PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Revolver Cylinder Issues

pilotimb
12-20-2008, 9:39 PM
I have a Taurus 669 .357 magnum revolver with the 6 inch barrel.

When I shoot .38 specials from it I have no issues. When I shoot .357 magnums from it, every 2nd or 3rd shot, the cylinder pops out slightly out of line and the cylinder locks up. The cylinder has to be pushed back in line and the cylinder release button slides back again indicating that the cylinder is again in line.

Anyone had this issue before? I've done a complete cleaning of the gun and it hasn't seemed to change anything.

sorensen440
12-20-2008, 9:40 PM
This sounds dangerous
would it be possible for it to fire while the cylinder is misaligned ?

pilotimb
12-20-2008, 9:49 PM
This sounds dangerous
would it be possible for it to fire while the cylinder is misaligned ?

No, it's not possible to fire the gun when this happens because the gun locks up and the hammer will not cock back.

sorensen440
12-20-2008, 9:52 PM
are you able to push the cylinder out just by pushing it ?

sorensen440
12-20-2008, 9:53 PM
second question

Does the pin in the middle of the cylinder push in and out freely or does it bind up ?

Is it possible that that pin is not popping out enough to hold it in the hole in the frame that it sits in while the cylinder is closed?

Maddog5150
12-21-2008, 12:24 AM
solution = throw taurus in trash. Go out and buy a smith.

pilotimb
12-21-2008, 8:00 AM
second question

Does the pin in the middle of the cylinder push in and out freely or does it bind up ?

Is it possible that that pin is not popping out enough to hold it in the hole in the frame that it sits in while the cylinder is closed?

The pin in the middle of the cylinder moves freely, but as I was handling the gun last night, I noticed that the spring on the cylinder release button on the frame is considerably weaker than the spring on my Smith and Wesson 520.

pilotimb
12-21-2008, 8:01 AM

Thankyou for a thoroughly un-helpful answer...:rolleyes:

fairfaxjim
12-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Thankyou for a thoroughly un-helpful answer...:rolleyes:

Oh, but he knows SO MUCH MORE than you - he can't help himself. :mad:

I have seen a number of posts, and communicated with a couple of people, and have had a problem with my Taurus M605 (recently factory repaired) that has to do with the cylinder adjustment, and adjustment of the center pin/spring. If the center pin gets stuck depressed, then the cylinder will not lock up (or become unlocked) and the action locks up. Mine would lock up from time to time (with the resulting cylinder unlock) when shooting .357 - like you are reporting. Opening and closing it would cure the problem - at first. Eventually it got so out of adjustment (Taurus's word) that the center pin would stick depressed even when it was opened - and if you unstuck it, would press it in hard enough to stick when it was closed again. I am pretty sure that it will get worse, everyone I have heard from or spoken with has had it do so.

It looks like you are going to have to send it off to Taurus and have them fix it. It sucks because even though the repair is free, you have to overnight the gun to them in Florida.

I don't have very many rounds through mine since it was repaired, so don't know if the fix will stick or not. Hope so. Otherwise, we may just have to take Maddog5150's advise, helpful or not.

sorensen440
12-22-2008, 9:44 AM

Is that what you did with the one you bought ?
or have you even owned one ?
Ive seen smiths break too fyi

Trapper
12-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Several years ago I had taken my Taurus 85 apart for cleaning and found a crack in the trigger just above the pivot pin. A quick call to taurus on the following Monday and it was shipped out for repair. Less than three weeks later my revolver was returned with several adjustments and parts replaced....all free of charge. There customer service was fantastic, I say ship it back and let Taurus figure it out.