PDA

View Full Version : M1A 10/20 round mags?

brianm767
12-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Any one know where to get a 10 round mag in the 20 round mag bodies for the M1A? (10/20)

Seesm
12-24-2008, 11:05 PM
DO you mean blocking off 10 of the 20 so it's cali legal?

brianm767
12-25-2008, 11:32 AM
DO you mean blocking off 10 of the 20 so it's cali legal?

Yes, My brother just got a SOCOMII, he wants a 10rd Cali legal mag, but in a normal length 20 round mag body.

N_S
12-25-2008, 11:56 AM
It's legal but a risky move. If someone sees you at the range with what looks like a high-cap mag they might jump to conclusions and you might get in trouble.

antarius
12-25-2008, 2:04 PM
I don't think he's asking for legal advice. I think he wants a 10/20 magazine.

X-NewYawker
12-25-2008, 2:15 PM
It's legal but a risky move. If someone sees you at the range with what looks like a high-cap mag they might jump to conclusions and you might get in trouble.

If it was a hi-cap 20 rounder from before the ban he can use it in his SOCOM II without problems.

10 rounder easier to use of a BENCH, by the way...

brianm767
12-26-2008, 10:08 AM

Well first, we want a Cali legal mag, nothing shady or illegal, just like the 10/20 or 10/30 mags available for our AR's , and no matter what any one thinks, I don't believe we could get in trouble because you will not be able to load more than 10RD's in it, yah some ranges might still get all pissy and not allow you to shoot it, it's their property, and whether they are right or wrong, they get to decide who shoots what on their property, the good thing is, he doesn't shoot on a range, he has access to over 10,000 acres of foot hill property that he shoots on, so if he didn't care about the laws, he could just use high cap mags, but being that he and I are both law obiding citizens, he wants to stay legal.

But maybe we are a bit confused though, we were under the impression that he could not install a high cap mag that was manufactured prior to the ban and that he legally owned prior to the ban in this new Socom? he does have some old military surplus M14 mags that he's owned from the 70's or early eighties that he used in a rifle he owned back then ? but I don't know if they have the date of manufacture on them ? I'll have to ask him.

Oh and he's computerless at the present time, that's why I'm asking in his behalf.

We were just thinking some one probably made newly manufactured 10/20 rounders for the M1A's

I'll use the search button and see what I can find.

brianm767
12-26-2008, 10:10 AM
If it was a hi-cap 20 rounder from before the ban he can use it in his SOCOM II without problems.

10 rounder easier to use of a BENCH, by the way...

Yah the whole reason he wanted the 20 rounder body was because he was thinking it would be better from the bench??

renardsubtil
12-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I'm under the same impression that one cannot buy or even be given a pre-ban high cap mag currently, people who bought before the pre-ban are okay to use them...it's stupid imho, it's not like people kept receipts for that stuff anyways....

I've tried to find 10/20s and what not ever since I picked up my M1A, the only ones I knew that existed were bought at gun shows (Reno/Vegas) - other than that I did find a place to buy them in Canada but they're 5/20 and cost about $40 each. Personally, I like the longer mag on my M1A as it gives me another optional "grip" but that's just personal preference.

Here's the site I went to, i had to call them to confirm everything and remind them politely that California requires 10 rounds or less - apparently "canadia" is something like 5 rounds or less.
http://www.marstar.ca/index.shtm

brianm767
12-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I'm under the same impression that one cannot buy or even be given a pre-ban high cap mag currently, people who bought before the pre-ban are okay to use them...it's stupid imho, it's not like people kept receipts for that stuff anyways....

I've tried to find 10/20s and what not ever since I picked up my M1A, the only ones I knew that existed were bought at gun shows (Reno/Vegas) - other than that I did find a place to buy them in Canada but they're 5/20 and cost about $40 each. Personally, I like the longer mag on my M1A as it gives me another optional "grip" but that's just personal preference.

Here's the site I went to, i had to call them to confirm everything and remind them politely that California requires 10 rounds or less - apparently "canadia" is something like 5 rounds or less.
http://www.marstar.ca/index.shtm

Yes that is correct, unless you are LEO, you can not get any more high cap mags, I have tons of high caps for various rifles that I bought prior to the ban, I stocked up , but I didn't think we could use them in any newer guns, my brother also has pre ban high caps for a M1A and it's now sounding like he "can" legally use them in his Socom as long as it does not have any evil features, since he possessed them in Cali prior to their being banned.

one of the mags I stocked up on the most on was eagle arms 30rd 10/22 mags , I got a ton of them from Wally World for $7 at the time.

chsk9
12-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Any one know where to get a 10 round mag in the 20 round mag bodies for the M1A? (10/20)

Why?

brianm767
12-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Why?

Because that's what my brother wants, he prefers the longer mag housing.

chsk9
12-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Because that's what my brother wants, he prefers the longer mag housing.

Well there you have it! I have a bunch of 20 round M1A mags and I almost always use the 10 rounders I also have. They are better off a bench and I am not in such a rush I can't reload.

brianm767
12-26-2008, 1:01 PM
Well there you have it! I have a bunch of 20 round M1A mags and I almost always use the 10 rounders I also have. They are better off a bench and I am not in such a rush I can't reload.

Yep, it's all about personal preferences. he has some pre ban 20rders, but we thought we couldn't use them in his new Socom, but I guess he can, so we really don't need the 10/20's any more.

_Odin_
12-26-2008, 6:41 PM
no one sells 10/20 M1A mags ... I mean some folks might make and sell some on a custom basis, but theres no dedicated supplier for these.

my advice would be to purchase some magazine parts and make your own 10/20rd mags (that is - magazines that appear to be 20rd but are permanently modified to hold only 10rds); it's not hard to do if you have the time and drive to do it. As long as what you assemble cannot hold more than 10 rounds, it is legal.

gn3hz3ku1*
12-27-2008, 11:34 AM
no one sells 10/20 M1A mags ... I mean some folks might make and sell some on a custom basis, but theres no dedicated supplier for these.

my advice would be to purchase some magazine parts and make your own 10/20rd mags (that is - magazines that appear to be 20rd but are permanently modified to hold only 10rds); it's not hard to do if you have the time and drive to do it. As long as what you assemble cannot hold more than 10 rounds, it is legal.

i think im going to have to do that.. anyone have a write up?

jtv3062
12-27-2008, 12:56 PM
I posted a picture of my 5/20 mag. Looks pretty simple. make a tab and weld it to the follower.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=134495

CHS
12-27-2008, 7:42 PM
Wow.. Tons of replies, and all worthless.

To the OP:

Go to 44Mag Dot Com (http://www.44mag.com/)

Add one of these to your cart:
M1A Magazine 20rd USGI CMI (http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CM20)

Add one of these to your cart Also:
Rebuild Kit Option (http://www.44mag.com/products.asp?dept=1341)

You will receive in the mail all of the magazine parts needed to complete a 10/20 magazine rebuild/conversion. You will have to supply some sort of rivet or block inside the magazine to permanently pin it to 10rd's. Shouldn't be too hard.

That's a really good price on USGI 20rd M1A mags, too.

TrailerparkTrash
12-27-2008, 10:08 PM
...I have tons of high caps for various rifles that I bought prior to the ban, I stocked up , but I didn't think we could use them in any newer guns,
Yes, you can use your preban mags in BRAND NEW GUNS that accept them.

nwuboy
03-10-2009, 8:13 PM
anyone have a source for true pre-ban (pre-94) m1a/m14 20 round USGI mags?

HappyG
03-10-2009, 10:15 PM
CMI is good enough for most including the military, so I don't think a "true pre-ban" makes a difference of any sort.

Omega13device
03-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Pre-94 is not a relevant concept in CA. 20-round magazines cannot be legally sold in CA, period. If you owned some before the 2000 CA ban then you can purchase parts to repair the ones you already owned, but that's all.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
magazine.

CHS
03-10-2009, 10:37 PM

Why? You can't buy them.

If I could legally buy a hi-cap M1A mag in CA right now, I would buy the CMI's from 44mag.com. The price is the best, and they are the OEM for Springfield as well as the military.

odysseus
03-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I have a bunch of pre-ban m1a 20rnd mags I bought before the ban. I shoot with them all the time, no one cares - nor should they, nothing in that is assumable to be illegal. I will give someone a stern talking to if I was ever approached about that.

On the comment of buying a 10/20 m1a mag, you will have to build your own. These are not in demand from what I can see. The last time I saw this brought up here, I commented that I would prefer 20 rounds that would fit in 10 rnd mag. In the m1a with the original stock config, the 20 rnd mag can snag a bit and be a bit of a protrusion. I wouldn't do it if I couldn't legally run a 20 rnd mag. Sometimes I just load a 10rnd on the firing line.

Taggart
04-29-2009, 10:27 PM
A lotta confused info being floated in this thread.

- No range is going to challenge your use of standard-capacity (10+) magazines, nor will anyone else, unless you use one to rob a bank or something. They are perfectly legal to possess and use, as long as you already possessed them before 2000, which of course you did (so did I).

- CMI magazines work perfectly and those rebuild kits from 44mag.com are very handy. Mine have been "rebuilt" a number of times.

CHS
04-29-2009, 10:32 PM
- CMI magazines work perfectly and those rebuild kits from 44mag.com are very handy. Mine have been "rebuilt" a number of times.

Agreed. I am *VERY* happy with my CMI 20rd USGI M1A/M14 mags.

Plus, they just look better in the M1A/M14 platform than the dedicated 10rd'ers.

hawk81
04-30-2009, 2:38 AM
44mag.com.