PDA

View Full Version : Sighting AR rifles

SoCal50Lover
12-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Gang,

I just got an AR recently and have not fired it yet but I was wondering about sighting it in.

Let's go un-scoped first. With the site's on the rifle being several inches above the barrel how do you site it dead on accurate? Say at 100 yards.

Now with a scope even higher then the site's how do you get this site'd dead on again say 100 yrd?

This has always boggled me.

Thanks for any input.

djleisure
12-18-2008, 12:49 PM
I would start by barrel-sighting it first. Meaning, take the upper half off and rest it on something, so you can see a target about 100 yards out when you look through the barrel. Then look through your iron sights and make sure they line up with the same target (don't move the upper!) That is always a good starting point and you can do it in your home or apartment (aim at something out the window.)

mecam
12-18-2008, 1:12 PM
Start at 50yrds first then go to 100.

ocabj
12-18-2008, 1:13 PM
Assuming A2 style sights:

Set your rear sight to mechanical zero by setting it in the center of the rear sight housing (typically hash marked). Run your rear sight all the way down. Come up about 6 clicks. Set your front sight so the 'base' of the front sight post is level/flush with the front sight base.

Fire a shot on a target at 100 yards. If adjustable windage front sight base, adjust windage on the front sight first. If not, use rear sight to make windage adjustments. Adjust front sight base for elevation.

Keep adjusting until zeroed. If your front sight does not have windage adjustments, then you should mark your rear sight windage knob to indicate your new 'mechanical' zero after you get it zeroed windage-wise.

Remember, 1.25MOA adjustment per quarter turn on an A2 front sight base. If you have a National Match tapered front sight post, you have to make the front sight elevation adjustments in full revolution increments, which means 5MOA per turn.

Desert_AIP
12-18-2008, 1:17 PM
You generally sight in an AR in at 50 yards.
This gives a simultaneous 50 yard and 200 meter zero and the round is only ~1.6" high at 100 yards and ~1.6" low at 250 meters. (yards and meters used here in particular spots intentionally).
Beyond that you would be using the 300 meter plus sights.

IBZ (http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw)

1BigPea
12-18-2008, 2:43 PM
Check out this link...some helpful methods of zeroing.

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/zeroingmethods.msnw

SoCal50Lover
12-18-2008, 9:40 PM
Thanks guys. Very helpful.

supermario
12-19-2008, 9:37 PM
When you sight your Ar in at 50yds and its a 200 meter zero also, does it make a difference what grain ammo you use or the barrel length? Im just curious.

scargk
12-19-2008, 10:04 PM
When you sight your Ar in at 50yds and its a 200 meter zero also, does it make a difference what grain ammo you use or the barrel length? Im just curious.

I don't know if the distance is far enough to make a difference...but I would be interested in the correct answer as well.