PDA

View Full Version : Inter-family out of state AR15 (non-AW) transfer

pavlov
12-20-2008, 9:11 PM
My father has an AR15 he wants to give me. Assuming it is California-legal (non-AW), will you guys do the transfer once he finds an FFL to ship it to you? I've read all the threads I can find on calguns, but they all seem to be related to handguns... Not sure if there is a difference for long guns. So many little gotchas, just want to make sure I've got this stuff right.

From reading your FAQ, the transfer would be $100? The gun will still have to be DROS'd right? Does it being inter-family actually make much difference here?

Assuming the out-of-state FFL follows http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=132152 (or are you guys a type 03 or 06 and exempt from all this stuff?), do I need to contact you guys directly and drop by to get paperwork started? Before/after the transfer starts?

Probably won't start the transfer for another couple weeks, but just trying to get my ducks in line.

thanks!

BigMac
12-23-2008, 7:20 AM
First, if you are going to see your dad this Christmas, just bring it home... no DROS.

If your dad wants to ship you a CA legal rifle, it is an FFL transfer. He does not have to ship through an FFL. He can ship it directly to us.
It is 100 OTD including DROS for the transfer..

Again, if you are going to see your folks, your dad can just give it to you.

ke6guj
12-23-2008, 10:54 AM
First, if you are going to see your dad this Christmas, just bring it home... no DROS.

Again, if you are going to see your folks, your dad can just give it to you.

Umm, wouldn't that violate federal law? An unlicensed person cannot go to another state and get a firearm without going through an FFL (and a CA resident can't even do that). There is no federal intra-family exemption. It would need to be transfered through a CA dealer.

pavlov
12-23-2008, 1:27 PM
Based on everything I've read, it seems that to stay within federal law it would have to be transferred via a FFL. Can he really just send it directly to you guys without using a local FFL?

ke6guj
12-23-2008, 1:32 PM
Yes, an unlicensed individual can ship a firearm directly to an out-of-state FFL, no local FFL needed. Some FFLs will not accept shipments from unlicensed individuals, but it appears that Irvington will.

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. [B]A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]