PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal?

Scope
12-24-2008, 5:00 PM
I would like to buy a shotgun from my uncle, who lives 4+ hours away. To save myself time, I would like to have my dad buy it (he lives near to my uncle) and then do an intra-familial transfer at my convenience. Is this legal or would it be considered a straw-buy?

Quiet
12-24-2008, 6:26 PM
I would like to buy a shotgun from my uncle, who lives 4+ hours away. To save myself time, I would like to have my dad buy it (he lives near to my uncle) and then do an intra-familial transfer at my convenience. Is this legal or would it be considered a straw-buy?

Your dad and uncle would need to PPT it.

After the 10 day wait, your dad could gift it to you.

If you can legally own a firearm, then it is not a "straw-buy". Since, buying a firearm for the purpose of gifting it is allowed by the Feds.

Scope
12-24-2008, 7:24 PM
Your dad and uncle would need to PPT it.

After the 10 day wait, your dad could gift it to you.

If you can legally own a firearm, then it is not a "straw-buy". Since, buying a firearm for the purpose of gifting it is allowed by the Feds.

Thanks. I have never been real clear on what the definition of a straw-buy is, which is why I asked. I will go ahead and do as you suggest.

rayra
12-24-2008, 10:46 PM
'straw purchase' is a legal buyer purchasing a firearm with the intent of giving it to someone legally barred from owning firearms.

bohoki
12-24-2008, 10:56 PM
i think it has to be parent child only

cause if brothers are allowed then why not uncles to nephews?

so to do the father to son thing is your grandfather alive?

Quiet
12-24-2008, 11:01 PM
i think it has to be parent child only

cause if brothers are allowed then why not uncles to nephews?

so to do the father to son thing is your grandfather alive?

Intrafamilia transfer is between grandparent/parent/child/grandchild.

Uncles/aunts/cousins/brothers/sisters/nephews/nieces have to transfer through a FFL dealer.

Riodog
12-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Suggesting/advocating illegal activity is not allowed here.

Rio

bwiese
12-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Suggesting/advocating illegal activity is not allowed here.

Rio

Ignore the above #@$%^.

Do it right. Things can come back to bite when least expected.

MP301
12-24-2008, 11:55 PM
He said #$%^&! HHahahahahaha :rofl2::laugh::laugh::rofl2:

Mikeb
12-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Is the shotgun old enough that it could be face to face transfer? I believe it must be 50 years old.
take care
Mike

GunSlut
12-25-2008, 11:18 AM
'straw purchase' is a legal buyer purchasing a firearm with the intent of giving it to someone legally barred from owning firearms.

Not according to the feds. Watch the ATF/NSSF tape "don't lie for the other guy". The first scenario they go over is a husband trying to buy a handgun for his wife. They make him buy a gift certificate for HER to buy the gun.

Quiet
12-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Not according to the feds. Watch the ATF/NSSF tape "don't lie for the other guy". The first scenario they go over is a husband trying to buy a handgun for his wife. They make him buy a gift certificate for HER to buy the gun.

The back of the ATF 4473 form, which you fill out to purchase a firearm, says it's ok.

1. For the purpose of this form, you are the actual buyer if you are purchasing the firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (for example, reclaiming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment). You are also the actual buyer if you are aquiring the firearm as a legitimate gift for a third party.

bohoki
12-25-2008, 1:47 PM
Intrafamilia transfer is between grandparent/parent/child/grandchild.

Uncles/aunts/cousins/brothers/sisters/nephews/nieces have to transfer through a FFL dealer.

thought so

so if you would have to gift crawl it up or down generations

convoluted hypothetical example
like he could give it to his son his son gives it to his mother who is your fathers sister then she gives it to ger mother your grandmother then she gives it to your father he vives it to you

or another option he could adopt you