PDA

View Full Version : Coyote in residential areas

Spelunker
12-19-2008, 9:18 PM
What can I use to take down a coyote in a residential area (Long Beach) if I see it in my yard trying to kill my dog/cat. Would it be illegal to use a bow and arrow? Any laws related to this if you are trying to protect your property?

CHS
12-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Hand Grenade?

Seesm
12-19-2008, 11:56 PM
on that note ahhh TANK.... But seriously folks... In LB I am surprised they are still around. I remember a small area we rode motorcycles in LB... Make sure it is a Coyote and not someone's dog. :) Depending what kind of backdrop is and if it could be dangerous... Use a ...nah go with the basic pinapple grenade.

otalps
12-20-2008, 1:00 AM
What you need to do is get some string, an old gum wrapper, a paper clip and a bottle cap.. But I'd go with the grenade myself.:)

Spelunker
12-20-2008, 7:28 AM
What you need to do is get some string, an old gum wrapper, a paper clip and a bottle cap.. But I'd go with the grenade myself.:)

Sounds like youve been watching too many reruns of MacGuyver.

CSACANNONEER
12-20-2008, 7:56 AM
grenade.

Seriously, you'ld have to check your local laws. I bet that a bow, cross bow, airgun, slingshots, blowguns, balistic knifes, etc. are all illegal to discharge in your nice safe community. I'm sure that if you call the police, they will advise you t owait until you see an attack occuring, call them and watch fluffy die while you are waiting for them to respond!

Hey, maybe you could learn to throw a "hawk" (tomahawk). It's not that hard, I've got a hawk throw in my backyard if you want to learn and, I bet you'ld make the news!

frigginchi
12-20-2008, 9:02 AM
I'm pretty dead accurate with a 16 ounce claw hammer out to 30 feet:) Give that a try:)
http://www.bosstoolsupply.com/productimages/mit/3020pic.jpg

scr83jp
12-20-2008, 9:08 AM
grenade.

Seriously, you'ld have to check your local laws. I bet that a bow, cross bow, airgun, slingshots, blowguns, balistic knifes, etc. are all illegal to discharge in your nice safe community. I'm sure that if you call the police, they will advise you t owait until you see an attack occuring, call them and watch fluffy die while you are waiting for them to respond!

Hey, maybe you could learn to throw a "hawk" (tomahawk). It's not that hard, I've got a hawk throw in my backyard if you want to learn and, I bet you'ld make the news! Call your county animal control and ask for use of a Hav-A-Hart Trap for a coyote.I have an elderly lady in my neighborhood who feeds all of the stray cats & they breed in her yard at the gatherings but some brought their kittens to my yard so I trapped them with Hav-A-Hart traps and san bernardino county animal control picked them up,the old lady had a fit I told her stop feeding the strays .

popndrop
12-20-2008, 10:03 PM
don't ask, don't tell...nuf' said

I live in Irvine, and they are literally at the back gate. Irvine has probably the strictest anti-discharging of any kind of weapon laws - so I keep some pepper spray at my back door in case they get too inquisitive about my wife's little dog. I've seen them on the small hill about 15 yards behind my house watching the dog in the yard - luckily, so far no brave yote's have tried anything - they're probably too well fed by the cats that people let out of their houses...
Irvine will not do anything at all, under any circumstances as I've been told, to interfere with the wildlife in the area. I had a buddy in the center of town that had a Bobcat take up residence in his (very small) backyard. They have kids, and a small old dog, and when they called the animal control, they were told to not go into their own yard, and to leave the animals alone - to interfere would be illegal. I volunteered to buy them a large caliber pellet gun, but they turned me down in fear of big-brother looking on. Eventually the cat and it's young moved on, but it was a very well documented case of what good intentions and bad ideas can do in government. These animals have lost their natural fear of humans, as they have never been threatened or chased or scared by people at all, they look at us like they look at horses or cattle - as big stupid animals. I'd volunteer to help put that fear back in them - but even volunteering might get me in trouble here.

lehn20
12-20-2008, 10:18 PM
22lr with Colibri powderless ammo. Shot through a homemade 16oz bottle suppressor:43:

sorensen440
12-20-2008, 10:24 PM
are the coyote's aggressive in your area ?

Scout106
12-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Pepper spray won't work on Yotes eyes - no tear ducts. It will burn the soft tissue in their mouth and might burn their nose, if you want to get that close to a pissed Yote. As to pellet guns? I don't think so! We've got 'em here as well as Mountain Lions, in my suburban neighborhood.

Blue
12-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Pepper spray won't work on Yotes eyes - no tear ducts. It will burn the soft tissue in their mouth and might burn their nose, if you want to get that close to a pissed Yote. As to pellet guns? I don't think so!

I dunno I sprayed a customers dog with pepper spray once and it worked.

G-Man WC
12-20-2008, 11:00 PM
How about a .22 short (cat sneeze load). Works wonders on the noggin! -g

jkcerda
12-21-2008, 3:06 PM
shot, shovel & shut up:eek:

Bow an arrow;)

Shotgun Man
12-21-2008, 3:32 PM
I searched long beach municipal code and they don't even mention bows, although they do mention prohibitions on air guns and firearms.

To be safe, make sure you have good back drop. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a hunting license, even though you're acting in defense of the your pets.

It might get awkward if the coyote runs off into the neighborhood with an arrow sticking out of him and people see him.

Spelunker
12-21-2008, 4:00 PM
I havent had a problem with the yotes yet but its always best to be prepared ahead of time if the situation arises.

trashman
12-21-2008, 4:23 PM
It might get awkward if the coyote runs off into the neighborhood with an arrow sticking out of him and people see him.

ROFL...I live near Bernal Hill in SF, where 1 coyote is occasionally spotted (the city put a warning up for dog walkers several months ago at the entrance to the park).

Even funnier than a coyote with an arrow sticking out of him wandering around SF is the though of somebody dressed up like john rambo with a massive compound bow hopping from cypress bush to cypress bush...

--Neill

brassburnz
12-21-2008, 4:39 PM
I live in an area of Los Angeles with lots of coyotes. There's moratorium on trapping them, even though there's a noisy constituency who've witnessed their pets being taken from their enclosed yards by coyotes.

I see coyotes on my street about every other week, depends when I take my dog out for a walk. The coyotes will usually turn and take-off, but they will linger 10-20 yards away.

Don't what I'd do if they attacked my dog while on a walk. If they are in my back yard, I think I'll introduce them to "Mr. Pitchfork".