PDA

View Full Version : "Magazine Amnesty Bins" at shooting ranges?

CHS
12-19-2008, 5:08 PM
Here's my idea.

"Magazine Amnesty Bins" placed at all major shooting ranges throughout the state.

Basically, a trash can with a hole in the top like a recycle bin where people who have standard capacity magazines, but are afraid to use them, can safely dispose of said magazines.

But don't lock the tops.

This would finally lend some credence to the "finding" of standard capacity magazines.

What say you all?

"Hey, where'd you get those nice standard capacity Sig P226 mags?"
"I FOUND them in the magazine amnesty bin!"
"Ohhh, I should go look in there!"

It's got to be legal!

ldivinag
12-19-2008, 5:14 PM
it isnt ILLEGAL to FIND magazines... ;)

JDay
12-19-2008, 5:16 PM
Its illegal to give 11+ round magazines away though.

CHS
12-19-2008, 5:19 PM
Its illegal to give 11+ round magazines away though.

It's not illegal to throw them away.

It's not illegal to find them.

JDay
12-19-2008, 5:23 PM
It's not illegal to throw them away.

It's not illegal to find them.

If the bins are setup for the purpose of getting rid of your magazines and the bins also exist for people to have at them then I would think that could constitute knowingly giving away 11+ round magazines. This sounds pretty sketchy to me.

CHS
12-19-2008, 5:25 PM
If the bins are setup for the purpose of getting rid of your magazines and the bins also exist for people to have at them then I would think that could constitute knowingly giving away 11+ round magazines. This sounds pretty sketchy to me.

So then don't stick your arm into the Amnesty Bin.

JDay
12-19-2008, 5:28 PM
So then don't stick your arm into the Amnesty Bin.

I'd be worried about the ones throwing magazines into the Amnesty Bin.

steadyrock
12-19-2008, 5:33 PM
How many standard capacity magazine owners in this state are going to be willing to give them away? I suppose a benevolent soul might accidentally leave one behind at the range some day, but I don't foresee bins overflowing with big mags for the taking.

CHS
12-19-2008, 5:36 PM
How many standard capacity magazine owners in this state are going to be willing to give them away? I suppose a benevolent soul might accidentally leave one behind at the range some day, but I don't foresee bins overflowing with big mags for the taking.

If you read a lot of the comments in many of the magazine threads on this board, there are apparently tons of people who are afraid of using their mags in a lawful manner.

So I say, toss them in the Amnesty Bin!

If someone else just HAPPENS to dig through it and find a magazine that they can use, hey that's legal.

PolishMike
12-19-2008, 5:37 PM
Bad idea. Too easy to confuse with amnesty baby drop off and everyone knows preban babies are useless.

Beelzy
12-19-2008, 5:43 PM
Wouldn't it be more like recycling??

Last I knew recycling is "green" and will leave a small "carbon footprint".

I'm in. :coolgleamA:

Fate
12-19-2008, 5:45 PM
Bad idea. Too easy to confuse with amnesty baby drop off and everyone knows preban babies are useless.I dunno. My preban kid (born pre-Dec 31, 1999) is pretty good at doing stuff. Haven't hit the teenage years yet though. I hear they pretty much all are useless by then. ;)

Librarian
12-19-2008, 6:05 PM
I dunno. My preban kid (born pre-Dec 31, 1999) is pretty good at doing stuff. Haven't hit the teenage years yet though. I hear they pretty much all are useless by then. ;)

They usually are, but they get better around 22-23.:) At least, mine did.

tommyid1
12-19-2008, 6:25 PM
i while back prolly bout 7 or 8 months ago i was out shooting and found some 17rd 9mm glock mags and a loader in the garbage can. i have no clue why they were in the garbage can and i dont even own a glock but i picked them up and took them with me nonetheless. my guess is they are messed up and dont feed right or soemthing but i figured hey might as well snag em if they are in the trash

CHS
12-19-2008, 6:31 PM
i while back prolly bout 7 or 8 months ago i was out shooting and found some 17rd 9mm glock mags and a loader in the garbage can. i have no clue why they were in the garbage can and i dont even own a glock but i picked them up and took them with me nonetheless. my guess is they are messed up and dont feed right or soemthing but i figured hey might as well snag em if they are in the trash

Now you can legally rebuild them!

WokMaster1
12-19-2008, 6:36 PM
If you read a lot of the comments in many of the magazine threads on this board, there are apparently tons of people who are afraid of using their mags in a lawful manner.

So I say, toss them in the Amnesty Bin!

If someone else just HAPPENS to dig through it and find a magazine that they can use, hey that's legal.

Probably DOJ moles trying in spread FUD!

sorensen440
12-19-2008, 6:39 PM
I like it !!

sierratangofoxtrotunion
12-19-2008, 6:49 PM
I dunno. My preban kid (born pre-Dec 31, 1999) is pretty good at doing stuff. Haven't hit the teenage years yet though. I hear they pretty much all are useless by then. ;)

All my kids are post-ban :(

sorensen440
12-19-2008, 6:52 PM
All my kids are post-ban :(

Then we simply need to get rid of the law :D

tommyid1
12-19-2008, 6:52 PM
Now you can legally rebuild them!

i guess lol they just sit in my safe. i dont even own a glock lol how do i even tell what model glock they are for.

sorensen440
12-19-2008, 7:09 PM
Just sell them on GB or give them to your relatives / friends out of state. No sense for mag destruction, or for the range to profit for your disposal.

There aren't going to be any mags destroyed as long as the bin is left unlocked

CHS
12-19-2008, 7:32 PM
Just sell them on GB or give them to your relatives / friends out of state. No sense for mag destruction, or for the range to profit for your disposal.

Someone doesn't get it.

bplvr
12-19-2008, 8:15 PM
Dis-assemble the mags into kit form .Seperate the kits into sandwich bags .Toss the kits into the amnesty bins.
Eventually some 'pro-green guy' will come by and recycle them and reduce everyones carbon footprint.
Help stop global warming with hi-cap mags.
===============================================

CHS
12-19-2008, 8:20 PM
Dis-assemble the mags into kit form .Seperate the kits into sandwich bags .Toss the kits into the amnesty bins.
Eventually some 'pro-green guy' will come by and recycle them and reduce everyones carbon footprint.
Help stop global warming with hi-cap mags.

That would actually be bad. If someone "found" the rebuild kits they would not legally be allowed to put them back together. That's just no fun.

The mags must be thrown away complete.

Then people can randomly find them and use them. Legally :)

Boots
12-19-2008, 8:40 PM
I think it would be called a recycle been if it did happen that way.
Then... our local scavenger companies would catch on and start charging to supply the bin to only "recycle" the mags and resale them back to us in a "new and improved" form. Jeeze!

56Chevy
12-19-2008, 9:09 PM
i guess lol they just sit in my safe. i dont even own a glock lol how do i even tell what model glock they are for.
Put them in your pocket and come to my house. Make sure that the pocket has a hole.:p

56Chevy
12-19-2008, 9:10 PM
If they hold 17 rounds then they're for a Glock 17.

steadyrock
12-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Can someone explain the mag rebuilding thing to me? Is it actually legal? What if I moved into the state post-ban? Not to stir up a thick pot of FUD, but I'd like to be able to do it if it's legit..

DDT
12-19-2008, 11:02 PM
it is only legal to use a kit to repair a magazine that you owned and was in the state pre-ban. Unfortunately it wouldn't apply to you.

dfletcher
12-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Having just come from the company XMas party I guess I'm too lazy to check, but if distributing is one of the prohibited activities with respect to hi caps, I think that by providing a bin the shooting range would be in violation?

Or, by dumping one's hi caps in there, each person would be guilty of distributing?

yellowfin
12-19-2008, 11:23 PM
I have no idea the use of this. Constructive effort to alleviate the mag situation nees instead to be a dumpster to throw the politicians in who support mag restrictions. Reinforcing the nonsense this way is only more of the problem--the way you guys talk like this mag limit nonsense is in any way legitimate is like talking to an insane person in their own warped frame of reality. Half the reason the absurdity the antis get away with in this state is because people repeat their drivel instead of treating it like the senseless babble it is. You're letting toddlers rewrite the dictionary.

DedEye
12-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Such bins already exist, they're called trash cans.

it is only legal to use a kit to repair a magazine that you owned and was in the state pre-ban. Unfortunately it wouldn't apply to you.

Um... no.

retired
12-20-2008, 12:05 AM

Probably the same people who turned in some pretty nice firearms in Compton a few weeks ago for lasd's gun turn in. The paper mentioned some were antiques. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some really nice ones turned in.

Some of those people probably thought they were really going to have an effect on crime by turning them in. They would be the ones who would turn in their standard mags if they had any thinking the same thing.

Meplat
12-20-2008, 12:40 AM
I really think that it should be known to all gun people that if you send a standard capacity mag to a friend in CA without the friends prior knowledge it would be just like "finding" a mag.:43:

unusedusername
12-20-2008, 9:48 PM
I really think that it should be known to all gun people that if you send a standard capacity mag to a friend in CA without the friends prior knowledge it would be just like "finding" a mag.:43:

That would make for a great "secret Santa" ring :)

bohoki
12-21-2008, 1:20 PM
Such bins already exist, they're called trash cans.

Um... no.

so say i huck a crappy mag i got from cheaper than dirt (anybody remember those junk mags 9mm double stack for many diffferent guns and none of them worked)

and someone dives into the can and takes it

was any law broken?

i guess one could say you cannot throw it away because you are in fact giving it to the "garbage disposal service"

DedEye
12-21-2008, 6:18 PM
so say i huck a crappy mag i got from cheaper than dirt (anybody remember those junk mags 9mm double stack for many diffferent guns and none of them worked)

and someone dives into the can and takes it

was any law broken?

i guess one could say you cannot throw it away because you are in fact giving it to the "garbage disposal service"

The argument of this thread is that no laws are being broken. An overzealous LEO or DA may disagree, but good luck to them proving anything illegal transpired.