PDA

View Full Version : Pig hunt, public land

Dark&Good
12-22-2008, 4:54 PM
I'd like to go pig hunting with a shotgun between Christmas and the new year. What public land would you suggest - as close to the Bay Area as possible? As I understand it, I could go around Lake Sonoma if I won in a drawing, which I didn't. Since my hunting partner lives in Martinez, I'd prefer something towards north (are there pigs in the Mt Diablo area?), but in the worst case we'll go to south San Benito county... just wondering if there's a "good chance" place closer.

C.G.
12-22-2008, 10:41 PM
You sort of lost me. There is no lottery for pigs and shotgun would not be my first choice for pig hunting; I hope you are using slugs.

G-Man WC
12-22-2008, 11:20 PM
There are a lot of pigs on Mt. Diablo. Turkeys also. The bad news is finding a kind sole to let you hunt on privite land. I did find someone that will allow me access in Feb. He says the sows are wet right now and doesn't want any orphans.
I made the mistake many years ago in thinking I could go out marsh creek road and shoot! They came outta the woods like it was deliverance and scared the crap outta me.
-g

MT1
12-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Do those ugly hogs taste any good? My old neighbor has a lot of acres above Lake Sonoma and they have free reign up there...

Dark&Good
12-23-2008, 4:43 AM
You sort of lost me. There is no lottery for pigs and shotgun would not be my first choice for pig hunting; I hope you are using slugs.

I wasn't too careful about my words, since the outcome is the same: not lottery, but some kind of a permit is needed in most of the areas around Lake Sonoma. At least that's what I got out of DFG materials.
I wanna use slugs, of course. For me, it's the only choice at this point.

Dark&Good
12-23-2008, 4:45 AM
Do those ugly hogs taste any good? My old neighbor has a lot of acres above Lake Sonoma and they have free reign up there...

Yes, they're tastier than their domestic cousin, amd all-natural ;)

Does free reign apply to hunters or pigs? :D

DocSkinner
12-23-2008, 1:24 PM
Yes, they're tastier than their domestic cousin, amd all-natural ;)

Does free reign apply to hunters or pigs? :D

Uh - yeah - does your old neighbor need any help getting rid of all those hogs?

Usually go back to Idaho for deer, and have been dieing to get out and do some hunting here in Cali.

Ooh - but then I have to get a Cali hunting permit... Forgot about that!

wooger
12-23-2008, 2:45 PM
Try Cow Mountain/Cache Creek, those locations aren't far. I would bring a rifle regardless of location, excepting of course Lake Sonoma where it is shotgun only.

Dark&Good
12-23-2008, 2:57 PM
Thanks, we're evaluating the current meaning of "far" with my partner :D

Gunaria
12-23-2008, 3:35 PM
:xeno: and search within this sub forum. Others and I have posted the answer to this very question many times. Try looking for info about Frank Rainer Park. Sorry if this sounds salty. GL

Dark&Good
12-23-2008, 3:44 PM
I did search the forums, I used the keywords {pig hunt} (without the parentheses, of course), and received almost 20 pages of results, most of which were about other animals - looks like the search returns the threads that contain ANY of the keywords. Is there a way to make it look for threads with ALL keywords? I didn't find such feature...

Dark&Good
12-23-2008, 3:47 PM
Google didn't give me any results for "Frank Rainer Park"...

tommyid1
12-23-2008, 3:51 PM
There are a lot of pigs on Mt. Diablo. Turkeys also. The bad news is finding a kind sole to let you hunt on privite land. I did find someone that will allow me access in Feb. He says the sows are wet right now and doesn't want any orphans.
I made the mistake many years ago in thinking I could go out marsh creek road and shoot! They came outta the woods like it was deliverance and scared the crap outta me.
-g

ive been wanting to do some pig hunting for a while. pm me if you know of anythign commin up.

Thanks,
tom

frigginchi
12-23-2008, 4:18 PM
FRANK RAINES

Google didn't give me any results for "Frank Rainer Park"...

Dark&Good
12-23-2008, 4:26 PM
Thanks, I'll look into it

gottarollwithit
12-23-2008, 7:05 PM
No need for a drawing at Lake Sonoma. Can only hunt there w/ slugs during a certain time of the year. I was up there last year and there was a lot of pig signs.

There's a thread around here that shows local hunting spots. As i remember aside from Cache creek area, Lake Sonoma, and Grizzly Island, there's really not much within an hour of here. Maybe 2-3 though.

Gunaria
12-23-2008, 7:46 PM
I did search the forums, I used the keywords {pig hunt} (without the parentheses, of course), and received almost 20 pages of results, most of which were about other animals - looks like the search returns the threads that contain ANY of the keywords. Is there a way to make it look for threads with ALL keywords? I didn't find such feature...

Also try hog hunting.

Dark&Good
12-23-2008, 8:55 PM
No need for a drawing at Lake Sonoma. Can only hunt there w/ slugs during a certain time of the year.

From 1 February...

MT1
12-23-2008, 11:00 PM
What are the rules for private land? In season only w/tags?

That's how I understand it is for deer, unless it's a "nuisance" shot in your garden.

Always see deer trails at the back of my property but never considered harvesting any...

Dark&Good
12-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Go to http://www.dfg.ca.gov/about/hunting/ - there's the latest on the subject.

giv1tatry
12-24-2008, 12:48 AM
brother-in-law works with a guy who lives on an almond orchard somewhere near cache creek, anyone have any actual luck there aside from signs? I've heard its a waste of time by family members, but my Ceska Zbrojovka and I are hoping they're misinformed.

Dark&Good
12-24-2008, 6:03 AM
After many hours of investigation, I have two candidates:
1. Cottonwood Creek
2. Frank Raines Park
This is going to be the sequence, too.
Thanks for your help, guys. I'll report back on results ;)

frigginchi
12-24-2008, 8:16 AM
Cottonwood is basically barren.

Try Hunter Ligget or Camp Roberts.

After many hours of investigation, I have two candidates:
1. Cottonwood Creek
2. Frank Raines Park
This is going to be the sequence, too.
Thanks for your help, guys. I'll report back on results ;)

westcoastr
12-27-2008, 4:59 PM
there are less than 400 pigs taken on all the millions of acres of public land in ca every year. 1/3 of are from FHL and CR. feeling lucky?

tommyid1
12-27-2008, 6:02 PM
**** where the hell can we take pigs on public land jesus

sanddragon2004
12-28-2008, 5:57 PM
beeen out to cottonwood twice and havent seen a single pig. lots of evidence of pigs but no pigs.

game trails, fresh droppings, lots of rooting and nesting in creeks and under oaks, but no pigs, im gonna research san benito next .

westcoastr
12-28-2008, 6:04 PM
went down there and since they allow cow grazing, its not a pleasant experience. met some guys that thought all the calf prints and droppings were from pigs....got a chuckle out of that.

bunch of guys hit that place hard in the past few months. going every other day or so. doubt you would see any in daylight with that kind of hunting pressure.

btw: lots of car break-ins at the parking area

Dark&Good
12-29-2008, 3:26 PM
I just got back from Cottonwood Creek.
On Sunday, we went to the Upper area, passed through the entrance at 7:15 am. We made a huge loop, got out of there at 12:52 pm, haven't seen a pig. We found a couple of tracks, four old droppings, one muddy tree. And cows. Oh, one coyote, too.
Today we went to the other side of the road, to the San Luis WA (DFG as well, shotgun & archery only).Pigwise, same results: a few tracks, a few old droppings. No cows, but 22 elks (2 males wearing big crowns). A bobcat skull... lots of fox tracks and droppings... a salamander... lots of elk tracks and droppings.
We saw the Pacheco Park, where no hunting is allowed. I bet the pigs ran over the road to that area. The park has something called "Pig Pond" - made it a target of our jokes, but didn't go there. Today we "hunted" from 7:04 am to 11:39 am.
Aside from the lack of pigs, we had great weather and healthy hikes. At night temps went down to freezing. I don't know what else to tell you about it... We won't go pig hunting there again. Given the small size of these areas, if there were pigs there, we would've seen one or two.

Hatchman
12-29-2008, 4:12 PM
In my experience, you might have better luck earlier in the morning, and later in the evening. Good luck with the hogs.

Dark&Good
12-29-2008, 5:59 PM
I know, but legally I could've only gone less than half an hour earlier, and in that area, I could've stayed till sunset only, which officially is 4:50 now.

Dr.12ga
12-29-2008, 10:20 PM
I would go to Fort Hunter-Liggett. Its not free, but its not expensive. its around $80 a year for unlimited weekends to hunt there.

Dark&Good
12-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Ok.. Who owns it, and where do you buy the ticket?

Salty
12-30-2008, 1:57 PM
Ok.. Who owns it, and where do you buy the ticket?

http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/

AKman
12-30-2008, 4:47 PM
I know, but legally I could've only gone less than half an hour earlier, and in that area, I could've stayed till sunset only, which officially is 4:50 now.

I rarely see, much less shoot pigs when the sun is out. They're nocturnal and the big, smart ones are usually bedded down early. You need to learn where they are eating at night and where they bed down during the day, then ambush them before sunrise or hope they come out before dark. The last two I shot just before it got dark were a real treat to recover in steep terrain and complete darkness. So, I wake up and get into position well before first light and scan the pre-dawn darkness with a good set of binoculars, while listening intently.

Of course, once you know where they bed down, you can be a real sportsman and kill them while they sleep.

zrock
12-30-2008, 6:10 PM
I hope this helps. A few years ago there was this outdoors writer who wrote
a small magazine call Hog hunter magazine. I always found it at the turners outdoors stores in so cal . This magazine was california specific to hogs only.The writers name is Jim Matthews and he is a outdoors columns .E mail him at odwriter@earthlink.net. He use to have a both at all the gunshows sell his magazine. Very nice guy and he knows every plublic land hot spot. I spent an hour talking to him about pigs. He will know

Dark&Good
12-30-2008, 8:17 PM
Thanks for the valuable info, guys.
In this particular place, I can't imagine a possible bedding place that we didn't check; we were especially eager to sneak into the most hard-to-approach places, and as I said, these areas are small. All the tracks were at least 24 hours old... probably more.
I'm just thinking aloud. I'm going to "incorporate" all the data you sent me... thanks again.

Matt P
12-30-2008, 8:33 PM
Interesting thread here.
I feel many of you here, your pain that is.
Its tough to hunt these animals on Public Land. lots of hunting pressure will generally force these transient animals away from the pressure.
It will be hit and miss on public land for sure.
This is an excellent time of the year to hunt them as their presence is readily noticed. Finding the rooting is pretty easy.
I have found the private property greatly increases your chance of success. It took that for me to finally start getting them.

westcoastr
01-02-2009, 3:36 PM
Thanks for the valuable info, guys.
In this particular place, I can't imagine a possible bedding place that we didn't check; we were especially eager to sneak into the most hard-to-approach places, and as I said, these areas are small. All the tracks were at least 24 hours old... probably more.
I'm just thinking aloud. I'm going to "incorporate" all the data you sent me... thanks again.

for the elusive public land piggies, you normally need to be at your hunting perch a hour before shooting time, i.e. 1.5 hours before sunrise. the other animals, primarily birds and insects, around you will take that long to settle down after you move into the area. your prey can sense that you are there or at least that something is not right, if the other critters are still freaked out from your presence.

could a pig wander by at 9am, sure, but with only a few hundred taken each year, not likely - they are masters at avoiding hunted areas and extremely careful if they are in one.

p7m8jg
01-02-2009, 3:55 PM
http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/

Thanks for the link!!! :thumbsup:

spectr17
01-05-2009, 1:16 AM
**** where the hell can we take pigs on public land jesus

If you're as observant in the field as you are in this thread you're gonna be buying your pork.

5 hogs taken at FHL this weekend. One buddy shot a nice boar.

More info on FHL here http://www.jesseshunting.com/site/fhl.html

tommyid1
01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
If you're as observant in the field as you are in this thread you're gonna be buying your pork.

haha okay thanks for the link

jbolton
01-05-2009, 2:21 PM

+1 Pretty good weekend.