PDA

View Full Version : lost DROS paperwork

stockplayer
12-21-2008, 3:09 AM
I moved 2 times in three years and I am having trouble finding my folder with all my DROS documents and sales recipts.

What should I do?

pullnshoot25
12-21-2008, 3:15 AM
I moved 2 times in three years and I am having trouble finding my folder with all my DROS documents and sales recipts.

What should I do?

Is that really all that important?

DedEye
12-21-2008, 4:34 AM
Move on with your life.

bwiese
12-21-2008, 5:26 AM
Why is this keeping you up at night?

Try some chamomile tea.

If that doesn't help, complete this form, get it notarized, and send it to DOJ:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/AFSPrivateCitizen.pdf

.... that'll get you a list of all guns DROSed to you, primarily handguns (it won't include info on long guns except those that you separately 'voluntarily registered')

jlh95811
12-21-2008, 5:39 AM
I keep a file of my DROS just so I have my serial #'s handy.

CSACANNONEER
12-21-2008, 8:01 AM
I've shredded many of my old DROSes. Just list the SN of each gun under a picture of it. The picture will help you more in an insurance case and the SN will just help you recover your property or prove that it's yours. If LE needs to see the DROS or 4473, they will get a warrant and visit the dealer who did the paperwork.

rayra
12-21-2008, 11:58 AM
If your primary concern is loss / theft of your firearms and the proper reporting of same, take a complete inventory now of all your models / serial numbers.

If your primary concern is retrieving said arms from a confiscatory government, 'proof of purchase', then use that link bwiese posted.

DDT
12-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Why is this keeping you up at night?

Try some chamomile tea.

If that doesn't help, complete this form, get it notarized, and send it to DOJ:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/AFSPrivateCitizen.pdf

.... that'll get you a list of all guns DROSed to you, primarily handguns (it won't include info on long guns except those that you separately 'voluntarily registered')

I assume it will also include any Registered AWs?

jamesob
12-21-2008, 12:07 PM
I assume it will also include any Registered AWs?

aw registration is not a dros. its a different paper all together

DDT
12-21-2008, 12:15 PM
What paperwork would one fill out to determine if their AWs were properly registered.

jamesob
12-21-2008, 12:20 PM
you would have to call the doj and have them send you a copy of your registered aw. registration. if they would tell you over the phone i'm not sure about that.

JDay
12-21-2008, 5:16 PM

What should I do?

Just email the serial numbers to yourself and forget about it. If you're really paranoid get a safe deposit box and keep a list of your weapons and serials in there. You only need this information in case of theft.

JDay
12-21-2008, 5:18 PM
What paperwork would one fill out to determine if their AWs were properly registered.

You would have received letters from CA DOJ stating that they are registered, the letters you have to keep with them at ALL TIMES.

ke6guj
12-21-2008, 5:22 PM
You would have received letters from CA DOJ stating that they are registered, the letters you have to keep with them at ALL TIMES.
There is no requirement that you actually keep the registration letter with the AW all all time. Yes, it may be a good idea, but it is not required. Any LEO can run the firearm through the computer and see that it is registered.