PDA

View Full Version : Hunting at Camp Roberts

muskater
12-25-2008, 8:04 PM
Has anybody ever hunted at Camp Roberts before? If so, how was it? For those of you who don't know, Camp Roberts is a Army/National Guard ( I think) base in Paso Robles, CA.

zrock
12-26-2008, 6:10 AM
Hunted pigs there years ago. No luck . It was weekends only back then. Very rough terrian 4x4 a must. Also hunted ft hunter ligget with the same results.
Lots of pig and deer tracks . Go a few times an get (scout) a lay of the land.
Then save your money and go with a guide service on private land . We saw hundreds of pigs and deer on the first morning .

AaronHorrocks
12-26-2008, 7:52 AM
Yes, Camp Roberts is a Army/National Guard base. I was there in March of this year for a reenactment. Didn't see much wild life, but I did see some very cute Army girls.

11Z50
12-26-2008, 7:57 AM
I spent quite a bit of time at both Camp Roberts and Fort Hunter-Liggett. Roberts is a CA NG training location and FHL is controlled by the US Army Reserve. Both host all kinds of units for training exercises. I was actually stationed at FHL for a year.

Although hunting is allowed at both locations it is highly restricted. In addition the law enforcement activity (base cops) at FHL is very oppressive and routinely harasses citizens on/around the installation. If you venture onto FHL, prepare to be hassled. Make sure you are completely legal with state law, and read all the FHL regs and requirements before you go there. Suffice to say in the year I was stationed there, I did not want to hunt on post. I hunted off-post on private land belonging to some nice folks I met in the area.

While there is some game on both installations, I would not recommend going there. I prefer to hunt in a much more pleasant situation, like private land. Check out the websites for more info. (google CR and FHL) There is no advantage, game-wise, and you're adding many restrictions and potential for harassment.

jbolton
12-26-2008, 1:32 PM
I spent quite a bit of time at both Camp Roberts and Fort Hunter-Liggett. Roberts is a CA NG training location and FHL is controlled by the US Army Reserve. Both host all kinds of units for training exercises. I was actually stationed at FHL for a year.

Although hunting is allowed at both locations it is highly restricted. In addition the law enforcement activity (base cops) at FHL is very oppressive and routinely harasses citizens on/around the installation. If you venture onto FHL, prepare to be hassled. Make sure you are completely legal with state law, and read all the FHL regs and requirements before you go there. Suffice to say in the year I was stationed there, I did not want to hunt on post. I hunted off-post on private land belonging to some nice folks I met in the area.

While there is some game on both installations, I would not recommend going there. I prefer to hunt in a much more pleasant situation, like private land. Check out the websites for more info. (google CR and FHL) There is no advantage, game-wise, and you're adding many restrictions and potential for harassment.

Never had that type of experience there but I can see the DOD being on a power trip. I think FHL is a great place to hunt, and camp. Camping is 10 bucks, and you will definitely need 4x4 to get around. Crazy trails, and with all the rain I can only imagen what they are like now. Just don't be stupid follow all hunting, and FHL rules, and you will have a great time. Tons of wildlife there. Deer, Elk, Yots, pigs, birds, snakes. I have heard that camp roberts is the same. Thats second hand though. FHL is good.

11Z50
12-26-2008, 4:05 PM
Never had that type of experience there but I can see the DOD being on a power trip. I think FHL is a great place to hunt, and camp. Camping is 10 bucks, and you will definitely need 4x4 to get around. Crazy trails, and with all the rain I can only imagen what they are like now. Just don't be stupid follow all hunting, and FHL rules, and you will have a great time. Tons of wildlife there. Deer, Elk, Yots, pigs, birds, snakes. I have heard that camp roberts is the same. Thats second hand though. FHL is good.

In my experience, the DoD LEA are a bunch of wanna be cops with not much to do. They like to hassle the troops, and any citizen who happens to be driving thru, on either Jolon or Fergusuon roads, which are public roadways. LEA cut a deal with Monterrey County so they can call the area "concurrent jurisdiction" and write CVC violations even though they are not California Peace Officers. I'm not sure this is actually legal, and it would probably not survive a serious challenge. While I was stationed there after 9-11, part of my units mission was to provide security at FHL. We observed FHL LEA hassle many citizens, arresting some on BS charges. They tried to hassle our troops but were quickly put in their place. They tried to screw with some Marines right after my unit left and there was a major riot.

If you hunt at or just pass thru FHL, be very careful and do not speed, have any mechanical violations, and be very careful with your firearms. LEA will stop you and you will get everything they can think of thrown at you. I've seen it done.

Camp Roberts is a bit more friendly and far more civilians frequent the post. It's right on the 101 about 15 miles north of Paso Robles. I have seen Deer and Pig there, as well as some Tule Elk. There are several hunts there per year, and you can find more info on their website.

tankerman
12-26-2008, 8:50 PM
I've hunted Camp Roberts and never had any problems, would not call it "highly restricted" either. You are provided a map of the open hunting areas, which is very easy to follow.

I've had luck in the heavy reeds around the river (suggest a shotgun, up close and personal), also the fence line adjacent to farms that have crops planted (buckwheat, etc..) early morning before they head into heavy cover.

You can try going into heavy cover in the mid-day, but beware and carry a fast handling large caliber gun for close range shots. Something capable of breaking heavy bones, like 45/70, 12 gauge slugs or 44mag and larger handgun calibers, ignore the idiots that say it's all about shot placement "you can kill them with a 223. I had an up close and personal experience with a 300+lb boar in heavy brush at Camp Robert, my scoped bolt gun was close to worthless in the stand-off which lasted about 10 minutes at a distance of 6'-10'. My best hope was for the hog to run into the barrel. We both ended up backing off after those very tense minutes.

If you use a 'squealer' while your in the brush, you better be on you toes.

Have taken good notes of Camp Roberts hunts over the years and do have a couple of fairly productive spots (a lot depends on season/tome of year).

11Z50
12-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Good luck to you all!!!!

Trapper
12-27-2008, 10:31 AM
If you are active duty or retired, drive two hours south and hunt Vandenberg. They have good numbers of pigs and deer and are very hunter friendly. Camping on base runs $8 per night and includes wireless internet and hot showers. BOQ rooms are available for around $30 a night.