PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kelly running for AG?

hoffmang
12-23-2008, 9:25 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/capitolalertlatest/018071.html

I've known Chris since I was an amici on Diamond v. RIAA and then on to his Excite/@Home days... This could be an interesting wrinkle.

-Gene

Shotgun Man
12-23-2008, 9:28 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/capitolalertlatest/018071.html

I've known Chris since I was an amici on Diamond v. RIAA and then on to his Excite/@Home days... This could be an interesting wrinkle.

-Gene

So is he your friend? Do you like him? Is he pro RKBA?

savageevo
12-23-2008, 9:29 PM
Friend or foe?

gunsmith
12-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Kamela Harris is also running, SFPD has hated her since she ruled out capital punishment in a cop killer trial, she is really anti gun, giving thugs time credit for community service to protest at gun shows, she would be a nightmare

hoffmang
12-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Being a business acquaintance means I haven't spent a lot of time with him on this issue but it looks like its time to take him to lunch.

-Gene

rayra
12-23-2008, 10:56 PM
meh.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/12/22/facebook-chief-privacy-officer-chris-kelly-to-run-for-california-attorney-general/

Democrat AND an exec at a cesspit social networking site.

That's two strikes as far as I'm concerned. Then I got to this -

"He also served as an education advisor in the Clinton Administration"

:/

Baker & Mckenzie - Business / Corporate law.
Wilson Sonsini, basically the same.

We need a REAL AG. Someone with criminal / justice background, someone with investigatory and prosecution background, someone with law enforcement background. Not some Business schlub. Nor someone like Brown, staying on the public dole all their adult life, just changing the title on their letterhead.

cartman
12-24-2008, 1:39 AM
Kamela Harris is also running, SFPD has hated her since she ruled out capital punishment in a cop killer trial, she is really anti gun, giving thugs time credit for community service to protest at gun shows, she would be a nightmare

So your saying she'll win by a landslide in this state?:p

sierratangofoxtrotunion
12-24-2008, 10:06 AM
He's an exec at Facebook?

And he's "had much interaction with state-level attorneys general?"

I'll need more than this.

hoffmang
12-24-2008, 10:55 AM
I'll need more than this.

I don't have an opinion yet on him as AG - I just happen to know him and have worked with him off and on over the last 10 years.

I'll catch up with him in January and see where his head is at.

-Gene

BobB35
12-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Great another attorney from the Bay Area....don't expect much.

Who in the Legislature is pro-RKBA? Some of the old ones were termed out this year, did we get any good replacements? Anyone willing to put some pro-gun legislation in the hopper? Things aren't going to change unless people put it out there and from what I have seen the focus in CA seems to be strictly defensive. Every year the gun grabbers come back and try to pass the same laws. Why isn't there a Shall issue CCW law on the books every year? Then pressure on the elected to move on it.

This should be possible. Heck you had states in the last 20 years go from NO right to SHALL issue. What is our hope - Federal law like HR 218?

bg
12-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Anything Democrat like here in Ca, gives me the creeps..

383green
12-24-2008, 12:43 PM
If the AG does their job correctly, then their political party of choice doesn't matter. Their job is to correctly interpret and execute the laws that already exist, not to make new ones based on their political views.

What party Chris Kelly happens to be in isn't the important question; whether he'll do the job competently and without personal bias is what we need to figure out.

The AG can make or break a lot of important things other than firearms laws. An AG who will bring their political bias to the job would be a bad thing, even if they happen to be pro-2nd Amendment. Legislators are expected to act upon their party's principles, but an AG is supposed to be unbiased.

Gene, I hope you'll probe him on a lot more issues than just the 2nd Amendment ones, so that we can all develop a well-informed opinion about whether we should support him or oppose him.

Disclaimer: I don't know the guy, and I don't have any opinion about him yet.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't have an opinion yet on him as AG - I just happen to know him and have worked with him off and on over the last 10 years.

I'll catch up with him in January and see where his head is at.

-Gene

That's fair.

Actually, having somebody talk to him and get a feel for him is actually a lot more useful than a campaign website with bullet party-line talking points.

383green
12-24-2008, 1:09 PM
Actually, having somebody talk to him and get a feel for him is actually a lot more useful than a campaign website with bullet party-line talking points.

Very well-said! We may or may not decide to support him, but in either case we may be able to make a much better-informed decision about him than for any other candidate (other than Kamela Harris, that is ;)).

hoffmang
12-24-2008, 2:22 PM
I've interacted with Kamela enough to know that we shouldn't support her as AG...

-Gene

artherd
12-24-2008, 2:28 PM
I've interacted with Kamela enough to know that we shouldn't support her as AG...

-Gene

Anyone ever mention that you have a knack for calculated understatement ;)

Sac Bee does get that as an April 1 joke - RIGHT? :clueless:

UPDATE: hehehehe http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/12/23/the-april-fools-joke-that-keeps-on-giving/

erik
05-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Gene, did you ever get a chance to have lunch with Chris?