PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous gun buyback asks for ID

JDay
12-25-2008, 12:50 AM
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-liguns2412301475dec24,0,5855767.story

JeffM
12-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Lesson learned:

Get cash in hand before anything else.

....Or..... DON'T BE A GOD D*** FOOL BY TURNING IN YOUR GUNS.

csmintel
12-25-2008, 12:56 AM
looks all junk that can blow up in yo face. still stupid though. some people are just stupid, herd of sheep, fire meat.

dreyna14
12-25-2008, 1:18 AM
My stepdad has a couple old absolutely useless broken guns that we might take down to a buy back. Then drive right over to a gun store and buy a new rifle. Sound like a good plan??

CABilly
12-25-2008, 1:22 AM
Stupid! But I agree with the quote in the article. Just because you're potentially incriminating yourself to a police officer does not mean you can't take the officer at their word that they won't do anything about it.

:innocent:

NiteQwill
12-25-2008, 1:46 AM
LOL

That's all too ironic. Give gun... *blank stare* We have no more gift cards... Can I have my gun back? No, it's illegal.

Geezus, people are retarded.

csmintel
12-25-2008, 1:50 AM
LOL

That's all too ironic. Give gun... *blank stare* We have no more gift cards... Can I have my gun back? No, it's illegal.

Geezus, people are retarded.

:rofl2:

tommyid1
12-25-2008, 8:12 AM
lulz it never stop's lol but it does make sense. in a "constitutional republic" we have "anonymous" gun buybacks lol

Scotty
12-25-2008, 8:32 AM
My stepdad has a couple old absolutely useless broken guns that we might take down to a buy back. Then drive right over to a gun store and buy a new rifle. Sound like a good plan??

Even better, buy some $20 airsoft pistols and wipe the orange paint off the muzzle. That makes them illegal by California law. I'd give it a try for a $200 Visa gift card. :D

fairfaxjim
12-25-2008, 8:56 AM
Not only are gun buybacks a fraudlulent use of taxpayers money, now they are defrauding and lying to the public on both ends of the deal.

Lessons learned:
1. If you participate in a fraud, expect to get burned.
2. Don't believe crooks & lyers, no matter what uniform they are wearing.
3. Change the 3 biggest lies to:
"The check is in the mail"
"I'll still love you in the morning"
"Sure it's anonymous, you can believe us, we're the PO-leeeece!"
4. And the biggest lesson:
DON'T BE A GOD D*** FOOL BY TURNING IN YOUR GUNS.

csmintel
12-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Even better, buy some $20 airsoft pistols and wipe the orange paint off the muzzle. That makes them illegal by California law. I'd give it a try for a $200 Visa gift card. :D

besides....cops behind receiving desk won't know the difference. the cop who held an SKS in his hand called it an AK47 comes to mind.:)

thegratenate
12-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Illegal guns, that's the pc way of saying personal defense tool.

It's kind of like calling an illegal immigrant a "migrant worker".

Or california calling anything with a qualifying combination of features an "assault weapon".

In the eyes of those operating these buybacks everygun that is not in the hands of an LEO is "illegal"

Vacaville
12-25-2008, 10:51 AM
If the guns were the woman's father's, how are they illegal? What is the criteria for deeming these guns illegal?

My thoughts exactly. What exactly would make the revolver the guy turned in illegal either? Unless the guy told the cops it had been used in a crime it shouldn't be. Maybe all guns are illegal in the state of New York now and we just weren't told about it.

Ground Loop
12-25-2008, 11:38 AM
I think it will take some strong "public service messages" to rid people (and stupid journalists) of the idea that old guns are illegal guns.

It seems there are quite a few people sitting on guns that have no measurable value to them. They're willing to trade them for gift cards and small amounts of cash.

Surely some enterprising Pawn Shop or legally-licensed dealer can set up a well-publicized "gun buyback" program that is run in a more orderly and profitable fashion?

From reading these articles, it sure seems that interested people are more confused about the legality of gun ownership than are actually dropping off gansta guns. If they could be convinced that a PPT form is not that big a deal, they could get more cash. That's the message to get out.

I'm always surprised as the nice quality arms that these "buybacks" receive. Stainless Ruger bull-barrel (Mk I?) 22? I've got your cash right here!

truthseeker
12-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Calling a SKS and AK47 is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist!

I would be raising hell if I turned in a functional and LEGAL handgun and then they tell me they are not giving it back because they ran out of money!!

Kid Stanislaus
12-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Stupid! But I agree with the quote in the article. Just because you're potentially incriminating yourself to a police officer does not mean you can't take the officer at their word that they won't do anything about it.

:innocent:

The courts have said the police can lie to us.

Wild Bill
12-26-2008, 7:21 AM
And you have to be a real idiot to believe anything the Police tell you!:D

AJAX22
12-26-2008, 8:39 AM

NO..... no no no no...

Don't play the game... if we play the game we never win...

What do you have? list them for sale for cheap... people are always looking for project guns... or cheap toys etc.

56Chevy
12-26-2008, 9:49 AM
My thoughts exactly. What exactly would make the revolver the guy turned in illegal either? Unless the guy told the cops it had been used in a crime it shouldn't be. Maybe all guns are illegal in the state of New York now and we just weren't told about it.
In NY nobody is allowed to own a handgun, unless they get a permit (home only, range/home, or carry). The process requires references and an extensive background check. The process requires up to 6 months. 6 months is supposed to be the maximum waiting time allowed by law , but many counties want you to wait as long as possible. After you go through the check then you still have to get permission to BUY a handgun.:rolleyes:

The woman's dad probably just gave her the guns. She probably never went through permit process.

I wanted to give my brothers in NY some of my "extra" handguns, but it would be too much of a hassle for them. They would probably never go through the process, and that's exactly what the antis want.

wksun88
12-26-2008, 9:55 AM
Owned.

People who were willing to turn in those guns and didn't get anything actually deserved it because it teaches them a lesson. Once you give it up (your right to bear arms), you're never getting it back.

fairfaxjim
12-26-2008, 12:29 PM
NO..... no no no no...

Don't play the game... if we play the game we never win...

What do you have? list them for sale for cheap... people are always looking for project guns... or cheap toys etc.

This is correct!!!!

This is an Us vs. Them, all guns are evil thing! It's grandstanding and using guns as the root of all evil!

If you participate, you validate their FUD and become their tool!