PDA

View Full Version : selling registered colt sp1

ady
12-21-2008, 7:21 AM
Can this rifle be sold without going through a AW licenced dealer here in california ?.
Can one simply send it to the receiving buyers ffl assuming it is legal in their state.Buddy of mine has a 70's colt sp1 and was considering selling it or selling all the part's from it.

FortCourageArmory
12-21-2008, 7:45 AM
NO!!! The complete rifle has to go through an Assault Weapons-licensed FFL if it's done in-state. A non AW licensed FFL receiving it would be in huge trouble for having it on premises. Don't do it. Selling the parts piecemeal would be ok, except for the lower receiver. That is still considered an AW.

6172crew
12-21-2008, 7:47 AM
Are trying to sell it in CA? I know alot of guys are taking them to NV and having the ffl up there sell it. You can sell the parts kit but that lower can only be sold by a AW ffl in ca. Just strip it down and stash you lower, it isn't worth much anyhow.

ady
12-21-2008, 8:00 AM
The rifle for instance would be listed on auction site and only be sold to the winning bidder and sent to their ffl out of state.Not to be sold in california or to a AW dealer here.Only shipped to ffl for their transfer........make sense?

DedEye
12-21-2008, 8:03 AM
Sounds like he's asking if a non-FFL (and thus not an AW permit holder) can send the rifle to an out of state FFL legally, assuming the FFL accepts from non-FFLs.

I don't recall any law against that, but I'm not positive.

Beelzy
12-21-2008, 8:45 AM
I do believe the gun has to be shipped out of state by a AW permit holder, so
that the firearm is taken "off the books" and the DOJ knows its gone and not
in his posession anymore.

Freaking Paperwork!

ohsmily
12-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Sounds like he's asking if a non-FFL (and thus not an AW permit holder) can send the rifle to an out of state FFL legally, assuming the FFL accepts from non-FFLs.

I don't recall any law against that, but I'm not positive.

I believe it must be shipped by an AW permit holder FFL. If he wants, he can drive it himself out of state and deliver it to an FFL out there to transfer to the seller.

6172crew
12-21-2008, 10:17 AM
I believe it must be shipped by an AW permit holder FFL. If he wants, he can drive it himself out of state and deliver it to an FFL out there to transfer to the seller.

The carson armory is filled with these. She takes them on consignment for CA folks all the time.

Like other have mentioned before if it has the paperwork then taking it to her is no problem. She had a Robarms stoner thing without the grip on it last time I was there. That one had CA all over it.:D

bwiese
12-21-2008, 1:14 PM
Here's the skinny:

a registered AW normally needs to be run thru a CA FFL holding an AW permit if shipped;

a reg'd AW can be directly transported by yourself (locked, unloaded) to an out-of-state
FFL for resale without interference by CA. Doesn't matter if you drive or fly, etc. - just
that you're conveying it.

a Category III reg'd AW can have sufficient characteristic features removed to rendered it
into non-AW status, and can then be shipped to an out-of-state FFL without intervention
going thru CA AW permittee FFL.

Ford8N
12-21-2008, 1:49 PM
COLT
Model SP-1

Are they on the list?

bwiese
12-21-2008, 2:25 PM
COLT
Model SP-1
Are they on the list?

I'm fairly confident Colt SP1s have "AR15" on side of the magwell and thus would be considered - from a practical standpoint - to be listed.

One could make the argument - in part supported by Iggy and the Evan's Gunsmithing fiasco - that it's really a Colt model R6000 (or whatever) if a defense were needed.

jrsportssupply
12-21-2008, 6:04 PM
Here's the skinny:

a registered AW normally needs to be run thru a CA FFL holding an AW permit if shipped;

a reg'd AW can be directly transported by yourself (locked, unloaded) to an out-of-state
FFL for resale without interference by CA. Doesn't matter if you drive or fly, etc. - just
that you're conveying it.

a Category III reg'd AW can have sufficient characteristic features removed to rendered it
into non-AW status, and can then be shipped to an out-of-state FFL without intervention
going thru CA AW permittee FFL.

Does anyone have a link to the CA law on this? I get asked this question all the time, and my advice has always been to just sell it out of state.

jmlivingston
12-21-2008, 6:33 PM
Can this rifle be sold without going through a AW licenced dealer here in california ?.
Can one simply send it to the receiving buyers ffl assuming it is legal in their state.Buddy of mine has a 70's colt sp1 and was considering selling it or selling all the part's from it.

Tell him to keep the lower, since it's registered and unreplacable. If he wants to sell just the upper, he should post it in the Marketplace here. There's a bit of an interest in the older models (with the triangular handguards) as many of us trained with them in the military. I know I'd be interested if the price was right.

John

ady
12-21-2008, 7:15 PM
I will let him know.I am thinking that the complete rifle sans lower would be worth $??????????? how much ? It has the collapsable stock so he say's .This would be the carbine version i am thinking.