PDA

View Full Version : handgun safety test questions

dfxjedi
12-20-2008, 12:41 PM
I heard that when someone buys a new handgun here in california,they have to go through some sort of a handgun safety test,what does that test involve and where do you go to take it,is it hard?

What about used or consigned handguns do you have to do the same thing with them?

Vacaville
12-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I've had to do it twice and it was easy as hell. It only takes about 5 minutes and is no big deal. I think they charge some money though, but I can't remember how much.

If you can't pass it you need some firearms training or a serious dose of common sense.

nobs11
12-20-2008, 12:48 PM
I've had to do it twice and it was easy as hell. It only takes about 5 minutes and is no big deal. I think they charge some money though, but I can't remember how much.

If you can't pass it you need some firearms training or a serious dose of common sense.

$25. It is valid for 5 years I think.

Greg-Dawg
12-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Common sense questions. Brush up on CA gun laws (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf) and take the test.

Jn316
12-20-2008, 12:54 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf
Check this out

12-20-2008, 12:54 PM
According to the one in my wallet it is indeed 5 years.

And, well, if you can't pass it, I would be afraid to be at the range near you. :eek:

sorensen440
12-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Don't stress it its just another hoop we have to jump through
if you don't pass please don't reproduce ;)

M. Sage
12-20-2008, 1:10 PM
I was told by City Arms when I took my test that the only people they've seen fail are those who don't speak a language that the test is available in.

I didn't read the booklet. I didn't watch the video. I flew through the test and got 100%. It's really easy.

Vectrexer
12-20-2008, 1:36 PM
Same here. 100% on the first try with not study and no video watching. The questions are easy. Don't over-think them or stress out. They are common sense.

Four things to remember:
Your firearm is yours and you are responsible for it no matter who has it. (Unless it still stolen and you report it as such)
The age for purchase.
Places you cannot bring the firearm. (schools).
Safe handling and storage.

Buyos1717
12-20-2008, 3:13 PM
I'm looking through the study guide right now for the hell of it. Anybody know like a practice test for it? I know you guys are saying its all common sense and stuff but i'm afraid there may be some technicalities non-gun people might not know. I know a friend who is interested in buying a firearm soon so i wanted to send him some material.

Edit: I found that there are practice tests at the end of the chapter haha.

nooner
12-20-2008, 3:30 PM
It is worth reading this http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf document. I read through it once and then drove to City Arms to order my gun. I took the test and got 100%. Most are common sense but you have nothing to lose by familiarizing yourself with exactly what they want you to be able to answer. The guy at City Arms looked genuinely surprised and said "wow, you got 100%!" Or maybe he thought I looked like a retard and was going to miss some questions, I dunno, LOL.

Beelzy
12-20-2008, 3:31 PM
OMG!

The test is so easy the questions are almost as lame as, "it is unsafe to look
in the barrel while: 1.firing, 2. cleaning, 3. storing your weapon?"

Yep that easy.

jrsportssupply
12-20-2008, 4:10 PM
The Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) test is indeed quite easy. The only people I've seen fail the test (miss more than 7 out of 30!) are those who truly shouldn't own a gun. People have tried to argue with me that it's ok to shoot someone for trespassing. OK, I'll certainly stay off their lawns!

The other "test" that is required to acquire a handgun is the Safe Handling Demonstration Affidavit. This is a practical test of safe gun handling skills, where you make sure the handgun is unloaded, then you load it with a dummy round, then safely unload it. It is amazing how many people cannot pass this test on the first try, despite the prepwork I give. The most common mistake is pointing the gun at someone during the test. I will fail someone if they can't pass this test after three tries, because if a person can't load or unload a weapon without pointing the gun at me, I don't want them to have a gun.

Mikeb
12-20-2008, 5:13 PM
No wondered I figured it was easier to make guns than buy them
Mike

pavlov
12-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Hardest question was how old do you need to be to buy a handgun in California...

JeffM
12-20-2008, 10:27 PM
If you're going to a shop to take the test, call first to see if they have the cards. There has recently been a run on them, and some dealers are out until the DOJ can send them more.

I wonder if there are grounds for challenging the law due to lack of cards = ban on new handgun sales.

Kruzr
12-21-2008, 10:22 AM
I wonder if there are grounds for challenging the law due to lack of cards = ban on new handgun sales
The state isn't short on them, it's just that some dealers didn't order more in time. They didn't expect the rush of new guns being bought.

You can sue your dealer but it would be like a lawsuit because he sold out of stock of something.

SJgunguy24
12-21-2008, 10:28 AM
If you can tie your shoes, breathe, read english(sort of) and walk upright(debatable) then it should be a cake walk.

nick
12-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I actually saw a person who failed the HSC test. Has anyone else? :)

CSACANNONEER
12-21-2008, 10:39 AM

Yep, but I worked at a shop so, I've seen lots of people take the test.

Another thing: What video? I never new they had one. Is it an official DOJ release?

nick
12-21-2008, 10:40 AM
OMG!

The test is so easy the questions are almost as lame as, "it is unsafe to look
in the barrel while: 1.firing, 2. cleaning, 3. storing your weapon?"

Yep that easy.

WHich one was it? :confused:

nick
12-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Yep, but I worked at a shop so, I've seen lots of people take the test.

Another thing: What video? I never new they had one. Is it an official DOJ release?

People working at a gun shop are excluded from this question by default, they see too much :p

SJgunguy24
12-21-2008, 10:42 AM

That person you saw is the worlds only living brain donor.

You sure that wasn't a dog taking the test for it's drunk owner........naw a dog can't be that stupid.............well they do lick their butts.

Vacaville
12-21-2008, 10:48 AM
That person you saw is the worlds only living brain donor.

Don't think I'd want that one if I were getting a transplant. Would the recipient change his/her name to Abbey Normal?

SJgunguy24
12-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Don't think I'd want that one if I were getting a transplant. Would the recipient change his/her name to Abbey Normal?

Nope, Hedda Lettis.

fairfaxjim
12-21-2008, 12:39 PM

It's a DOJ release. Look on the DOJ HSC Supply Order Form, 2nd item down, HSC English and Spanish Language Video, $5.00. I got one with my original HSC Instructor's stuff, I don't even remember if I had to order it or it was just in there. This was in 2003 when they switched to the "Forever" BFSC to the 5 years HSC.

tonelar
12-21-2008, 1:27 PM
Mine expires in 2009...
a) get all handgun purchases out of the way
b) take the @#$%&*! thing again
c) don't renew it and see how long I can go without it

kicker72
12-22-2008, 4:24 AM
I heard that when someone buys a new handgun here in california,they have to go through some sort of a handgun safety test,what does that test involve and where do you go to take it,is it hard?

What about used or consigned handguns do you have to do the same thing with them?

The test is easy, as everyone has stated it's just common sense. Sometimes it will look like there can be more than one answer....pick the BEST possible answer, and you'll ace it. :D

Edit to add...My cousin took this test last week at the spur of the moment and she is totally new to all the gun stuff, she followed my advice and missed one. The question about the safety being absolute got her.

Oldnoob
12-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Mine expires in 2009...
a) get all handgun purchases out of the way
b) take the @#$%&*! thing again
c) don't renew it and see how long I can go without it

Bro, I understand that c) just your principle talking but just take the damn test again. But why risk getting in trouble, consider as paying "good citizen" donation/tax.

M. Sage
12-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Bro, I understand that c) just your principle talking but just take the damn test again. But why risk getting in trouble, consider as paying "good citizen" donation/tax.

Unless you're going to be in possession of handguns that were loaned to you, or plan on buying more handguns, you don't need a HSC. You don't need an HSC to possess handguns that are already registered to/owned by you.

vinny_land
12-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Not trying to hijack but do we need a HSC if we want to rent and try different handguns at a range? Also...once passing this "test", are we immediately issued a card or is it one of those 3-6 month wait ordeals?

I ask this because I am less than a year away until I turn 21 and I would like to try a few different handguns before making a purchase.

-Vinny

Librarian
12-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Not trying to hijack but do we need a HSC if we want to rent and try different handguns at a range? Also...once passing this "test", are we immediately issued a card or is it one of those 3-6 month wait ordeals?

I ask this because I am less than a year away until I turn 21 and I would like to try a few different handguns before making a purchase.

-Vinny
State actually might require it - it's a thing you need in order to receive a handgun in a transfer, and renting one might count. I've never seen that happen, though. Ask someone where you might go to shoot.

Norcalkid
12-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Donít worry about it. They told me they have never had anyone fail at the shop I was at. 5 min. $25 I got 100% and had never even seen the thing before.

Decoligny
12-22-2008, 12:34 PM

Never took it, never will.

But then again the retired Military I.D. get me out of ever having to.

Really stupid if I say so myself. Just because the Military made you shoot an M-16 for a couple of hours 30 years ago means you automatically know handgun safety? I have worked with some people in the Air Force whom I would rather have holding a baseball bat in a firefight than let them be anywhere near a firearm. If they can get a gun without an HSC then everyone should be able to.

Rover
12-22-2008, 2:29 PM

Not sure about all gun shops, but the one I go to doesn't charge you to renew it. Pay $25 once and renew it every 5 years for the same $25.

SpringfieldXDBabe
01-06-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm studying right now for my license.
$25 for two tries. You have 24 hours if you don't pass to try it again.
You can pick up the study guide for .50 or the video for $5.00.
Or watch it on YouTube free. There are two parts to the video.
Click here to watch part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0eHOOiwtQU

part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szgip9K8Y6c

I will post after I take the test!!
Good luck to everyone.

Sinixstar
01-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Honestly, i'm not sure how i feel about people being able to retake the HSC test. If you fail it - you are one of those few people that - as much as it pains me to say it - might want to consider stamp collecting (and i don't mean NFA stamps!).

The test I took literally had a question along the lines of

true or false : it is okay to point a gun at your friend's head if you think it's unloaded.

Sadly, people DO fail this test...

picasso
01-07-2010, 12:06 AM
The Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) test is indeed quite easy. The only people I've seen fail the test (miss more than 7 out of 30!) are those who truly shouldn't own a gun. People have tried to argue with me that it's ok to shoot someone for trespassing. OK, I'll certainly stay off their lawns!

The other "test" that is required to acquire a handgun is the Safe Handling Demonstration Affidavit. This is a practical test of safe gun handling skills, where you make sure the handgun is unloaded, then you load it with a dummy round, then safely unload it. It is amazing how many people cannot pass this test on the first try, despite the prepwork I give. The most common mistake is pointing the gun at someone during the test. I will fail someone if they can't pass this test after three tries, because if a person can't load or unload a weapon without pointing the gun at me, I don't want them to have a gun.

You forgot to mention that the "test-weapon" is the one being purchased.

I'm studying right now for my license.
$25 for two tries. You have 24 hours if you don't pass to try it again.
You can pick up the study guide for .50 or the video for $5.00.
Or watch it on YouTube free. There are two parts to the video.
Click here to watch part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0eHOOiwtQU

part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szgip9K8Y6c

I will post after I take the test!!
Good luck to everyone.

Good luck to you. Just think common-sense-safety and you'll be fine.

Lagduf
01-07-2010, 12:52 AM
I am a new resident to CA as of last April.

The HSC is indeed mostly common sense. Anyone who has been around firearms can easily pass the test.

I didn't miss a single question, however, I did read the HSC Guide Book (download the .pdf for free at the CA DOJ website) before I took the test just to make sure there weren't any weird questions.

I recommend reading the book to new residents because it explains about Private Party Transfers. I did not know a citizen could not sell a long gun to another citizen without going through an FFL. I knew the restriction was in place for handguns for some reason but not long guns.

Other than the PPT stuff I don't think any of the questions weren't about firearm safety.

M47_Dragon
01-07-2010, 1:28 AM

-Vinny

At the range I go to, you do not need to have the HSC in order to rent. If you aren't a member of the range, you do need to have another shooter with you to rent (suicide prevention). This is at the range I go to, other ranges may have different rules.

And yes, you are issued the HSC card immediately. It is just a little paper card that is filled out. It is supposed to last five years, so it is a good idea to laminate it or keep it in a picture pocket in your wallet.

Cokebottle
01-07-2010, 2:07 AM
Rental should be legally GTG because technically the "receiver of the loan" is still in the presence of the gun's legal owner. You just can't loan a gun to someone and allow them to leave unless they have the HSC.

Some ranges may require the HSC simply as a CYA matter, or even as a safety matter. Personally, I would feel a bit better about a range that required the HSC for admission ;)

littlejake
01-07-2010, 6:25 AM

There are two safety "tests" -- one is a 30 question written test that if you pass gets you a HSC wallet card needed to buy (receive) any handgun. A quick read of the study guide and you should be able to answer the questions in a few minutes. Many people take the test "cold" and pass it -- as it is common sense.

Second is a safe handling demonstration. The dealer employee will tell you what to do. It's basically a demonstration on how to clear, load and apply and remove a gun lock.

Both apply to to all handgun transfers -- new, used, and consignment.

Cokebottle
01-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Second is a safe handling demonstration. The dealer employee will tell you what to do. It's basically a demonstration on how to clear, load and apply and remove a gun lock.
When was this added?

Bill Carson
01-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I had to do that in 2008 when I bought my Glock. Easiest test I ever took was for a job with the U.S. Census Bureau. 28 questions, 11 needed to pass and I got 27 correct. also the LAPD written was a joke.

SoCal Gunner
02-28-2010, 11:03 AM
This was in 2003 when they switched to the "Forever" BFSC to the 5 years HSC.

So for those of us that have a BFSC, is it still good "forever" - or would I still have to get a HSC if I wanted to purchase a new gun?

Cokebottle
02-28-2010, 1:36 PM
So for those of us that have a BFSC, is it still good "forever" - or would I still have to get a HSC if I wanted to purchase a new gun?
Probably depends on the gun shop you go to.

Took a diving vacation with my buddy and all he had for a c-card was his basic open water from 1968 or something like that... laminated rice paper.
Dive shop wanted to see our cards and he must have shown that card to 5 people in the shop before someone with half a brain said "Look, it was issued 30 years ago, if he hasn't killed himself yet, he's not going to kill himself here.

Rob454
02-28-2010, 4:15 PM
The handgun test is pretty mch common sense. if you are any sort of a gun person you should know the correct answer to the test. besides they give you the little booklet to read right there.. its really abotu paying attention to the question and dont read too much into the question

nmerced
02-28-2010, 8:23 PM

BFSC is no longer valid. You'll have to get the HSC.

Justin562
03-01-2010, 2:02 AM
Its easy...The hard part was spending the $25 dollar. If you dont pass,Then you shouldn't buy a handgun. Heres a good video showing why the HSC is given:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY&feature=related

agent.5
03-01-2010, 12:20 PM
The question about the safety being absolute got her.

that has to be the hardest question in the whole test, as I need to re-read the question and answers a couple times. But I remember that both Glock and HK P7 have no safety lever, so safety can not be a primary safety device. I took HSC at City Arms a couple weeks ago and got 30/30.

This test really is too easy.

SoCalJ
03-01-2010, 7:11 PM
Its easy...The hard part was spending the $25 dollar. If you dont pass,Then you shouldn't buy a handgun. Heres a good video showing why the HSC is given:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY&feature=related

Thank You...

f33dback
03-01-2010, 8:28 PM
That link below is all you need, it's 25$ and you can miss 7 out of 50 questions.
I just had to take it because my previous "lifetime" card was no longer any good.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf
Check this out

RaceDay
03-01-2010, 8:39 PM
I don't know. That test was pretty hard. I mean where am I supposed to point my gun: a) at my head b) at my friend c) in a safe direction or d) at a wall. You better get a good night's sleep before trying to pass the HSC test. :D

slik556
03-01-2010, 9:50 PM
That link below is all you need, it's 25$ and you can miss 7 out of 50 questions.
I just had to take it because my previous "lifetime" card was no longer any good.

Although this thread is old as the hills I will toss this to you....... It's not 50 questions it more like 28 or 30ish...

Cokebottle
03-02-2010, 6:49 PM
Although this thread is old as the hills I will toss this to you....... It's not 50 questions it more like 28 or 30ish...
Ya... I think there's a total of 50 questions in the "pool" and each of the 4 or 5 different tests mix 'em up a bit.

clownhunter
03-21-2011, 1:01 PM
I like this from the HSC Study Guide - " Never point a gun toward yourself or another person." Uh... what if the other person is trying to kill me? That's why I got the gun in the first place! Well, that and all the fun I have with target practice.

tba02
03-21-2011, 1:20 PM
The DVD ISO file can be found at http://www.net-ffl.com/hsc

101st Airborne
05-21-2011, 6:06 AM
I just took the test for the first time myself. It's pretty easy but they said some people do fail.

Bud11
05-21-2011, 9:50 AM
Read the booklet (online too) and the test is easy. 30 questions. $25 bucks. Any FFL will do it.

sanjosebmx
05-21-2011, 10:25 AM
here's a hint... firing into the air to celebrate New Years... Bad.

leaving loaded handguns on the table in a PreSchool... Bad.

yeah.. not such a tough thing to figure out....

Cokebottle
05-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I just took the test for the first time myself. It's pretty easy but they said some people do fail.
Last year, somebody posted a poll and I was surprised and disheartened at the number of Calgunners who failed once.
Even worse, there were several Calgunners who failed more than once.

Some people are a waste of oxygen.

Would be interesting to compare those who failed more than once to the people starting the Prop-19 threads :43:

USMC 82-86
05-21-2011, 3:15 PM
You should do fine. I walked in and took it and got 100%.

California Jones
06-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Nothing but a racket to slime 25 clams out of you every few years. Until they raise the price...

California Jones
06-15-2011, 10:39 PM

Some people are VERY stupid.

JagerDog
06-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Nothing but a racket to slime 25 clams out of you every few years. Until they raise the price...

We have a winner!

IntoForever
06-15-2011, 11:15 PM
I know someone who almost failed the test. I no longer shoot with him. That and I'm tired of still hearing him cry because a RSO yelled at him for handling a gun like a moron.

Brandon04GT
06-16-2011, 1:33 AM
I just took the test a week ago and honestly it was a bit hardER than the sample tests online but overall was super easy. I got all but one right because it was worded kinda funny and I had doubts...

five.five-six
06-16-2011, 2:28 AM

the hardest part for me was the couple questions that you have to give the wrong answer to pass the test

Don Nguyen
06-16-2011, 3:15 AM
I took the test before I knew there was an actual "study" guide book for it. Missed 1 or 2 I think.

sephy
06-16-2011, 9:43 AM
Mine expires next year but I took my brother to the store yesterday while doing a transfer. He was on the fence about taking the test so I said, "If you take the test today I'll pay for it"

He's the kinda guy who likes to really know what he's being tested on so I got to look at a lot of guns (Almost convinced myself to buy a Kahr 380) while he read the entire book. I paid for the test, he got 100% and said, "I think I overstudied for that." The gun shop guys just laughed.

Then he was on the fence between two revolvers so I nudged him by saying, "If you get the more expensive one I'll pay the difference." It was only $40 but in 9 days now he'll own his first handgun. I'm such a good brother :)

Brown Rock
06-16-2011, 10:03 AM
That test is the easiest test in the world. I got every question right on that test.:hurray:

Paul S
06-16-2011, 10:10 AM
OMG..tell us what did the person look like? Did they drag their knuckles and drool ? :D

five.five-six
06-16-2011, 4:01 PM
I took the test before I knew there was an actual "study" guide book for it. Missed 1 or 2 I think.

the two i have trouble are:

you should always store your gun unloaded

and

the only way to legally buy a gun is through a FFL transfer

you have to answer both of those wrong to get them counted correctly

Cokebottle
06-16-2011, 5:56 PM
Some people are VERY stupid.
In an anonymous poll about a year ago, quite a number of Calgunners admitted to failing more than once.
Several actually outed themselves.

Cokebottle
06-16-2011, 5:57 PM
the hardest part for me was the couple questions that you have to give the wrong answer to pass the test
No kidding.

I always miss those two.

Blackhawk556
06-17-2011, 1:11 AM
This thread just doesn't die :). It's cool, I likeReading about people actually failing the test. :) Lol

Ieyasu
06-17-2011, 5:41 PM

Yep.

Claro
06-17-2011, 6:49 PM
$25. It is valid for 5 years I think.

^^^ This is correct..

its so easy a caveman can do it!

jbush
06-17-2011, 6:58 PM
I hadn't bought a handgun in years. At a recent visit to the local gun shop I was purchasing a handgun and ask about the card. I still had my forever card which I recall paying for and testing for the right to purchase a handgun forever in California. Then I was informed that forever only meant until the state could figure out a new way to take our money, and they get to do it every 5 years. The test is so basic it would be difficult to fail, so its just another addition to the California tax state. Seems to me the test was a little harder for the forever card, sothe test is really insignificate, its really just about paying the money. If you could fail it you should take up fishing.

CK_32
06-17-2011, 7:01 PM
WTF! It's not free I thought it was free!?!? That's some bs....

sequoia_nomad
06-17-2011, 7:23 PM

+1 This, exactly. Eventually it will go more the way of the DMV, I'm sure.

knucklehead0202
06-17-2011, 9:11 PM
i believe you can miss up to 7 or 8 questions and still pass. having taken the test, this frightens me. having never considered reading the books or anything, i went and took the test, missing one question that had 2 likely answers, but figuring it was written by CA DOJ i chose the less logical one and to my surprise, it was actually the wrong answer! otherwise, if you can't pass the test in one try, i believe you're allowed 3, you have no business near guns.