PDA

View Full Version : Importing guns from AZ

cgseanp1
12-26-2008, 7:05 PM
I am an AZ resident, but live in CA (military). If I go home and buy a gun, what is the procedure to bring it back to CA? If I buy a hand gun in AZ, would I just have to register it once I brought it back to CA? Also, if I were to buy a rifle (like an AR type) I could just bring it back, assuming it is made to be CA legal?
Thanks

USN CHIEF
12-26-2008, 7:09 PM
As active duty military you do not have to register non assault weapons guns/rifles that you bring into the state of CA from your state of residence. You can also register Assault Weapons with the DOJ. go to the Members in the Service forum here in Cal Guns and the point of contact for the DOJ BoF AW permits point of contact is there.

cgseanp1
12-26-2008, 7:52 PM
As active duty military you do not have to register non assault weapons guns/rifles that you bring into the state of CA from your state of residence. You can also register Assault Weapons with the DOJ. go to the Members in the Service forum here in Cal Guns and the point of contact for the DOJ BoF AW permits point of contact is there.

Thanks, Chief. I am planning on calling the DOJ AW POC in a few days.. Someone on here mentioned that for me to be eligible for an AW permit, the guns would have had to been purchased before I joined the military.. Do you know if this is true? Either way, I'll give them a call. Thanks again

USN CHIEF
12-26-2008, 7:55 PM
Thanks, Chief. I am planning on calling the DOJ AW POC in a few days.. Someone on here mentioned that for me to be eligible for an AW permit, the guns would have had to been purchased before I joined the military.. Do you know if this is true? Either way, I'll give them a call. Thanks again

Not true at all. Just tell the DOJ lady that you have some AR's or AW's that you bought in AZ and that you would like to bring them here to CA while you are stationed here on Active Duty.

xLusi0n
12-26-2008, 8:17 PM
I'm sorta in the same boat...I don't know if it's true, but I was told it doesn't apply if you're actually a CA resident, it's for non-residents stationed in CA.

cgseanp1
12-26-2008, 8:32 PM
I'm sorta in the same boat...I don't know if it's true, but I was told it doesn't apply if you're actually a CA resident, it's for non-residents stationed in CA.

I am still an AZ resident.

Jpach
12-26-2008, 8:38 PM
Say if cgseanp1 were to successfully register his rifles as ARs, if he ever decided to move to cali would he be able to keep them in AW status or is it just a temporary military AW registration?

USN CHIEF
12-26-2008, 8:43 PM
Say if cgseanp1 were to successfully register his rifles as ARs, if he ever decided to move to cali would he be able to keep them in AW status or is it just a temporary military AW registration?

No. It is just while he is on active duty stationed in CA.