View Full Version : making a pistol shotgun

12-22-2008, 1:35 PM
I need a bit of input here,

A friend has a very old single shot break open 410 shot gun. (pre ser numbers)
Was thinking about buying and converting into a pistol/short barrel with pistol grip.

Is it possable to get a tax stamp from the Feds and regester said legely here in ca?, or do the control laws here prevent said.

Not wanting to get into trouble, just make something deffernt, said shotgun has no real value so want the heck.

12-22-2008, 1:38 PM
Yes you can, you would have to form a trust first before chopping it down. There is info somewhere on the Shotgun thread...

M. Sage
12-22-2008, 1:39 PM
Yes. IIRC, you can SBR (with Fed tax stamp) a C&R shotgun in CA without running afoul of the SBS law here.

ETA: You don't have to form a trust for the tax stamp, if you can get your local CLEO to sign off on the process. Which in CA basically means that you'll be forming a trust for the tax stamp. Oaklander knows how to do those.

12-22-2008, 4:26 PM
If you are sure it is C&R, then you should be able to Form 1 it. I'd check to see when the manufacturer made that model. Since it doesn't have a serial number, production would have needed to have stopped pre-58, be a listed C&r, or have some other way to determine age per early/late variations in the production run.

12-22-2008, 4:35 PM
Not much I can add to what has already been said except read this thread… I should answer most of the questions you may have… http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82693