PDA

View Full Version : Old Mags - New Rifle

Aldemar
12-19-2008, 1:04 PM
Hi Gang,

Did a search but could not find the exact answer:

I reciently purchased a new M1A. Of course, it comes with the 10 round mag.

I have had in my possession since way before 2000 several 20 rounders from another rifle. The rifle and mags are currently at my property in Arizona but were in California until 2003.

I am pretty sure I can return the 20 rounders to California but can I legally use them on the NEW rifle? It would seem like using 20 rd mags in a new rifle may be a red flag to someone looking for such things.

Al

Shotgun Man
12-19-2008, 1:07 PM
Hi Gang,

Did a search but could not find the exact answer:

I reciently purchased a new M1A. Of course, it comes with the 10 round mag.

I have had in my possession since way before 2000 several 20 rounders from another rifle. The rifle and mags are currently at my property in Arizona but were in California until 2003.

I am pretty sure I can return the 20 rounders to California but can I legally use them on the NEW rifle? It would seem like using 20 rd mags in a new rifle may be a red flag to someone looking for such things.

Al

I forget the PC, but you would be importing hi capacity magazines, which is a crime, (a felony I think).

CHS
12-19-2008, 1:11 PM
I forget the PC, but you would be importing hi capacity magazines, which is a crime, (a felony I think).

Nno no no no no no no.

You are wrong. Please, no FUD here.

To the OP:

If those magazines were in CA before 2000, you may legally leave and re-enter the state with them. This is NOT importing a standard capacity magazine.

Since the M1A is a featureless rifle, you are perfectly fine using your lawfully owned and possessed 20rd magazines in that same rifle both in CA and in AZ.

Make sure that the M1A you purchased is actually the CA model that comes with a muzzle brake rather than a flash hider.

And DO NOT listen to "Shotgun Man".

Aldemar
12-19-2008, 1:12 PM
Even though I have owned them since the mid 1970's?? To reiterate, they were at my California residence until 2003.

Can not one take their standard cap mags out of state to shoot and then return with them?

postal16
12-19-2008, 1:13 PM
I have a 20 round mag for my M1A that I bought before 2000 in anticipation of getting a M1A. I only use this mag when shooting across the course, which requires it (as I have not found any M1A/M14 10/20 mags). I do not use it otherwise so that I do not bring unnecessary attention to my self shooting my Cal Legal M1A.

My understanding is that the burden of proof to prove you didn't possess those mags and kept them in the state prior to the ban is on the DA, but that doesn't keep the DA/LEO from taking your guns and making you pay exhorborate legal fees while they do it. I rather avoid all that mess.

CHS
12-19-2008, 1:16 PM
The FUD in this thread is very thick.

Shotgun Man
12-19-2008, 1:18 PM
I just didn't read the question closely enough. It happened to me all the time in school.

Aldemar
12-19-2008, 1:22 PM
BDSMCHS...

Looks like our posts crossed. Yes, it's the Socom 16 with the muzzle-brake. Purchased in Califorrnia.

Since my father gave them to me (40 years Army) I may just get some 10 rounders so as not to attract undue attention.

Al

gunsmith
12-19-2008, 1:24 PM
my initial thought was , no , it would be illegal.
I'm glad it isn't.
you guys shouldn't fud someone up so quickly!

postal16
12-19-2008, 1:26 PM
The FUD in this thread is very thick.

My thoughts were that I would rather not risk running into a uniformed LEO having a bad day for 10 extra rounds at the range.

But based on your comment above, it is true that as a featurless rifle I have been guilty of FUD and I appreciate the reeducation. That is why I love Calguns!

CHS
12-19-2008, 1:29 PM
Since my father gave them to me (40 years Army) I may just get some 10 rounders so as not to attract undue attention.

Why on earth would you do that? You've got legal 20rd'ers. Use them. Enjoy them.

There is absolutely nothing illegal whatsoever with possessing and using 20rd magazines in any rifle as long as you don't trigger an AW definition. On the M1A, you won't.

I use my standard cap's all the time at public ranges, even in front of law enforcement.

Seriously, why are all of you people so scared of doing perfectly legal things? No one is getting busted or harassed for standard capacity mags out there unless they are building AW's or HAVE ALREADY attracted the attention of LEO's.

But standard cap mags in and of themselves don't attract any attention.

sorensen440
12-19-2008, 1:30 PM
Nno no no no no no no.

You are wrong. Please, no FUD here.

To the OP:

If those magazines were in CA before 2000, you may legally leave and re-enter the state with them. This is NOT importing a standard capacity magazine.

Since the M1A is a featureless rifle, you are perfectly fine using your lawfully owned and possessed 20rd magazines in that same rifle both in CA and in AZ.

Make sure that the M1A you purchased is actually the CA model that comes with a muzzle brake rather than a flash hider.

And DO NOT listen to "Shotgun Man".
This is correct

Aldemar
12-19-2008, 1:44 PM
"Why on earth would you do that? You've got legal 20rd'ers. Use them. Enjoy them."

Unfortunately, I live the City of Los Angeles. Another 5 years and I retire to Arizona. I got to thinking I would not like to spend part of those 5 years fighting the idiots that run the city in a courtroom as well as depleting my bank account.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. I think may be one of those times.

Al

aplinker
Use your mags.

Perfectly legal.

I get no looks and neither should you.

Trapper
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.php

(23) The importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with the large-capacity magazine previously lawfully possessed in the state.

IPSC and three gun shooters who compete in matches out of state travel with full capacity magazines all the time.

JDay
12-19-2008, 3:10 PM
I doubt LEO would even give your M1A a second look, its not an EBR after all.

383green
12-19-2008, 3:13 PM
I doubt LEO would even give your M1A a second look, its not an EBR after all.

I'm not so sure... the SOCOM 16 mentioned above is, in fact, a black rifle, and whenever I see one at a gun store it tries to slip a couple grand out of my wallet and follow me home... sounds evil to me! :D

CHS
12-19-2008, 3:38 PM
It's times like these that I wish it was legal to give away standard capacity mags in CA if they were legally possessed before 2000.

There are too many people out there that are afraid to use them because they believe they are illegal.

If they could just give them to me, I'd make sure they got used.

383green
12-19-2008, 3:50 PM
It's times like these that I wish it was legal to give away standard capacity mags in CA if they were legally possessed before 2000.

There are too many people out there that are afraid to use them because they believe they are illegal.

If they could just give them to me, I'd make sure they got used.

If they are afraid to possess them, then they should throw them away.

In your garbage can.

Noisily.

While you're home.

:p

CHS
12-19-2008, 4:00 PM
If they are afraid to possess them, then they should throw them away.
In your garbage can.
Noisily.
While you're home.
:p

Ooooooh,... Looky what I "found"... :)

sorensen440
12-19-2008, 4:01 PM
Ooooooh,... Looky what I "found"... :)

True that
If I win the lottery I plan on buying many thousands of standard capacity magazines and misplacing them on the ground at the gun ranges for people to find :D

383green
12-19-2008, 4:04 PM
True that
If I win the lottery I plan on buying many thousands of standard capacity magazines and misplacing them on the ground at the gun ranges for people to find :D

Well, if I win the lottery, I plan to buy a billboard along a major freeway that says "Kid Rock Sucks". :D

sorensen440
12-19-2008, 4:07 PM
Well, if I win the lottery, I plan to buy a billboard along a major freeway that says "Kid Rock Sucks". :D

start saving now I'll split the cost with you ;)