PDA

View Full Version : Hunting instructors?

oldrifle
12-21-2008, 8:09 AM
Can anybody recommend a good instructor to learn the basics of hunting from, such as stalking, field dressing, etc? Thanks

Pronghorn
12-21-2008, 11:33 AM
I can teach ya, but it won't be cheap.:D

Thefeeder
12-21-2008, 4:31 PM
You need to get out and hunt...Each area and type of game is different.

First off, do you have a hunting license?

oldrifle
12-21-2008, 7:10 PM
You need to get out and hunt...Each area and type of game is different.

First off, do you have a hunting license?

No I don't, but it seems pretty trivial to get one. You just send in a form with a check right?

oldrifle
12-21-2008, 7:11 PM
I can teach ya, but it won't be cheap.:D

PM me. We might be able to work out a deal.

RoninSarge
12-21-2008, 8:00 PM
No I don't, but it seems pretty trivial to get one. You just send in a form with a check right?

No sir! You must attend a Hunter Safety course first, then you pay to play. :62:

oldrifle
12-21-2008, 8:54 PM
No sir! You must attend a Hunter Safety course first, then you pay to play. :62:

Of course, forgot what state I'm in... :P I'm checking out the info on the web. Thanks

fusionstar
12-22-2008, 1:06 AM
Of course, forgot what state I'm in... :P I'm checking out the info on the web. Thanks

Its like that in most states.

glockman19
12-22-2008, 7:01 AM
Take the Hunter Safety class. The certificate is also acceptible as training to get your FL CWP.

oldrifle
12-22-2008, 7:06 AM
Take the Hunter Safety class. The certificate is also acceptible as training to get your FL CWP.

I assume that means Florida concealed weapons permit? How would the Florida permit help me in CA?

tcrpe
12-22-2008, 7:26 AM
Can anybody recommend a good instructor to learn the basics of hunting from, such as stalking, field dressing, etc? Thanks

It really is learn by doing. I learn something new every time I go out hunting. And I go out hunting a lot.

So, take the class, get the license, and get to it . . . .

BTW, what are you intending to hunt?

Barbarossa
12-22-2008, 8:04 AM
It's some thing that must be learned by experience.

CavTrooper
12-22-2008, 8:04 AM

Find friends that hunt.

Look around th web for local hunting forums, find people in your area and make arrangements to get out with them.

Lunch, gas, beer, etc. goes a long way to making new hunting partners.

The hunters saftey course is by no means trivial. Its not a hard course or anything too far beyond common sense, but its stuff that needs to be reinforced in all hunters and shooters.

DO NOT ATTEMPT AVOID THE COURSE.

Theres a point to it (the course), every state requires it, anyone who avoids it should be flogged for thier stupidity. Take the course.

Every state requires a hunters saftey course.

Experience is the best education. Make friends that hunt, find a local hunt club, read about hunting, everything you can to absorb information. Then get out there and do it!

Good luck.

Pronghorn
12-22-2008, 5:07 PM
PM me. We might be able to work out a deal.

Just kidding. When you get your licence, if you come down this way I'll take you hunting.

oldrifle
12-22-2008, 6:33 PM
It really is learn by doing. I learn something new every time I go out hunting. And I go out hunting a lot.

So, take the class, get the license, and get to it . . . .

BTW, what are you intending to hunt?

Stuff I can eat... deer, elk, rabbit, turkey, pheasant, rhino, etc.

I was hoping someone could teach me some of the basics of field dressing and preserving meat. It's kind of a survival thing. I have survival books that go through the steps but there's nothing like seeing it first hand. Maybe I should find some videos.

oldrifle
12-22-2008, 6:33 PM
Just kidding. When you get your licence, if you come down this way I'll take you hunting.

Cool! Thanks! :)

RoninSarge
12-22-2008, 7:20 PM
Stuff I can eat... deer, elk, rabbit, turkey, pheasant, rhino, etc.

I was hoping someone could teach me some of the basics of field dressing and preserving meat. It's kind of a survival thing. I have survival books that go through the steps but there's nothing like seeing it first hand. Maybe I should find some videos.

Field dressing rabbits is easy! Deer and elk require more effort, BUT RHINO, now that is a PITA!!!! You have to resharpen your knife every two minutes!!!! :D

Sacjesusfreak
12-22-2008, 8:34 PM
Field dressing rabbits is easy! Deer and elk require more effort, BUT RHINO, now that is a PITA!!!! You have to resharpen your knife every two minutes!!!! :D

......................:beatdeadhorse5:............ .........lol

zrock
12-23-2008, 4:57 AM
While taking the class make friends and ask questions . Hunters and shooters are nice people and they like to teach and talk about there stuff. Our fathers did and still do. Plus anything that cavtrooper says. If he is located in corona he cant be wrong zr

giv1tatry
12-23-2008, 11:38 PM
take the class, pass the test, empty your pockets, shoot, take home, store in freezer, and forget about it.