PDA

View Full Version : Interested in .50 DTC Ultralite upper???

mikeinla
12-23-2008, 9:29 AM
I am not sure what section to post-please move if in wrong forum

Would anybody be interested in an Ultralite .50 DTC upper. These uppers will fit a standard OLL. Right now they are only making .50 BMG but I talked to the owner of the company and he said if he could get 10+ people, he make make the .50 DTC for people in CALIFORNIA. These are machined one peice.
I shot one this weekend and they are amazing. Please PM me with interested or add your name to this post.
I am new to the .50 DTC so anyone of any further information on these PLEASE add any other information.
Mike

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr159/mikeinla100/work/ultralite.jpg

ULTRALITE 50 UPPER 22" BARREL
[UL50-22"] $1,600.00

This complete upper assembly is custom designed and engineered using high quality materials and workmanship. Features include:

Action: Single Shot
Chambering: .50BMG Standard
Barrel Length: 22"
Overall Length: 36.5" (with lower, not included)
Upper Assembly Weight: 12.2 lbs
Barrel: 4140 Chrome Moly alloy steel, 1:15 twist
Muzzle Brake: Highly Effective, 8 port style.
Scope mount: 7075 aluminum (black anodized) Picatinny rail cut out for optional iron sights.
Bolt Head: 2 lug, machined from 4340 alloy steel.
Finish: Parkerized (manganese phosphate)
Hammer: 1018 Case Hardened Carbon Steel. One (1) supplied to replace AR15/M16.
Sling Studs: M1/M1A type (Sling not included)
Fluted barrel optional
Estimated Delivery time:4 to 6 weeks
One year parts and labor warranty

Hoop
12-23-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm interested but would like to hear what kind of grouping they are capable of, I've read reviews were several failed to get sub-MOA.

Also, probably get moved to the Commercial Sales forum.

wooger
12-23-2008, 2:33 PM
I'm in.

draconianruler
12-23-2008, 7:18 PM

Ditto.

Is there going to be a group buy discount on the price? If so, I might be interested pending the cost. Incase you didn't know, there are other Mfg's that are currently making 50DTC uppers.

ohsmily
12-23-2008, 8:03 PM
I'm interested but would like to hear what kind of grouping they are capable of, I've read reviews were several failed to get sub-MOA.

Sub MOA is usually a tall order for large caliber guns 338 and up.

What 50 BMGs did you have any mind that are guaranteed <1MOA guns?

wooger
12-23-2008, 8:08 PM
Hi Mike,
You getting any traction?

hoozaru
12-23-2008, 8:56 PM
count me in

CSACANNONEER
12-23-2008, 9:26 PM
Sub MOA is usually a tall order for large caliber guns 338 and up.

What 50 BMGs did you have any mind that are guaranteed <1MOA guns?

I've shot <.5 moa, 5 shot groups at 1000 yards, with my ALS upper. I've also shot < .6 moa, 5 shot groups at 1000 yards with my AR50. These are confirmed groups, shot during matches so, they can be verified. Of course, my ammo is rolled at home to match each rifle and, I can't do it all the time.

The 50s that I've seen shoot sub moa at matches have been:

custom rifles built on BAT actions
custom rifles buit on Mc Bros actions
Mc Millian buit rifles
AR50s
Vipers
EDM rifles (takedowns and benchrest rifles)
ALS uppers
Ferret uppers
State Arms rifles
a couple various home builds

Personally, I've never seen these guns shoot sub moa

Barrett all (but, I know a 99 can)
Vulcan (I don't want to be near one)
Watson Weapons uppers (PITA to load)
Bohica uppers (here's an open challenge for someone to bring one to a match)
LAR Grizzly
Ultralites or Ultramags (I like them though)
Nemesis (I've shot one and I'm sure this can though)
Styer (not too many in the country)
Serbu

grammaton76
12-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Personally, I've never seen these guns shoot sub moa

Bohica uppers (here's an open challenge for someone to bring one to a match)

Keep me posted on how this turns out. I've seen threads where folks claim they're getting ~1moa out of their Bohicas, but it'd hold more credence for me from someone I've shared a board with for a while.

draconianruler
12-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Keep me posted on how this turns out. I've seen threads where folks claim they're getting ~1moa out of their Bohicas, but it'd hold more credence for me from someone I've shared a board with for a while.

My Bohica was shooting holes about 1.5 inches apart with forming loads at 100yards. I'm sure with better loads and more practice, I could reach 1moa.

CSACANNONEER
12-24-2008, 6:42 AM

I have a friend who says that his DTC MKI (SN 001) can shoot at least as well as his Windrunner and, he has shot .5 moa with his Windrunner, during matches. So, I believe that, at least some Bohicas are capable of this. I just haven't seen one do it. But, I also believe that Bohica has not got their QC down yet.

grammaton76
12-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I have a friend who says that his DTC MKI (SN 001) can shoot at least as well as his Windrunner and, he has shot .5 moa with his Windrunner, during matches. So, I believe that, at least some Bohicas are capable of this. I just haven't seen one do it. But, I also believe that Bohica has not got their QC down yet.

Interesting. For what it's worth, I have 004, and I know the guy who's got 007.

Trakker
12-29-2008, 12:24 AM
count me in....
of course depending on price range

mrkubota
01-27-2009, 10:09 AM
I just spoke with the UltraLite50 guy and he's still willing to do a run of .50DTC conversion as well as some .416Barrett if there's sufficient interest in those as well!

nevs83
01-27-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm interested

kmadan
01-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Interested - keep me posted on details.

rangertmldr
01-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I'd like a .416 if he does a run on those

Peter W Bush
02-24-2009, 3:34 AM
i would be interested in a similar upper but with a longer barrel.. is that possible for UltraLite50 to make?

nevs83
02-24-2009, 8:53 AM
Whats the status on this? Is he going to make them or what?

mrkubota
02-25-2009, 5:16 AM
i would be interested in a similar upper but with a longer barrel.. is that possible for UltraLite50 to make?

Yes, these would be a 'custom' order anyway, but you'll likely pay a bit more for the extra length.

mrkubota
02-25-2009, 5:17 AM
Whats the status on this? Is he going to make them or what?

It looks like there is interest from 7 people at this time.
We need to have at least 10 commitments to place an order.

//Ben

Futurecollector
02-25-2009, 8:16 AM
I know its kinda a funny question but how do you load it? a regular OLL isnt nearly large enough for a .50 DTC to fit in the mag well? thanks

ke6guj
02-25-2009, 11:35 AM
the 50BMG/DTC uppers are bolt-action uppers with a big ol loading port in the side of the upper. It does not feed through the mag well.

Peter W Bush
02-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Yes, these would be a 'custom' order anyway, but you'll likely pay a bit more for the extra length.

Thats fine, as long as its reasonable. How do these uppers compare to Bohicas?

Tier One Arms
02-25-2009, 12:20 PM
This would have to be installed on a registered lower, correct?

ke6guj
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
No, it could be installed on a non-RAW off-list lower because it is .510DTC, not .50BMG. A .50BMG upper would need to be installed on a RAW lower.

Tier One Arms
02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
So where do you get this ammunition?

ke6guj
02-25-2009, 1:02 PM
either roll your own, or order from MrKubota on this forum, http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/rsr/rsr_prices.htm

evollep3
02-25-2009, 1:36 PM
you can add me to the list

twistedtahoe
02-25-2009, 1:57 PM
anyone wanna go halfies on a bastard....i've got a complete lower for one

mikeinla
02-25-2009, 2:13 PM
I just talked to Marcos(the owner of the company) and he said he needs at least 20 people to justify doing .510 DTC uppers. Please let him know if you are interested. Here is his contact information....

http://www.ultralite50.com/

I am in, so now we only need 19 more people

Mike

twistedtahoe
02-25-2009, 2:20 PM
I just talked to Marcos(the owner of the company) and he said he needs at least 20 people to justify doing .510 DTC uppers. Please let him know if you are interested. Here is his contact information....

http://www.ultralite50.com/

I am in, so now we only need 19 more people

Mike

are they still 4-6 weeks and $1600

Peter W Bush
02-25-2009, 7:51 PM
im in if the price is right.. i also need to know how long it will take. im looking for a 30" barrel

Peter W Bush
03-06-2009, 2:40 AM
any updates??

BillyGoatMachine
03-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Count me in. I think this shout be moved to the rifleman's forum?

sierra
03-25-2009, 12:39 PM
how do the one's he'd be making compare to these, ready for delivery at $1295:

http://www.bohicaarms.com/index.html

is there going to be a big quality difference?

BLKAR15
03-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Chris at Bohica provides quality uppers. There are many satisfied customers who have bought his uppers. Only difference is you might have to wait a year for his stuff depending on how backed up he is. I can't speak for ultralite though. But with Bohica you can't go wrong.

CSACANNONEER
03-25-2009, 1:19 PM
But with Bohica you can't go wrong.

Really? I have heard reports of major problems including an action stretching to the point that there was excessive headspace after only 25 rounds. I also find it interesting that, AFAIK, not one BOHICA has shown up to a FCSA match to prove that they can shoot. Please, prove me wrong, come to the FCSA match in Coalinga, the first weekend in June and shoot yours. If you can average <1.75moa in one class, I will pay your match fees for that class. In other words, if you can average 17 1/2" 5 shot groups at 1000 yards, I'll pay your entrance fees for one class. BTW, I do have a friend with a Bohica that can do this but, he shoots much better with his ALS and EDM rifles. So, he hasn't wanted to handicap himself by shooting his BOHICA in a match.

BLKAR15
03-25-2009, 1:40 PM
I don't speak for everyone who owns a Bohica upper but the ones I did talk to were satisfied. Not trying to say they are the best, but from what I have read and heard their stuff is quality. Sorry if my facts are incorrect.

tankerman
03-25-2009, 1:57 PM
What 50 BMGs did you have any mind that are guaranteed <1MOA guns?Dude, is that supposed to be English?:confused:

What does this mean?:confused:

tankerman
03-25-2009, 2:00 PM
But with Bohica you can't go wrong.Isn't BOHICA the 'Blackthorne' of the 50 caliber world? If cheap is what you're looking for, then I guess you can't go wrong.

BLACK LION
03-25-2009, 3:47 PM
Hmm thats strange. No one on the BohicaArms forum nor any Bohica ownershas made any claim to a sub moa group at 1k not even Chris himself. There is a guy who loads his own rounds and shoots matches constantly and claims to have be getting 13" to 15" groups at 1k with a 36" barrel. He also states he has made a 1 mile shot with his Bohica but could not hit on the follow up shot. He is a shooter who is well aware of his capabilities and the uppers capabilities. He is only expecting 10" groups at 1k. I mean cmon, its a freakin 1000.00 upper. What are people expecting to get from a non match-non custom "working mans" upper. I will be happy to hit something at 600 yds let alone 1 mile. I am not attmepting to ninja the thread but comparing 3000.00+ rifles and uppers to 999.00 ones is like comparing blue moon beer to steel reserve 211.

The ul50 is not a bad buy, especially if he can guarantee that 6week turnaround. Its definatley an economical choice. I know Bohicas are offered in 50DTC for 50.00 xtra and I infact should be getting mine next week. I paid 1035.00 to my door for a non-fluted 24". I expect it to work, not to perform miracles. What more can I expect from a 4140 chromoly barrel???:rolleyes:

1600.00 is not bad if the turn around of 6 weeks can be guaranteed.

Thank you for giving everyone the opportunity to get in on a big bore like this.

BLACK LION
03-25-2009, 3:52 PM
Isn't BOHICA the 'Blackthorne' of the 50 caliber world? If cheap is what you're looking for, then I guess you can't go wrong.

You my freind have not held or fired one.
Its economical. Coming from a guy who very well could make a high end yuppie upper and charge the shyt out of everyone. But he does not. He does this becuase he is good at it and loves it. No big backing or huge capital, just a one man and his wife outfit thats trying to put an economical .50 upper in as many hands as possible without all the bullshyt and price gouging.

look before you leap gentlemen.

BLACK LION
03-25-2009, 4:05 PM
My Bohica was shooting holes about 1.5 inches apart with forming loads at 100yards. I'm sure with better loads and more practice, I could reach 1moa.

Here is a photo posted by the owner showing his 200yd group with talon ap loads
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w217/bohicaarms/target.jpg

I know alot of guys on here reffering to MARK1 and MARK2
models wich have since been scrapped for the MARK3. All previous MarkII orders that were unfilled were automatically upgraded free of charge to the MArk3. As far as QC is concerned, its a one man shop. His wife is a fulltime school teacher who helps when she can. If you do know or find someone shooting sub moa ggroups at 1k or above then please journey over to Bohica Arms and let everyone know.

draconianruler
03-25-2009, 8:42 PM
Isn't BOHICA the 'Blackthorne' of the 50 caliber world? If cheap is what you're looking for, then I guess you can't go wrong.

The "blackthorne" of the 50 cal is the Vulcan V50. Aren't they the same company anyways. I heard that the old design is dangerous.

The Bohica's are a great upper, especially for the price. People like to bad mouth it cuz its cheaper then the rest. Sure, there have been delays and issues but the owner stands behind his product 100%. In terms of accuracy, I was getting about 1.5" groups at 100 yrds with forming loads as well. I'm sure it will shoot better with better ammo and shooter :D

BLACK LION
03-26-2009, 11:50 AM
An upper like that for a grand... Sheeeeit. I just ordered another one. I dont understand why people act the way they do on-line. Same thing with the free training I am trying t assemble... people dont want to show up, they just want to throw rocks from thier armchairs. I try to be as professional as possible but sometimes the internet make it really difficult. To each his own. Take care gentlemen.

CSACANNONEER
03-26-2009, 2:14 PM
An upper like that for a grand... Sheeeeit. I just ordered another one. I dont understand why people act the way they do on-line. Same thing with the free training I am trying t assemble... people dont want to show up, they just want to throw rocks from thier armchairs. I try to be as professional as possible but sometimes the internet make it really difficult. To each his own. Take care gentlemen.

I'm not 100% anti-BOHICA. But, I believe that Bohica has had both major QC problems and production problem. It is still a realative new comer in the 50 game and in my opinion, it's not all it's cracked up to be. By the time you put a good quality scope, rings, lower and stock on it, the base price of $1250 is only a drop in the bucket. For a few hundred to $850 more (depending on which other upper you choose) you can build a rifle with an upper which is ready to go right out of the box. Many Bohica owners have had to call Chris for advise on how to tweak things to get their BOHICA upper to function properly. For some strange reason, many people on this board seem to think that BOHICAs are the greatest 50 uppers around and I don't agree. That said, I'd take a BOHICA upper over a complete Vulcan50 or a Watson Weapons upper any day. But, for a few hundred dollars more and a 4-6 week turn around vs. a 1 year turn around, I'd go with an ultramag or an ultra-lite.

Seesm
03-26-2009, 4:15 PM
What is the size difference betweek .50BMG and .50DTC (the DTC is larger by a little correct?

BLACK LION
03-26-2009, 4:44 PM
That makes sense. I agree that if you can spend 1600.00 and get a GUARANTEED 4-6 week delivery then its a great opportunity to own a working mans .50 upper. However, this is only good if 20 people want one. This isnt a standard offering. Bohica does not charge up front and thier turn around time has been condensed to appx 12 weeks. As far as QC and CS is concerned Chris is doing everything to make a better product, even machining his own parts. Owners are reporting that after sending thier uppers in for upgrades and repairs they are getting them back in a couple days, some in a day. BOHICAS are not high end uppers and are not revered as such... they remind me of an old chevelle ss...built like a tank and timeless... its not a c5 supercharged vette.

BLACK LION
03-26-2009, 4:47 PM
What is the size difference betweek .50BMG and .50DTC (the DTC is larger by a little correct?

50DTC uses 50BMG projectiles...it is the case thats different.
Mr. Kubota can load a .50DTC cartridge with h50bmg powder and get 3000fpd from a 30" barrel. pretty zippy

draconianruler
03-26-2009, 5:00 PM

They are almost the same size and the ballistics are the same. The .50DTC is 0.10" shorter and fatter. There is pictures floating around of the two side by side but I don't have it readily available. The DTC is a great alternative to those that missed the BMG boat and in theory, should be a slightly more accurate with the shorter fatter case :D

CSACANNONEER
03-26-2009, 5:59 PM

The .510 DTC was designed to have the same case capacity and use the same components as a 50BMG round. So, depending on what you mean by "larger", it could go either way. DTCs are shorter and straight walled, BMGs are longer but tapered. In the end, they have the same volume. I'd suggest asking your wife or girl friend which one she would consider "larger".:D

BLACK LION
03-27-2009, 10:53 AM
The .510 DTC was designed to have the same case capacity and use the same components as a 50BMG round. So, depending on what you mean by "larger", it could go either way. DTCs are shorter and straight walled, BMGs are longer but tapered. In the end, they have the same volume. I'd suggest asking your wife or girl friend which one she would consider "larger".:D
Sounds like a good idea :D

Seesm
03-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks "Draconianruler" Appreciate the info

I'd suggest asking your wife or girl friend which one she would consider "larger".:D

Nice...

grammaton76
04-02-2009, 3:44 PM
Everything you may have wanted to know about DTC vs DTC-EDM vs DTC-Europe...

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/RefReloading50DTC

Peter W Bush
05-01-2009, 1:56 AM
any progress yet?

Hangtree39
06-03-2009, 8:28 PM
I'm your huckleberry

tmushy
08-07-2009, 7:57 PM
Is this still going on because I want one. But isnt a 22" barrel too short? I am new to the 510 dtc so I am not sure on what the best length is

mrkubota
09-17-2009, 8:06 AM
Ultralite50 (LigaMec) has a new owner and company name now.... they only list .50bmg and now .416barrett as available chamberings...
http://www.tactilite.com/

bollero
10-03-2009, 1:11 AM
nice gun

1gunaholic1
01-14-2014, 10:10 AM
I've been away for awhile...Is this thread dead or? I am definately interested in a 50 DTC upper. I put a nice lower together awhile back.

Spyder
01-14-2014, 10:40 AM
You must not have paid attention to the screen that popped up and said are you REALLY sure you want to post in this thread, since it's 4 and a half years old, since the last post...