View Full Version : Recommendations: AR15 components for a coyote/ ranch rifle

12-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I would like to get a lightweight working rifle for popping coyotes in the woods/ brush on a large sheep ranch. I have been calling and using heavy scoped varmint rifles for years but they are to cumbersome to carry when working. These past few months I have been flushing coyotes right in front of me in the woods and I was thinking about getting a ruger ranch rifle for a brush gun. However a friend of mine brought his AR15 over the other day and I couldn't believe how light, fast and handy it was.

Since this is going to be a working gun I'm very concerned about the reliability, quality and safety of all these build it yourself parts under hard weather/ use. What parts, complete gun or OLL would you recommend for my application? Or is the quality all about the same between them? I live in Sonoma county and I hear there is a shop in San Rafael that is knowledgeable about this but I wanted to try and learn as much as I could before I go in there first.

12-22-2008, 12:45 PM

A lot of the now "mainstream" OLL's are mil-spec and thus, quality is there. What you'll want to spend your money on is a good upper. I went with a "High Standard" lower, because it was a cheap mil-spec option, and went with a Rock River Arms upper (and Bushmaster trigger).

I didn't do anything tricky with the weapon... no floating this or that, no special barrels, no whatever.. just simple. I clean the weapon every 1000 rounds or whenever I think about it and I fire the nastiest cheapest ammo around, and it always fires, so the reliability is there. I fire out to 400m and I use iron sights only on this particular rifle.

Bullseye in San Rafael will sell you an OLL and other parts if you need it, but I'm not sure on their pricing.

I'm also in Sonoma County if you want to check mine out or need some more information.

12-22-2008, 1:25 PM
For a varmint gun, I'd go with an 18" stainless rifle gassed gun.

A medium countour would be just about right. A cheaper free float forearm (JP, Hogue) would help with accuracy and give you a more stable platform for the bipod, etc.

Put your money in the barrel and a trigger - something like the RRA 2-stage would be just fine - excellent for the money.