PDA

View Full Version : Calguns Foundation and PayPal

Shotgun Man
12-19-2008, 1:12 PM
When you contribute to the Calguns Foundation using PayPal, what personal information does CF receive from the contributor?

Also, I've gleaned from prior posts that some people have an issue with paypal. What is this issue?

ENTHUSIAST
12-19-2008, 1:38 PM
They HATE guns and can close your account and seize the funds if they "find out" you were buying guns with your PayPal account...

hoffmang
12-19-2008, 1:58 PM
Paging Ben Cannon!

-Gene

Turbinator
12-19-2008, 3:29 PM
Can we not use Paypal for this? If the account set up to receive the funds is a business account, then Paypal collect their fees every time someone contributes. Why would we want to fund the opposition while trying to fund our own cause?

Turby

DDT
12-19-2008, 3:58 PM
They HATE guns and can close your account and seize the funds if they "find out" you were buying guns with your PayPal account...

How the hell is that legal.... Sounds like it time to sue the crap out of eBay and get this changed (might be able to get guns up on eBay as well since it's the same company.)

oaklander
12-19-2008, 3:59 PM
I don't think we get very much, if any information from PP - but I'll wait for Ben Cannon to jump in and clarify.

What *I* do is use my online checking account. I have a monthly payment set up to automatically send a check to the CGF each month. This way I don't have to worry about it or remember it.

sorensen440
12-19-2008, 4:01 PM
how hard would it be to have the CGF take credit cards without using paypal ?

madmike
12-19-2008, 4:06 PM
What *I* do is use my online checking account. I have a monthly payment set up to automatically send a check to the CGF each month. This way I don't have to worry about it or remember it.

That is brilliant! I wish I'd thought of it!

-mm

hoffmang
12-19-2008, 4:46 PM
how hard would it be to have the CGF take credit cards without using paypal ?

It is some work, and we plan on doing it. Right now you may notice that we're a little too busy actually doing the work of defending people and causing the right kinds of trouble for the other side.

Let us get through the end of the year paper shuffle and make a couple of tech infrastructure changes and we'll see about setting up credit cards and recurring billing direct to a merchant account provider that we know and trust. Quite a few of the CGF board members are in the business.

If you are at all worried about paypal, checks or homebanking to the HQ address come right to me and get to the bank whenever I can remember to go to lunch next to the bank.

-Gene

ke6guj
12-19-2008, 5:46 PM
What *I* do is use my online checking account.
Same here, when I pay my bills, if there is extra fundage, I bang off of a check to CGF and BWO's TMLLP account. Gotta add in a new one for Don's TMLLP account now.

wooger
12-19-2008, 6:54 PM
Just out of curiousity, when we do contribute via paypal do you even know where it comes from?

Vectrexer
12-19-2008, 8:07 PM
I have used PayPal for years. Purchased many firearm related items.

Have yet to have a problem and certainly no off calls from PayPal warning me to stop. But I have read that others have issues.

Shotgun Man
12-20-2008, 7:20 AM
Just out of curiousity, when we do contribute via paypal do you even know where it comes from?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing in my OP.

Turbinator
12-20-2008, 7:29 AM
Well, everytime you get a Paypal payment, it tells you an e-mail address that sent the payment to you, but unless you are able to tie your Calguns name to your e-mail address somehow, there might not be any connection.

Turby

Shotgun Man
12-20-2008, 7:57 AM
Well, everytime you get a Paypal payment, it tells you an e-mail address that sent the payment to you, but unless you are able to tie your Calguns name to your e-mail address somehow, there might not be any connection.

Turby

Thanks. That's what I was wondering.

artherd
12-20-2008, 9:44 AM
Thanks for your inquiry. When you donate via PayPal, CGF gets your e-mail address, and possibly your shipping address (unless you select that an address is not necessary.)

We don't actually collect anything but name and email - so we can email you a tax form when our 501(c)3 nonprofit status is complete.

For more information, including an address to send checks, please see:
http://calgunsfoundation.org/main/index.php/donate

I am working on adding the ability to take CCs directly, and much more, for 2009!

Best!
-Ben