PDA

View Full Version : 34 day consignment wait ??

gazzavc
12-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Wandered into Turdners a few weeks ago, and saw a lovely Beretta in .45 in their display case for a very nice price. Decided to buy it , then realised they put a 34 day wait on it before I could DROS it. Went in there today to question them and was told that LA City requires a 34 day pawnbroker hold on firearms before they are released for sale.

Is this true or are they , as usual , full of sh*t ?

If someone can point me to the relevant city codes, it would really be appreciated. This was the Turdners in Reseda if that matters.

Cheers

Gazza

ke6guj
12-18-2008, 11:29 PM
AFAIK, cosignments normally have a 30 day hold, even out of LA, so its not out of the norm, well, maybe those 4 extra days.

FortCourageArmory
12-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Consignments in my city require a 30-day pawn hold as well. Just FYI. Don't kniw about those extra 4 days though.....

GunSlut
12-19-2008, 12:19 AM
A local LE agency in Orange County confirm a gun was stolen on the 32nd day. The gun had been DROSed on the 31st day. A paperwork night mare.

gazzavc
12-19-2008, 10:51 AM
So in other words Turdners are once again full of sh*t. It really annoys me that they come up with this nonsense out of thin air.

Anyone got the actual link to the city code?

cadurand
12-19-2008, 11:02 AM
If it's in the case then it should be for sale. If you really want the pistol, pay for it and come back to DROS when it you can.

I don't know why a store would prevent a customer from spending money. You make it sound like they are trying to screw you over for some reason.

If there is a local ordinance requiring a 34 day wait they're obligated to wait. What do you want them to do? Break the law just so you can buy the pistol?

ke6guj
12-19-2008, 11:37 AM
So in other words Turdners are once again full of sh*t. It really annoys me that they come up with this nonsense out of thin air.

Anyone got the actual link to the city code?

Here is some specific LA city legal info, http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalCaliforniaCityLosAngeles .

Here is the link to all of LA city's legal codes, http://amlegal.com/library/ca/losangeles.shtml .

gazzavc
12-19-2008, 5:08 PM
If it's in the case then it should be for sale. If you really want the pistol, pay for it and come back to DROS when it you can.

I don't know why a store would prevent a customer from spending money. You make it sound like they are trying to screw you over for some reason.

If there is a local ordinance requiring a 34 day wait they're obligated to wait. What do you want them to do? Break the law just so you can buy the pistol?

I did buy and pay in full for it. November 19th. They won't DROS it until the 25th of December, which they are conveniently closed.

It's just annoyed me that they come up with this rubbish.

Thanks for the links , i'll do a bit of digging

Glock22Fan
12-19-2008, 5:24 PM
IIRC, there is a hold that starts the day the firearm is taken into consignment (to check for stolen guns). Once that is over, it should just be the normal 10 days. Not sure, from memory, if the ten days can start before the check period is fully over. Perhaps this firearm only arrived there the day before or something?

Maybe I got this wrong and someone will say that they don't check the gun until it is definitely sold, but that isn't the way it worked with any of the guns I've bought on consignment.

Richie Rich
12-20-2008, 8:25 AM
There is a 30 day "pawn hold" placed on consignment firearms. Supposedly to allow time to check to see if the firearm is stolen. I believe it is a state law. Once the pawn hold ends, then your 10 day wait begins.

I had to wait 40 days to pick up a consignment gun that I purchased the day it hit the display case. IIRC, I paid for it in full, filled out all the paperwork and came back 41 days later to pick it up. I don't recall having to make a second trip to DROS it after the 30 day hold was up.

FortCourageArmory
12-20-2008, 8:29 AM
The way I was instructed by my local PD was that the firearm couldn't be "released" for 30 days. I could DROS it on day 21 and release it on day 31 (assuming that it didn't come back as stolen in that time period).

ZombieKiller
12-20-2008, 8:34 AM
A local LE agency in Orange County confirm a gun was stolen on the 32nd day. The gun had been DROSed on the 31st day. A paperwork night mare.

So are you talking about the firearm in question or another one?

gunsnrovers
12-20-2008, 8:45 AM
That's what you get for buying .45 that's not a 1911... ;)

It's a PITA and it's something Turners needs to be clear on up front. SoCal Guns in San Diego has (or did when I was last there) an "earliest DROS date" on their consignment tags for newly displayed guns.

Turners Reseda did that to me on a Webley I saw there earlier this year. Was getting ready to pay and I asked what my pick up date was. The date they gave me was over 30 days later. When I asked why, they explained it was just newly brought in. I canceled the deal. I should have been told that up front.

CSACANNONEER
12-20-2008, 8:48 AM
Well, the law may say 30 days and their policy may be 34 days. There is nothing illegal about having a store policy that goes further than the law. If you don't like it, don't buy from there. It's that simple.

As far as the "local LE agency in Orange County" not doing their job properly (in a timely fashion), why would their incompitence have anything to do with this.

gazzavc
12-21-2008, 11:44 PM
The deal is already done in my case. I went in to start the dros and was told no we can't start that until the 34 day hold is up. Its just another bunch of FUD from the *****hats at Turdners. What should be a 30 day wait is now a 45 day wait, and if you decide to cancel you loose 25% of your money as a "restocking" fee. Considering they aren't restocking anything, thats a bucnch of bollocks as well.

Saying that however the gun was a good price and probably worth waiting for.

G

bringiton
12-22-2008, 9:58 PM
i want to send a paypal...how do i do that......under what email addie must the payment be sent out...?

let me know...thanks.....

i know how this feels..."i was charged with $2000 court settlement after shooting a bull dog that went into my fence and property line trying to attack my kids..believe me that dog looks crazy and infect with rabbies..." but thats life...