PDA

View Full Version : Have you introduced someone to shooting this year?

Vectrexer
12-23-2008, 2:50 PM
For you 2A proponents out there I have a poll that run in the in the vein of putting your time (and maybe money) where your mouth is.

How many people have you introduced another person to shooting this year? The intro could be on a formal range, in the field, on BLM land, or even in the backyard (for those of you fortunate enough to have BIG yards and reasonable laws.

pdq_wizzard
12-23-2008, 2:53 PM
For you 2A proponents out there I have a poll that run in the in the vein of putting your time (and maybe money) where your mouth.

How many people have you introduced another person to shooting this year? The intro could be on a formal range, in the field, on BLM land, or even in the backyard (for those of you fortuate enough to have BIG yards and reasonable laws.

yep, took my Obama voting :eek: neighbor shooting last month and she even had fun :cool:

glockfu
12-23-2008, 2:57 PM
Only 1 new shooter but I've gotten about 3 into the off list lower scene and a whole lot more interested and informed about it (I have no idea how many).

Last night I went shooting and I brought out my HK USC. Needless to say, there were lots of on lookers. There was this one guy that kept coming back to my lane and started asking me questions about it. Then I offered to let him shoot it just because I remembered all you folks here at Calguns ;)

Oh and of course he loved it!

sorensen440
12-23-2008, 2:58 PM
Yes 3

Arkalius
12-23-2008, 3:00 PM
The company I worked for recently acquired a company in the UK. Some of their employees had come here to work for a few months, and we took them (and a few other local people who hadn't shot before) to the local range to shoote some handguns. They had a great time and really enjoyed it. It kind of made me feel bad that those guys from the UK will not be able to do that again when they go back home, but I am glad they got the chance to do it while here and that they enjoyed it. I recall one of them talking about how it was a lot more fun than they thought it would be.

EricC
12-23-2008, 3:09 PM
My coworker took me and my fiance to the range a couple of months ago and we shot his revolver. We both really liked it. I've since bought an HK P2000 and become hooked on this site. I'm going to take both of my brothers shooting this Christmas break.

Ironchef
12-23-2008, 3:10 PM
I took 4 non-shooters shooting this year, 2 became shooters, and one just got his first gun! And I got two people to sign up as members of the gun club I belong to.

I guess that "real" activism should neutralize my vote for Obama so we'll call it even. Or am I still single handedly destroying the country? lol

VegasND
12-23-2008, 3:10 PM
I'm a school teacher and I talk about guns and shooting with the staff--and students. Several of the school employees have gone shooting with me in the last few years.

I have an open invitation to take anyone shooting and I occasionally get taken up on it. I've got 2 teachers (and the daughter of one) who want to go as soon as we can all find time together to go as a group. And, I've got a Dean who's new to my school who told me last Thursday he'd like to go shooting. At least 2 people at my school have asked me about CCW (one reason I don't believe in keeping exercising your rights secret) and one of them has started the paperwork to get his permit.

I have also taken several people who are not school employees and their kids shooting in the last few years.

While some people are in a truly hostile environment, I think many people are just too timid about gun rights and interests.

nicki
12-23-2008, 3:15 PM
This is not just one way guys, we get the new shooters feedback as well.

This is one way for us to break stereotypes.

Invest some time and some MONEY, yeah, I know.

The issue is if you won't do it, don't expect someone else to do it either.

Imagine if every NRA member in California took someone new shooting each month, and during the time shooting they got a chance to educate the non shooter about guns.

If that happened we wouldn't have a gun control problem in this state.

Nicki

Ironchef
12-23-2008, 3:17 PM
This is not just one way guys, we get the new shooters feedback as well.

This is one way for us to break stereotypes.

Invest some time and some MONEY, yeah, I know.

The issue is if you won't do it, don't expect someone else to do it either.

Imagine if every NRA member in California took someone new shooting each month, and during the time shooting they got a chance to educate the non shooter about guns.

If that happened we wouldn't have a gun control problem in this state.

Nicki

Take your gay liberal friends! Take a television or news producer! Restore gun culture NOW!

Cnynrat
12-23-2008, 3:18 PM
My wife and I introduced ourselves to shooting this year - does that count?

Chris M
12-23-2008, 3:36 PM
I've introduced my mother- and father-in-law to shooting and many friends.
Total of 13 people if you count the family of 4 that I took trap shooting...except the kids didn't shoot. They're only 3 and 5, and have no gun-handling experience. They had fun watching their mom and dad learn to shoot though.

I've also got about 10-12 other friends, and 5 or so co-workers, that have expressed interest - I just need to get them out there one of these days.

I feel like I should become a certified NRA instructor or something.

I'm still a horrible shot. I think I spend more time teaching others the basics than I do actually shooting.

valleyguy
12-23-2008, 3:38 PM
I've taken 5 people so far this year -- my wife, and 4 friends or friends of friends (the 4 within 3 weeks of eachother). I've also given certain coworkers I like an open invitation if they ever want to go.

I'll probably re-introduce my father, who I think has not shot since his Air Force days in the late 60s/early 70s in Alaska.

M. Sage
12-23-2008, 4:37 PM
All I managed was two, but one wound up buying a gun. :D

slowfire
12-23-2008, 7:25 PM
Four people so far. Two from work, one relative and one childhood friend who always wanted to shoot but didn't know anyone who had the experience to actually bring someone.

Vectrexer
12-23-2008, 7:30 PM
My wife and I introduced ourselves to shooting this year - does that count?

I would say yes since you had to take each other. :)

Vectrexer
12-23-2008, 7:34 PM
My most interesting new shooter recently was a person from work. Anther friend and I took this person out to a local range. Afterward I later learned that he took his son shooting and even bought him a shotgun. His son bagged his first duck this year on a father-son outing.

I am glad that introducing a person at work allowed the sport to be passed onto his son and resulted in another family outing.

Nefarious
12-23-2008, 7:35 PM
Not only have I taken some people shooting for the first time. I have even got some of them to purchase their own firearm! ;)

leelaw
12-23-2008, 7:37 PM
I've instructed about 60 people this year. About 1/3rd of those were completely new to shooting.

RANDO
12-23-2008, 7:39 PM
my mom.

JTecalo
12-23-2008, 7:40 PM
My 2 sons this year, working on my wife but that's gonna take time.

12many
12-23-2008, 7:43 PM
I have taken two friends from work. They both loved it. I supplied all the ammo and cleaned the guns myself when we were done. One of them has purchased a 30-30 and the other is looking to buy a handgun. I also just purchased a Marlin model 60 for my son. He has been asking for his own rifle all year. Can't wait to see his face Christmas morning.:D

SDI
12-23-2008, 9:18 PM
Good topic.

It is what I do.

Sunwolf
12-23-2008, 9:57 PM
About 15-20 this year.

jb7706
12-23-2008, 11:50 PM
After 10 years I finally converted my wife and got her on the range. She was upset because she couldn't put two rounds through one hole. :D Talk about competitive!

NiteQwill
12-24-2008, 1:44 AM
I had the pleasure of introducing shooting to over 12 people this year! I'm actually excited about that achievement!

GW
12-24-2008, 2:01 AM
1 A woman who wanted empowerment.
And now she has power;)

Cranium
12-24-2008, 6:54 AM
I get a new batch of German interns semi-annually, and I take them to the range at least once during their internships. Strange though... They keep wanting to move into the lane next to them as well...
So that's 12 right there. May not count towards educating new American shooters, but at least it may have changed their outlook a tad when they go home.
Then there's the other coworkers that have come from time to time. Hmmm... Now that I think about it, I wish I could change my answer! There's been a lot more this year than usually!
The one common factor I've seen with every new shooter is that they've ALL had a ton of fun. And generally they're quite surprised and proud of their scores.

sloguy
12-24-2008, 7:03 AM
i try to take one or more non shooters out shooting every month.

BroncoBob
12-24-2008, 7:04 AM
I help convince a guy at work to start shooting. He liked it so much he bought himself a real nice S&W 40 cal semi auto pistol.

Fire in the Hole
12-24-2008, 7:14 AM
Yeah, I joined Big Brothers of America this year, and have taken my young charge to the range with me on several occasions. It's his favorite activity.

stphnman20
12-24-2008, 7:22 AM
I've taken my girlfriends sister and friend this year.. Both like it very much!

74man
12-24-2008, 8:56 AM
I took my grand-daughter shooting this summer. She said that she found a new favorite sport. She shot my .22 Henry A7 survival rifle and my .22 High Standard 9 shot target pistol. Her dad is a CHP and went with us to help supervise. He taught her the Safety rules she needed to understand before going to the range. I plan on taking her Sheet shooting when she is 12. I also took my Daughter, 35 years old, for her first time. She was scared at first but said she would like to go again. She always stated that she was afraid of firearms, I hope that her fear of firearms turns into respect for firearms.

Fire in the Hole
12-24-2008, 8:59 AM
I took my grand-daughter shooting this summer. She said that she found a new favorite sport. She shot my .22 Henry A7 survival rifle and my .22 High Standard 9 shot target pistol. Her dad is a CHP and went with us to help supervise. He taught her the Safety rules she needed to understand before going to the range. I plan on taking her Sheet shooting when she is 12. I also took my Daughter, 35 years old, for her first time. She was scared at first but said she would like to go again. She always stated that she was afraid of firearms, I hope that her fear of firearms turns into respect for firearms.

Sheet shooting is a blast. Perhaps just start out with pillow cases for zeroing.

Mute
12-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Off the top of my head, this year, about 5 kids and and 8 adults.

Turbinator
12-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Yup, but I've slowed down nowadays. I got a friend into shooting this year, much to the dismay of his wife. She's ok with guns, but not ok with how much it costs. :) Story of our lives, huh guys? He bought a couple guns, not sure what's next on the horizon.

Turby

radioburning
12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
I've brought about 6-7 non-shooters to the range over the last year. Some girls, some guys. Weird coincidence, some of my friends now have guns very similar to mine?:cool:

Ironman
12-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Bought my 11 y.o. son a Ruger 10/22 and he also started shooting my G17. Took 2 friends to USPSA match and they shoot occasionally. Next is my wife soon. :hurray:

Angie
12-24-2008, 11:41 PM
I think four or five, all females. My cousin, a co-worker, and a few friends. Now my cousin loves shooting trap, and my co-worker wants to buy a pistol! Hooray for girls who like guns :)

domokun
12-25-2008, 10:14 PM
After 10 years I finally converted my wife and got her on the range. She was upset because she couldn't put two rounds through one hole. :D Talk about competitive!

Tell her the day she successfully completes that endeavor repeatedly that you'll get her own pistol? :D

pfl101
12-26-2008, 8:45 AM
At my workplace, which is loaded with liberals, I have been discussing the subject on an individual basis. Most people seem to be initially horrified by the subject ("You're a gun owner? Should we be scared of you?"). After a minute of discussion, though, they're asking if they can come to the range "to see what it's like."

yellowfin
12-26-2008, 1:06 PM
Got my wife on the range a lot more and my father in law for the first time, and coworkers for maybe their second time for some and many for the first. It's a start.

NRAhighpowershooter
12-26-2008, 1:16 PM
I'm getting my 10yr old grandson involved in Jr. Smallbore :) He shows promise. :) My granddaughter is 6yrs oldand is showing an interest, so maybe next year I'll get her out to the range with one of my little 22lr's :)

mroels
12-27-2008, 4:37 AM
Can we add to the poll: I've tried but most people I know just really don't want to.

Paladin
12-31-2008, 9:38 PM
I didn't do very well this year -- only took 1 newbie shooting. But then again, I went shooting twice this past year! :mad: Hopefully, I'll finally be able to meet up w/my sister and her three teen boys this weekend to intro them to handgun shooting.

I did teach 2 others about firearms, but only at home -- a general firearms, ammo, gun safety, personal safety, and self-defense discussion and demonstration.

Hopefully I made up for it by giving 8 extended family members 1-year NRA memberships: everyone from my 80+ y.o. uncle (America's 1st Freedom) to my 3 y.o. nephew (can't start 'em too young!. I just hope the Junior Member's magazine, InSights, has a bunch of pictures! :D) The discounted Annual memberships made great stocking stuffers this year.

emc002
12-31-2008, 9:58 PM
My mom & aunt took a Women & Shooting Class after shooting with me & my son. That's 2.
Took 3 co-workers, +3
Took my 3 cousins, their friend, my sister & her husband Thanksgiving. That's 6 more.
ETA: 1 Canadian

Yep, 11 12 this year. Yay me! :D

Pugster
12-31-2008, 10:01 PM
I brought my two brothers. I also brought a college friend and her buddy from Indonesia; it's true that girls can shoot :)

StarStripes00
12-31-2008, 10:13 PM
My wife, brother, and long time friend

bigstick61
01-01-2009, 2:33 AM
Introduced a buddy who's wanted to go for a long time but couldn't. He wants to get more into it and buy something once he has more money, but my taking him shooting only reinforced this. I also introduced a former room mate of mine this year. He's a Chinaman from Hong Kong. His aunt actually forced him to move out when she found out about it, and his mother was pissed. Hence he is a former room mate. I'm not sure how into it he'll get. Depends on whether he gets his green card or not.

fwaptrout
01-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I have introduced at least four new people to shooting in 2008, by way of NRA Highpower Rifle matches at the Angeles Shooting Range. The Golden Bears Highpower Club (I am a member) holds 100 yard reduced NRA type matches the third Sunday of each month and I have found this a great way to introduce people to safe shooting with instant feedback. The respons has been very positive, with 3 out of the 4 returing to try another match.

Golden Bears matches are open to the public and newcomers welcomed and encouraged. Third Sunday of each month, about 8:30am for setup, match starts at 9:15am, at Angeles Shooting Range in SoCal.

http://www.goldenbears.org/index.html

CSACANNONEER
01-01-2009, 12:59 PM
None this year. I plan on changing that either tomarrow or saturday though! I hope to get my 9 year old cousin out to Angeles to shoot my 1919 and some .22s.

Oldnoob
01-01-2009, 11:23 PM
It's lest year now but my idea was more people enjoy shooting less people would willing to take my guns away. I want to double the number this year.

armygunsmith
01-02-2009, 12:02 AM
When i was in the Army i was a small arms/artillery repairman and weapons instructor. This past year, i introduced about 12 people to shooting. All of them shot my OLL AR-15 and pistols. The best thing was that 5 of those people asked me to build them their first OLL AR-15's and 2 others purchased pistols. I love to teach people firearms and safety. The more people we introduce to this great sport, the more informed people we have out there and more people protecting our 2A rights.

dustoff31
01-02-2009, 9:46 AM
I instructed at two NRA women on Target courses with a total of 73 ladies shooting. We don't keep records on first time shooters, but I'd say that it's about 80%. We have two more courses scheduled for the coming year.