PDA

View Full Version : Can a felon possess loaded ammunition?

SteveH
12-23-2008, 1:12 PM
I know its illegal under federal law. My instincts tell me is probably illegal under state law too.

Anyone know a PC section that prohibits to possession of live ammunition by convicted felons?

Fjold
12-23-2008, 1:30 PM
If it's illegal under Federal law what does it matter what the state law says? Do you like Federal pens better than State ones?

Shotgun Man
12-23-2008, 1:59 PM
Yeah, it is illegal. Look at P.C. 12316:

(b)(1) No person prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or [...] shall own, possess, or have under his or her custody or control, any ammunition or reloaded ammunition.

(2) For purposes of this subdivision, “ammunition” shall include, but not be limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or projectile capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence.

(3) A violation of this subdivision is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed one year or in the state prison, by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment

You cannot even have a magazine, clip, or speedloader. Plus it can be charged as a felony.

rayra
12-23-2008, 10:15 PM
This was teh predicate for Sacramento registering and reviewing ammo sales. They were comparing purchaser info to their criminal database, then conducting searches on convicted persons who were under probation / parole to catch them with firearms.

/and along the way accruing a raft of data on everyone buying ammo and what types of firearms they might have.

becxltoo984
12-23-2008, 10:56 PM
off topic a bit ... But They also At least in Ca CAN NOT own any black powder firearms !