PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Coyote in Scotts Valley on private property?

AlexBreya
12-19-2008, 10:38 AM
hey, my family has 12 acres in the santa cruz mountains, more specifically ben lomond, and i have heard coyotes and got a picture of one on a game camera. since i'm not registered to hunt deer, and squirrel/crow is kind of boring, i wanted to pursue hunting coyote or raccoon. the only problem is, i've never seen a raccoon here (except on a trail camera) and if i did kill a coyote, i wouldn't know what to do with the body. would i stuff it? burry it? just let it lay there?

i've got a Ruger 10/22, a GSG-5, and an AR15 so which of these would be best to use?

i would honestly rather shoot raccoons, but i dont know how to find them, or a coyote. can anyone help me? any advice?

thanks

cheese
12-19-2008, 10:52 AM
What do you mean registered to hunt deer? I am pretty sure you need a hunters license to hunt any of the above including raccoon and coyotes.

jkcerda
12-19-2008, 11:38 AM
AR would be the best choice, and youneed a hunting lic to go after any of them, good luck.

capitol
12-19-2008, 7:29 PM
Coon hunting usually involves dogs, lights and it's done during the dark hours unless your trapping

B.D.Dubloon
12-19-2008, 7:59 PM
Can you shoot on private property in Ben Lomond? I live in Scott s Valley and know a guuy who is thinking of getting some land back there in the mountains.

DD

AlexBreya
12-20-2008, 8:25 PM
Can you shoot on private property in Ben Lomond? I live in Scott s Valley and know a guuy who is thinking of getting some land back there in the mountains.

DD

i know i can shoot here, i've got 12 acres and a few neighbors shoot a lot too. i live near the little red school house if you by any chance know what that is.

and to the rest of you, i'm like 100% positive you don't need a license, only the safety course, to hunt coyote because they're varmint. i've looked it up, there are no tags you can buy for coyote. and its on private property. can anyone just tell me what to do with a dead coyote?

Blue
12-20-2008, 8:34 PM
i know i can shoot here, i've got 12 acres and a few neighbors shoot a lot too. i live near the little red school house if you by any chance know what that is.

and to the rest of you, i'm like 100% positive you don't need a license, only the safety course, to hunt coyote because they're varmint. i've looked it up, there are no tags you can buy for coyote. and its on private property. can anyone just tell me what to do with a dead coyote?

I've been told that you need a license. Kind of like a fishing license where you need certain tags for certain fish or areas. They're non game so there's no season or bag limit though. I'd just leave the yote there after you take your pics with it. Or skin it if it isn't all mangy.

popndrop
12-20-2008, 9:58 PM
you can skin a dead Yote - they sometimes have very nice pelts. I've seen a few that were super nice - and then I've killed a few that were mangy and nasty - so you can just find a shallow hole to leave them in.
...And need it or not - it's best to have a hunting Lic in hand while walking around with a gun out of doors unless you're at the range.

Scout106
12-20-2008, 11:10 PM
And be sure to use non-lead approved by CDF&G bullets! You wouldn't want to poison a Condor.

Santa Cruz Armory
12-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Hey I'm in B-Lo... Lets pick off a few yotes!

I'd just drag 'em off to a nearby spot and leave 'em lay. Theres plenty of other critters that would snack on them.

AlexBreya
12-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey I'm in B-Lo... Lets pick off a few yotes!

I'd just drag 'em off to a nearby spot and leave 'em lay. Theres plenty of other critters that would snack on them.

You live in Ben Lomond? do you know where Alba Road is? I'd be down to shoot coyote with you, but i've never hunted more than pheasant and squirrel.

And to the other guy, do you really need non lead bullets? its on private property, and i shoot lead bullets all the time, so why couldn't i hunt with them? besides, i've never even seen a condor around here...

Friendo
12-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I am somewhat new to hunting myself, but I think you may be confusing two different hunting issues.

1."A California hunting license is required for taking any bird or mammal" You get the license by completing the safety course you referred to. The class was fun and easy. The hard part seems to be finding private land to hunt on, which you luckily already have.

2. To shoot some bigger game such as deer you also need to buy a separate "tag" in addition to the hunting license.

3. Santa Cruz County is not part of the defined Condor range and you can use regular lead bullets

Officially Santa Cruz county does have an extensive "no shooting zone", which includes a strip along the Highway 9 corridor. Although I don't know how strictly it is enforced in the Ben Lomond area. Probably depends on your neighbors. Although, I bet you would be quick to find out if you are in it when you and a dozen new friends were stalking around with evil black rifles. You can check it out with the interactive map at http://gis.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/ check layers for land use and no shoot zone

AlexBreya
12-21-2008, 12:19 PM
I am somewhat new to hunting myself, but I think you may be confusing two different hunting issues.

1."A California hunting license is required for taking any bird or mammal" You get the license by completing the safety course you referred to. The class was fun and easy. The hard part seems to be finding private land to hunt on, which you luckily already have.

2. To shoot some bigger game such as deer you also need to buy a separate "tag" in addition to the hunting license.

3. Santa Cruz County is not part of the defined Condor range and you can use regular lead bullets

Officially Santa Cruz county does have an extensive "no shooting zone", which includes a strip along the Highway 9 corridor. Although I don't know how strictly it is enforced in the Ben Lomond area. Probably depends on your neighbors. Although, I bet you would be quick to find out if you are in it when you and a dozen new friends were stalking around with evil black rifles. You can check it out with the interactive map at http://gis.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/ check layers for land use and no shoot zone

hey thanks. i didn't know that you get the license by taking the course. i haven't taken the course yet and i'm 17. (i'd be with my dad) i was planning on taking the class, but i don't know where you go to do it. is there anywhere that offers the class over the next couple weeks?

Santa Cruz Armory
12-21-2008, 10:21 PM
You live in Ben Lomond? do you know where Alba Road is? I'd be down to shoot coyote with you, but i've never hunted more than pheasant and squirrel.

And to the other guy, do you really need non lead bullets? its on private property, and i shoot lead bullets all the time, so why couldn't i hunt with them? besides, i've never even seen a condor around here...

I do know where Alba is. How far up do you live? North of Lorien Wy. looks ok to shoot with a small no shoot area around Western Ave.

Check this site out:

http://gis.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/internet/wwwgisweb/viewer.htm

AlexBreya
12-21-2008, 10:47 PM
I do know where Alba is. How far up do you live? North of Lorien Wy. looks ok to shoot with a small no shoot area around Western Ave.

Check this site out:

http://gis.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/internet/wwwgisweb/viewer.htm

i haven't been here long so i wasn't really sure where lorien is, so i looked it up. my house is 1.4 miles away from lorien, we go past you on abla. Do you know that guy that has the huge field and the little pond? or the little red school house? thats where we are. we haven't really met the neighbors yet cause we just go a house up here recently. did you by any chance here about 100 gun shots around 4:00 today? if so, that was us.

otteray
12-22-2008, 5:14 AM
Santa Cruz County is not in the condor lead ban area.
Get a depredation permit from F&G for coyotes or hogs.
I take lunch breaks at the schoolhouse (Alba Rd Library) from time to time;
nice spot.

AlexBreya
12-22-2008, 8:55 AM
Santa Cruz County is not in the condor lead ban area.
Get a depredation permit from F&G for coyotes or hogs.
I take lunch breaks at the schoolhouse (Alba Rd Library) from time to time;
nice spot.

The little red school house? that driveway next to it is where i live. you may have met my dad, or even seen me walking around there with an Airgun.

Salty
12-22-2008, 11:29 AM
and to the rest of you, i'm like 100% positive you don't need a license, only the safety course, to hunt coyote because they're varmint. i've looked it up, there are no tags you can buy for coyote. and its on private property.

You need to pass Hunters ED AND buy a hunting license. No tags required, but you still need the ~$40 license, private property or not. In Hunters ED I was told that if a game warden sees you hunting he can come on to your land regardless of wether it's private or not to check your license.

Salty
12-22-2008, 11:30 AM
And be sure to use non-lead approved by CDF&G bullets! You wouldn't want to poison a Condor.

Doesn't need those in Ben Lomond.

do you really need non lead bullets? its on private property, and i shoot lead bullets all the time, so why couldn't i hunt with them? besides, i've never even seen a condor around here...

Even though lead is fine in Santa Cruz County, if it weren't ok private property would be treated the same as public. Meaning that if lead ammo was banned for hunting in Santa Cruz County, you could not use it on public OR private land. You can use lead ammo for target shooting regardless of where you are though, it's only hunting that is covered by the lead ammo ban.

hey thanks. i didn't know that you get the license by taking the course. i haven't taken the course yet and i'm 17. (i'd be with my dad) i was planning on taking the class, but i don't know where you go to do it. is there anywhere that offers the class over the next couple weeks?

You don't get the license by taking the course. You take the course and you get a Hunters ED card which is good for life, but you have to buy a new license each year.

I highly recommend the class at Coyote Clays. It's held every month, and is one of the only live fire classes in California. The instructors that teach the class are also the same instructors that teach many of the (optional) advanced hunters ed classes in the state.
http://www.coyoteclays.com/HunterSafety.htm
For other classes you can look here:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/classes.aspx

By the way, part of Alba Road borders a State Park so be careful to know where you are when bringing a gun / shooting / hunting. In a State Park your gun needs to be unloaded and locked up or disassembled (if I recall correctly).

otteray
12-22-2008, 4:33 PM
My friend, some friendly advice.
Keep the shooting to a minimum. Do you target practice at a range. Nearby Scotts Valley Sportsman's Club, for example.
http://www.scottsvalleysportsman.com/rules.html
Save your on- property shots for hunting only.
Why?
Your area is loaded with Berkenstock anti- gun types who will shut you down!
Look what happened up the road at Eagle Rock on Empire Grade Rd, a great shooting area. Shut down by nervous neighbors.
PM me if you need more info about SVSC