PDA

View Full Version : Varmint hunting in Southern California?

BP88
12-19-2008, 2:36 AM
Okay, I'm stuck here in the suburbs of Orange County and me and a buddy want to do some varmint hunting some time soon. I read some about some places like Carrizo Plains, but that's pretty far from Orange County. Anything closer? We're hoping to do some coyote hunting. My friend will be using his 5.56 AR-15 and I will probably lug my 870 /w slugs or my 91/30.

skateboarder74
12-19-2008, 6:34 AM
Ortegas. Great coyote hunting. Anywhere past the ORV park. Make sure you have electric caller.

BP88
12-19-2008, 7:00 AM
Ortegas. Great coyote hunting. Anywhere past the ORV park. Make sure you have electric caller.

Can you be more specific as to where this place is? You're not referring to Ortega Highway, are you?

StraightShooter
12-19-2008, 8:08 AM
Can you be more specific as to where this place is? You're not referring to Ortega Highway, are you?

I believe he is, and if not, i have hunted there too and its not bad for coyotes. I wouldnt recommend however your friend taking his AR here because I have and have been hasseled pretty bad. Its up to you though. Make sure you are far enough away from the OHV park and any other rivate land out there. Get a blm map. Also, if you are using your shotgun, using #4 turkey loads or Dead Coyote shells are a better way to go. Good Luck

CavTrooper
12-19-2008, 8:21 AM
I believe he is, and if not, i have hunted there too and its not bad for coyotes. I wouldnt recommend however your friend taking his AR here because I have and have been hasseled pretty bad. Its up to you though. Make sure you are far enough away from the OHV park and any other rivate land out there. Get a blm map. Also, if you are using your shotgun, using #4 turkey loads or Dead Coyote shells are a better way to go. Good Luck

Just curious as to why you reccomend this? Is there some kind of regulation up there limiting shot size? I ask because I generally prefer #4 BUCK, BB or BBB as an alternative to Dead Coyote. I use 1 shell of the DC in the chamber with the rest being #4 buck (cost effective), but on reccomendation Im going to try out some Remington HD BB.

skateboarder74
12-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Yes I am. Stop by the ranger station talked to them let them know what you are doing. Some of the rangers are super cool and will direct you in the right place. Do not go towards Blue Jay camp ground, too many people and to rugged. Also NOT bringing the AR is a great idea. They will hassle you, no matter what. One time I was detained for 4 hours till a CHP got there. When he showed up He apologized and sent me on my way. Make sure you have an Adventure pass also. You can pick one up at the Candy Store is you don’t have an Annual Pass.
What has worked best for me;
1. Make sure everything you need you can put in a back pack.
2. Go scout out a good place walking distance from the ORV camp ground.
3. Park at the OHV camp ground.
4. Walk to your place get there before the evening.
5. Get a evening hunt in.
6. Set up camp.
7. Have chicken on the bone for dinner, the pre cooked at Ralph's are great, makes sure you bring more than enough.
8. Don’t worry about packing out your bones Coyotes love them! Just don’t leave them to close to your camp. THE BONES WILL ATRACT COYOTES.
9. Make sure you have a side-arm; I prefer a 10mm, and a good bright flash light. Sometimes the Coyotes will get really, really, really close.
10. Get up early and get in a morning hunt.
11. Go back to your truck re-supply and head back out.
12. DON’T GO BACK TO THE SAME SPOT. Chances are the Coyotes will come back again looking for more food.
13. GOOD LUCK

BP88
12-19-2008, 2:55 PM
Yes I am. Stop by the ranger station talked to them let them know what you are doing. Some of the rangers are super cool and will direct you in the right place. Do not go towards Blue Jay camp ground, too many people and to rugged. Also NOT bringing the AR is a great idea. They will hassle you, no matter what. One time I was detained for 4 hours till a CHP got there. When he showed up He apologized and sent me on my way. Make sure you have an Adventure pass also. You can pick one up at the Candy Store is you don’t have an Annual Pass.
What has worked best for me;
1. Make sure everything you need you can put in a back pack.
2. Go scout out a good place walking distance from the ORV camp ground.
3. Park at the OHV camp ground.
4. Walk to your place get there before the evening.
5. Get a evening hunt in.
6. Set up camp.
7. Have chicken on the bone for dinner, the pre cooked at Ralph's are great, makes sure you bring more than enough.
8. Don’t worry about packing out your bones Coyotes love them! Just don’t leave them to close to your camp. THE BONES WILL ATRACT COYOTES.
9. Make sure you have a side-arm; I prefer a 10mm, and a good bright flash light. Sometimes the Coyotes will get really, really, really close.
10. Get up early and get in a morning hunt.
11. Go back to your truck re-supply and head back out.
12. DON’T GO BACK TO THE SAME SPOT. Chances are the Coyotes will come back again looking for more food.
13. GOOD LUCK

Thanks, dude! I really appreciate all of your guys' help. It appears that coyote hunting was closer than I had expected...

How much is an 'Adventure Pass', and how long is it good for?

zrock
12-19-2008, 4:18 PM
Join OC varmint club or riverside club . You will learn/ shot alot. Very cheap and good fun. Let me know and i'll get the info for you.

12many
12-19-2008, 5:34 PM
What exactly do you guys do with the dead coyotes? l ask only ask because i want to do this in San Diego but don't know what i would do with them.

bush wacker
12-19-2008, 6:20 PM
zrock, can you send me some info on the varmint hunting clubs, been looking for some thing close to home.

StraightShooter
12-19-2008, 8:47 PM
My bad cavtrooper, i meant #4 buck ( almost typed turkey again dangit).

An adventure pass is 30 bucks i think and lasts for a year. Make sure you are shooting at a coyote and not a fox. It is however gray fox season and there are no tags needed. Just make sure you follow all the laws because there are rangers up there.

Seesm
12-20-2008, 12:08 AM
I love hunting coyotes but I would almost feel bad hunting a grey fox as I have only seen 1 or 2 ever...

zrock
12-20-2008, 5:56 AM
I would goole both the Predator callers of oc & Riverside varmint club.
Both take you to the ca varmint clubs forums , then get contact info there.
I think the OC club meets at the turners store on brookhurst in fnvly. Most So cal clubs hunt the same places up the 395 hwy or above barstow then
they swing out towards nevada. 90% of your hunting is done at night so hunting in orange county or riverside is out. You will leave 8-9 pm friday
night sleeping during the day then start hunting 4pm till 7am . Most fun i ever had . It will also improve your deer/ hog hunting skills zr

indetrucks
12-20-2008, 6:29 AM
I only varmint hunt near the border...lol

jk jk

BP88
12-20-2008, 2:11 PM
I only varmint hunt near the border...lol

jk jk

Hahaha! We know you're not kidding!

:ninja:

skateboarder74
12-22-2008, 2:06 PM
Stomp them into the mudd like a mud hen or seagull

1911 pro
10-12-2010, 6:48 PM
I'm 14 and just got my hunting licence, and wanted to go coyote hunting. I was wondering where a good area is, the closer to LA the better. I'm not new to guns just hunting. If anyone has any pointers i would appreciate that too.

Thanks
Richard

P.S. I am replying instead of posting a thread, because i don't know how too, so that info would help also

Thanks

toby
10-12-2010, 6:54 PM
Richard/1911 pro , Welcome you will recieve some help here for sure it just takes a while, and on the posting just click the NEW THREAD in the upper left corner of the page, fill in a title, and go from there. :)

1911 pro
10-12-2010, 6:56 PM
thank you so much

mwunsch
10-13-2010, 9:13 AM
Just curious as to why you reccomend this? Is there some kind of regulation up there limiting shot size? I ask because I generally prefer #4 BUCK, BB or BBB as an alternative to Dead Coyote. I use 1 shell of the DC in the chamber with the rest being #4 buck (cost effective), but on reccomendation Im going to try out some Remington HD BB.

Do you not need to have lead free in the shotgun?

Im assuming you use lead free loads, as I like your choice of shell.

I typically use dead coyote if i use the shotty, but actually prefer my BAR .243

devilinblack
10-13-2010, 9:37 AM
You only need lead free in the condor zone or when hunting water fowl (near water iirc). For yotes in that area (Ortegas, Cleveland Natl. Forest) there would be no reason to not use lead.

1911 pro
10-13-2010, 2:19 PM
does anyone know any good locations near LA if possible, preferably, not lead free zones, but not necessary
:49:

professionalcoyotehunter
10-13-2010, 2:21 PM
almost all areas around LA are lead free zones. Anywhere the hunting is good I can guarantee is lead free.

CavTrooper
10-13-2010, 2:40 PM
Do you not need to have lead free in the shotgun?

Im assuming you use lead free loads, as I like your choice of shell.

I typically use dead coyote if i use the shotty, but actually prefer my BAR .243

No lead free needed outside of the condor zone. I switched to #4 buck almost exclusivley since I rarely hunt the condor zone (and still manage to kill more coyotes than the "pro").

1911 pro
10-13-2010, 2:42 PM
so do you know any good areas that are lead free zones

professionalcoyotehunter
10-13-2010, 2:49 PM
No lead free needed outside of the condor zone. I switched to #4 buck almost exclusivley since I rarely hunt the condor zone (and still manage to kill more coyotes than the "pro").

Unless hunting waterfowl near water. You wish you could bro.:D

professionalcoyotehunter
10-13-2010, 2:50 PM

Get a map and head out there. There are plenty of areas but you have to drive.

professionalcoyotehunter
10-13-2010, 2:52 PM
Possession of leaded ammo in a lead free area will get you in big trouble. whether it be a shotty or a rifle.

1911 pro
10-13-2010, 2:53 PM
is there better hunting in the southern parts, or north towards central california

igorts
10-13-2010, 2:58 PM
was doing some research on non-lead recently, here is what i digged:
What about target shooting, “plinking”, or firearms for personal protection?
The Commission does not regulate these activities. Use of lead projectiles is legal
unless another government entity has determined otherwise for lands they administer.
The regulations prohibiting lead only relate to possession while engaged in specified
hunting activities.
Rimfire firearms are legal for nongame animals (coyotes and ground squirrels primarily)and for sport hunting of small game mammals [hares (jackrabbits), cottontail, and tree squirrel]. However, for nongame animals the Commission has prohibited use of lead projectiles in .22 rimfire or smaller firearms as part of this regulation change in condor range.
The Commission has not addressed the issue of hunting small game mammals because that section of the regulations was not “opened” for potential change. Therefore, hunters can legally hunt jackrabbit, cottontail, and tree squirrel using lead projectiles, but not ground squirrels in the same area.
Pellet rifles are not considered a firearm. Consequently, neither pellet rifles nor their projectiles would be included in the ban.

CavTrooper
10-13-2010, 3:03 PM
Unless hunting waterfowl near water. You wish you could bro.:D

Thread is called "varmint hunting", no one mentioned ducks.

CavTrooper
10-13-2010, 3:04 PM

Lancaster. Its the best place in all the world to kill coyotes.

Except for Isreal, and some parts of the moon.

professionalcoyotehunter
10-13-2010, 3:10 PM
I wish the best place to hunt was in Lancaster but I dont use a shotgun so I dont hunt there.

Helpful_Cub
10-13-2010, 3:21 PM
Just FYI, I found a good deal on Lead-free .223 ammo at Cabela's. Its 55 grain so hopefully it will follow the same trajectory as my range ammo. Its $14.99 for a box of 20 and its $5 shipping on orders over $99 with their XFALL code. I bought a few calls and ammo and it set me over for the discounted shipping.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Winchester-Lead-Free-Varmint-Ammunition/728484.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DWIN CHESTER%2BVARMINT%2BAMMO&Ntt=WINCHESTER+VARMINT+AMMO

professionalcoyotehunter
10-13-2010, 3:24 PM
Awesome. It will shoot differently than range ammo but not by much. Your left to right will be the same but your bullet trajectory will be different.

1911 pro
10-13-2010, 3:32 PM
i prefer rifle to shotgun, so if that makes a big difference, in the best places to hunt please let me know

professionalcoyotehunter
10-13-2010, 3:36 PM
However, for nongame animals the Commission has prohibited use of lead projectiles in .22 rimfire or smaller firearms as part of this regulation change in condor range.
The Commission has not addressed the issue of hunting small game mammals because that section of the regulations was not “opened” for potential change. Therefore, hunters can legally hunt jackrabbit, cottontail, and tree squirrel using lead projectiles, but not ground squirrels in the same area.

This was updated since the release of lead free ammo earlier this year. All animals in the lead free zone being hunted with .22's must have lead free ammo.

1911 pro
10-13-2010, 3:55 PM
what about lancaster is bad for rifles

professionalcoyotehunter
10-13-2010, 3:59 PM
Rifles are prohibited to use in that part of LA County.

This will show you the map of areas for LA county.

http://mappery.com/Los-Angeles-County-Firearms-Closure-Area-Map

1911 pro
10-13-2010, 4:08 PM
thanks

1911 pro
10-13-2010, 4:11 PM
so is there a specific place that is rifle freindly that produces good amounts of coyote

professionalcoyotehunter
10-13-2010, 4:14 PM
All over socal.

1911 pro
10-13-2010, 4:18 PM
any where specifically or is it all about the same

professionalcoyotehunter
10-13-2010, 4:19 PM
Oh, it takes a bit of scouting to find them. Since I am a guide I cant give up my spots on an open board. If you want to tag along on a hunt sometime I would show you how it is done.

CoyoteHunter555
10-13-2010, 4:40 PM
Oh, it takes a bit of scouting to find them. Since I am a guide I cant give up my spots on an open board. If you want to tag along on a hunt sometime I would show you how it is done.

True that

devilinblack
10-13-2010, 6:44 PM
This was updated since the release of lead free ammo earlier this year. All animals in the lead free zone being hunted with .22's must have lead free ammo.

Not to threadjack, but I've seen this discussed here on calguns, but I've never been able to find, nor have I seen anyone post anything from Fish and Game directly stating that this policy has been updated.

Sorry, but I don't care for "I heard from a guy who knew a dude" anecdotes, does anyone have the info "from the horses mouth"?

I guess it's not that much of an issue for me since I seem to be content with hunting critters and camping in X10 for right now, but someplace closer to find some bunnies would be nice.

TrailerparkTrash
10-13-2010, 7:23 PM
Draw an imaginary line across the base of the foothills of the San Gabriel mountains. Anything north of the foothills is illegal to use lead ammo for hunting. It's all the CRAPdor range.

All of Riverside, orange, San Diego and Imperial counties are legal to use lead.

Also, north and east of the Big Bear area is good to use lead. Anything west of Big Bear (i.e. Cajon Pass) and one must use lead free. :mad::mad::mad:

Great places to hunt coyote near LA is within the Angeles national forest. Just hike off the forest roads, find a nice open spot (relatively speaking) and start calling for coyotes. They'll come. You might consider bobcat tags too. By the way, when hunting within the NF boundary, rifles are perfectly LEGAL to use in LA county. Just up near the Palmdale/Lancaster desert areas one must use shotguns only for hunting.

In the Angeles, Iv'e called in mountain lions, black bears, hawks, owls, ravens, crows, Grey Foxes, Coyotes, bobcats, certain species of magpie like birds etc....

It's too bad we can't use electronic game calls for bears. i'd have 3 that way. I'd also have about 5 mountain lions that I've called in (that I know of)over the past 20 years of calling.

I also love areas north of Barstow. Wide open areas for coyotes. In north LA county, the forest areas that are still open are great coyote spots to call.

TheCilician
10-14-2010, 7:47 AM
just saw a great book in a second hand book shop that catalogs all varmints that can be hunted. It's a bit dated, but a good find non-the-less. has almost every damn varmint you could think of, pretty good detail of the hunts, and habbits.

must have been like $5. I can pick it up and ship it to you if you want, just pay me later. PM me if you're interested

tony270
10-14-2010, 8:28 AM
Not to threadjack, but I've seen this discussed here on calguns, but I've never been able to find, nor have I seen anyone post anything from Fish and Game directly stating that this policy has been updated.

Sorry, but I don't care for "I heard from a guy who knew a dude" anecdotes, does anyone have the info "from the horses mouth"?

I guess it's not that much of an issue for me since I seem to be content with hunting critters and camping in X10 for right now, but someplace closer to find some bunnies would be nice.

Technically it is against the law to shoot varmints or predators with lead bullets in the protected condor zone. However, we are allowed take game animals with .22 lead ammunition or smaller. I believe this possible because of two reasons.

Reason 1 being that people don’t leave game animals in the field like they do varmints and predators. And reason 2 is that there’s not enough compliant .22 ammunition on the market, and or not enough manufactures.
Check out the link below;

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/
Effective July 1, 2008, it is illegal to use or possess lead projectiles (bullets) while hunting big game and non game species in the range of the endangered California condor.
Lead poisoning is a serious threat to wild condors. Lead bullet fragments have been found to be a potential source of this risk to condors. To protect condors from lead poisoning as a result of hunting activity, hunters can no longer use or possess lead projectiles while hunting in condor range.
For a list of nonlead projectiles approved for hunting in condor range visit the DFG Web site at www.dfg. ca.gov. For more information please call (916) 445-3406.
Hunting big game or nongame with
lead projectiles carries a maximum fine
of $5000.

devilinblack
10-14-2010, 10:28 AM
I understand all of that, I was questioning PCH's statement that: "All animals in the lead free zone being hunted with .22's must have lead free ammo." At some point recently .22 lead free became more widely available, lack of availability is why DFG said they were not going to require lead free .22 ammo. Once the lead-free .22LR rounds started showing up on the shelves I started seeing people posting here that you now must use it and that the lead ammo would no longer be allowed. I've never been able to find this in writing from the DFG and I'm just trying to either prevent the spread of misinformation or find out where it states that they changed the regs.

"Rimfire firearms are legal for nongame animals (coyotes and ground squirrels primarily) and for sport hunting of small game mammals [hares (jackrabbits), cottontail, and tree squirrel]. However, for nongame animals the Commission has prohibited use of lead projectiles in .22 rimfire or smaller firearms as part of this regulation change in condor range.

The Commission has not addressed the issue of hunting small game mammals because that section of the regulations was not “opened” for potential change. Therefore, hunters can legally hunt jackrabbit, cottontail, and tree squirrel using lead projectiles, but not ground squirrels in the same area. Part of the reasoning for this is that unlike nongame animals that are hunted and usually left in the field, game species must be retrieved and not wasted.

The Department and Commission are of the understanding that non-lead projectiles for rimfire are not readily available or manufactured at this time and that the only non-lead rimfire is in .22 caliber magnum, and not for the very popular .22 short, long, or long rifle." source: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/LeadInformation.pdf

From reading that, it sounds as though you should still be legal hunting rabbits (cottontail and jackrabbits) as well as tree squirrels in the condor zone with lead projectiles in a .22.

professionalcoyotehunter
10-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Rimfire firearms are legal for non-game animals (coyotes and ground squirrels primarily) and for sport hunting of upland-game animals [hares (jackrabbits), cottontail, and tree squirrel]. However, for non-game animals the Commission has prohibited use of lead projectiles in .22 rimfire or smaller firearms as part of this regulation change in condor range.

When Lead Free ammo became available for .22lr the law was implemented.

devilinblack
10-14-2010, 11:14 AM
When Lead Free ammo became available for .22lr the law was implemented.

Where exactly does it say that? Not on DFG's website, I'll tell you that.

professionalcoyotehunter
10-14-2010, 11:16 AM
I just wrote Craig Stowers for the update.

tony270
10-14-2010, 11:40 AM
I understand all of that, I was questioning PCH's statement that: At some point recently .22 lead free became more widely available, lack of availability is why DFG said they were not going to require lead free .22 ammo. Once the lead-free .22LR rounds started showing up on the shelves I started seeing people posting here that you now must use it and that the lead ammo would no longer be allowed. I've never been able to find this in writing from the DFG and I'm just trying to either prevent the spread of misinformation or find out where it states that they changed the regs.

source: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/LeadInformation.pdf

From reading that, it sounds as though you should still be legal hunting rabbits cottontail and jackrabbits) as well as tree squirrels in the condor zone with lead projectiles in a .22.

I was actually confirming that I believe .22 and smaller for game animals is still allowed. I had this discussion over on JHO and that's was the conclusion.

That’s all it says for this year. I can’t find a supplemental to the regulation for it.
Who knows, maybe next year? Anyway JHO has a CDFG dude that answers questions, you might want to poise that question to him.

professionalcoyotehunter
10-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Only centerfires may be used for Game Animals. I hope it never changes.

5shot
10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/condorzone.jpg?t=1287086450

http://dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/Ridley-TreeCondorPreservationAct.pdf

tony270
10-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Only centerfires may be used for Game Animals. I hope it never changes.

Who told you that? That only applies to big game animals, see (f) below. It is legal to hunt small game and non-game aniamls with rimfire, but not in Los Angeles County, see bottom.

Sub quote from the regulation;
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.asp#311

§311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game.

Only the following may be used to take resident small game:

(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun;

(b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall be loose in the shell.

(c) Muzzle-loading shotguns;

(d) Falconry;

(e) Bow and arrow (see Section 354 for archery equipment regulations);

(f) Air rifles firing pellets and powered by compressed air or gas (0.20 caliber minimum for taking wild turkey); and firearm rifles and pistols for taking rabbits and squirrels, except in Los Angeles County, in addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d) and (e) above;

Someone might want to know this too;

§311.7. Use of Rifles and Pistols in Los Angeles County.

In Los Angeles County the use of rifles or pistols is prohibited in the taking of rabbits.

mwunsch
10-14-2010, 1:16 PM

thank you for clearing up the first part, i appreciate it.

professionalcoyotehunter
10-14-2010, 1:41 PM
Who told you that? That only applies to big game animals, see (f) below. It is legal to hunt small game and non-game aniamls with rimfire, but not in Los Angeles County, see bottom.

Sub quote from the regulation;
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.asp#311

§311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game.

Only the following may be used to take resident small game:

(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun;

(b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall be loose in the shell.

(c) Muzzle-loading shotguns;

(d) Falconry;

(e) Bow and arrow (see Section 354 for archery equipment regulations);

(f) Air rifles firing pellets and powered by compressed air or gas (0.20 caliber minimum for taking wild turkey); and firearm rifles and pistols for taking rabbits and squirrels, except in Los Angeles County, in addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d) and (e) above;

Someone might want to know this too;

§311.7. Use of Rifles and Pistols in Los Angeles County.

In Los Angeles County the use of rifles or pistols is prohibited in the taking of rabbits.

Big game is what I was referring too! Also I am in LA county so it applies either way!

1911 pro
11-21-2010, 1:29 PM
if anyone has any general locations that they would like to share, that would be great