PDA

View Full Version : Ia a Grip pod system legal on an M1A?

Rac97crawford
12-19-2008, 8:57 PM
Hello all, My friend and I are in disagreement on the legality of a grip pod on our Socom ii 's. I Believe it's NOT legal because even thought it does deploy a bi-pod, It's still a forward grip witch would add an evil feature and make it an AW. What are your thoughts on this?

PIRATE14
12-19-2008, 9:01 PM
Hello all, My friend and I are in disagreement on the legality of a grip pod on our Socom ii 's. I Believe it's NOT legal because even thought it does deploy a bi-pod, It's still a forward grip witch would add an evil feature and make it an AW. What are your thoughts on this?

"GRIP POD".....

DEF an AW if you put it on a SOCOM II.....

Josh3239
12-19-2008, 9:32 PM
It doesn't matter if a bipod shoots out the bottom. If it can act or is made to act as a vertical foreGRIP it is a vertical foregrip. It is not legal on a M1A.

BTW I have one.

383green
12-19-2008, 10:12 PM
I think it would be legal if the rifle was modified to have a non-detachable magazine holding no more than ten rounds. I don't know if anybody makes/sells a magazine lock kit for the M1A, though.

AKman
12-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Bubba the booty bandit doesn't care as long as you can stay awhile.

DedEye
12-19-2008, 11:49 PM
I think it would be legal if the rifle was modified to have a non-detachable magazine holding no more than ten rounds. I don't know if anybody makes/sells a magazine lock kit for the M1A, though.

Correct, if you mag lock the rifle then you can use evil features.

A Grip pod is a VFG, it's in the damn name.

Just use a regular Harris bipod and detachable magazines and save the VFG for an already bullet buttoned rifle.

Seesm
12-20-2008, 1:52 AM
did i mention i hate californias f-ing gun laws wtf?

fatirishman
12-20-2008, 3:10 AM
This is actually a really good question (which means don't try this at home): the grip pod is better understood as a "two in one", if you will. In a purely civil case, this would be pretty clear - the rule of leniency would therefore apply. Of course, since the state has civil actions at its disposal, too - probably a bad idea. (None of the foregoing constitutes legal advice.)

ZombieKiller
12-20-2008, 7:37 AM
Tell your friend that he should dispose of that thing immediately. Pm me....I'll take care of it for him and make sure it is not used illegally.

BTW....Adding a mag-lock to an M1A is also a crime....;)

kermit315
12-20-2008, 10:55 AM
why is locking in a 10 rd magazine a crime?

383green
12-20-2008, 10:57 AM
This is actually a really good question (which means don't try this at home): the grip pod is better understood as a "two in one", if you will. In a purely civil case, this would be pretty clear - the rule of leniency would therefore apply.

If it might be used as an evil forward grip, or (exclusive-or, in this case) it might be used as a bipod, then this might have a chance of getting off the ground. However, if I'm thinking of the right product, this thing is always a grip, whether the bipod is extended or not. It's not a maybe-grip/maybe-bipod; it's a grip with a maybe-bipod.

I wouldn't try this. Either pin a 10-round magazine in place to use the grip, or leave the rifle alone and hang something like a Harris bipod under it.

Personally, I've never had a desire to use a forward grip on any of my AR-like rifles. I prefer to put my off hand in front of the magwell; it balances better that way for me. To me, a forward pistol grip underneath a non-pistol-gripped rifle like the SOCOM 16 (assuming it has the factory stock) seems like it would be unwieldly. These are just my own opinions, and I think that folks should be free to put pistol grips all over their rifles if that floats their boats. Unfortunately, CA law doesn't agree with me at the moment, but developments over the last few years give me hope that we'll be able to eliminate those absurd laws.

CHS
12-20-2008, 11:24 AM
This is actually a really good question (which means don't try this at home): the grip pod is better understood as a "two in one", if you will.

No.

It's a VERTICAL, FORWARD, GRIP, that just happens to also contain a bipod. But bipod deployed or not, it is *ALWAYS* a VFG.

Seriously, why is there even any debate on this issue?

Even the makers of the Grip pod call it a "Vertical Fore-Grip"

Close this thread. You can't have one of these on an M1A (without magazine locking device), debate over.

383green
12-20-2008, 12:06 PM
BTW....Adding a mag-lock to an M1A is also a crime....;)

It may be offensive, but it is not a crime. Please do not spread FUD.

why is locking in a 10 rd magazine a crime?

It is not a crime in the legal sense. I think that ZK was just joking that it's offensive to neuter a fine rifle in that manner.

kermit315
12-20-2008, 12:12 PM
...ah, my sarcasm senses are weak today. :)

ohsmily
12-20-2008, 1:18 PM
Is this your "friend" by chance?
http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/sloth-goonies.jpg

M. Sage
12-20-2008, 1:34 PM
Yeah, there's not even a debate. It would produce an SB-23 AW.

Unless the M1A is registered as an AW for some reason. Unless you fix a 10 round magazine (why anybody would rather have a vertical grip/bipod than a detachable 20 round magazine, I can't imagine).

DedEye
12-21-2008, 4:30 AM
Magazines are magazines. If you want to hold on to it, that's not illegal.

Bipods are bipods. If you want to hold on to one, that's not illegal.

lioneaglegriffin
12-21-2008, 2:04 PM
Well then, I guess it's all in the name then. This isn't a Tango Down vertical front grip, it's a "monopod". And "monopods are monopods".

try sellin' that to the DOJ and you'll see if they buy that.

DedEye
12-21-2008, 6:17 PM
Well then, I guess it's all in the name then. This isn't a Tango Down vertical front grip, it's a "monopod". And "monopods are monopods".

Enjoy your time with Bubba.

Sgt Raven
12-22-2008, 7:03 AM
Magazines are magazines. If you want to hold on to it, that's not illegal.

Bipods are bipods. If you want to hold on to one, that's not illegal.

A hammer is just a tool till you hit someone with it.

A crowbar is just a tool till you pry someone's door or window open.

:p

M. Sage
12-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah, but the law doesn't say that using something as a forward grip is illegal, just that having a forward grip is illegal. Otherwise putting a sling on a rifle would be illegal, too.