PDA

View Full Version : AR magazines

coyotekiller56
12-18-2008, 5:53 PM
I finally picked up a S&W 15T and just love it, damn those things are fun.
Question on magazines.
10 round is the legal limit but I saw someone at a range with a larger capacity.
He said it was pre ban.
Could you guys bring me up to speed on this pre ban and current law?

Thanks
:D

sorensen440
12-18-2008, 5:55 PM
If you purchased them prior to the ban you can keep them
you can repair them as well

Leo's can buy them as well as armored car company's

tombinghamthegreat
12-18-2008, 5:55 PM
If you bought high capacity before the year 2000 it is legal to own, any high capacity mags bought after 2000 is illegal, that is if the state can prove it;)

coyotekiller56
12-18-2008, 5:59 PM
That clears that up, thanks.
Are magazines marked or carry a serial number so that I know when it was made?

Shotgun Man
12-18-2008, 6:00 PM
deleted (wrong thread)

Jicko
12-18-2008, 6:08 PM

IF your rifle got a pistol grip and a bullet button. EVEN if you own some "large capacity magazines (> 10 rounds)", you STILL cannot legally use them. Using them, you would have constructed an illegal AW. So, beware.

383green
12-18-2008, 6:12 PM

No, they're usually not marked in a way that indicates whether they were made before or after the CA magazine ban went into effect. When it was made isn't important, though. Sale and importation are generally restricted after the ban went into effect (with various exemptions), even if the magazines were manufactured before the ban. It's not like the earlier federal ban (which has since expired) that outlawed manufacture for the civilian market, but did not restrict sales of magazines made before the federal ban went into effect. Magazines made during the federal ban were specially marked, but those markings have no legal significance now.

Boots
12-18-2008, 6:15 PM
Even if I had some pre-ban mags, I'd still prefer to use the 10 rounder as to not draw any unwanted attention.. and save the hi-caps for when you're out of state.

coyotekiller56
12-18-2008, 6:49 PM
Good thoughts guys, will keep it to the 10 rounders.
My M&P has the bullet button so we are good there.
My son is on active duty and has larger mags for his personal AR but will tell him to keep em.
Thanks

U2BassAce
12-18-2008, 7:41 PM
Assuming the rifle has banned features.

The rifle would have to be pre ban and registered as an assualt weapon in California to use mags that have a capacity over 10 rounds. Magazines must be owned before the deadline listed above.

383green
12-18-2008, 9:07 PM
The rifle would have to be pre ban

I think we should avoid using the phrase "pre-ban" in the context of CA's AW laws. That phrase has been most commonly used to refer to the expired federal AW ban (i.e., the distinction between pre-ban vs. post-ban uppers). CA's AW laws have distinct differences from the expired federal law, and the way "pre-ban" is most commonly used doesn't apply directly to the CA laws. I've seen many folks here who had the CA vs. federal AW bans confused.

Just don't acquire any >10 round magazines illegally, and configure all of your rifles based on the excellent CA AW ID Flowchart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf), and all will be well.