PDA

View Full Version : M14 vs M14 Tanker purchase?

elcadiz
12-18-2008, 9:05 AM
Good Day: Close to pulling the trigger and ordering (and waiting) from probably LRB either an M14 or M14 Tanker (25). I'm a lefty and this will not be for competitive shooting but generally, blasting and fondling.

At my age I will need a scope pretty soon too. Understand the Tanker can have the scope mounts built in. And I'm a lefty which might prove problematic.

Besides the length, and as I'm fairly new to this dance (just purchased my first M1) was wondering your general thoughts of the M14 vs. M15 (25) Tanker?

cadiz

dfletcher
12-18-2008, 9:19 AM
It's not a Tanker, but I have a Scout and shoot left handed, use an ARMS scope mount, no problems. So whatever else, I'd say being left handed will cause no sighting or scope problems.

_Odin_
12-18-2008, 9:20 AM
I was planning on ordering an M14 Tanker from LRB soon also - although with a med-weight DMR contour barrel in 18" and some other upgrades.

Yeah, if you plan on getting a scope than I'd recommend getting your rifle built with the M25 receiver. You shouldn't have any probs with being a lefty - the safety switch is located on the trigger guard, so it's somewhat "ambidexterious" in that sense.

Anyone know what the lead time is for ordering a complete rifle from LRB is currently?

Also, does anyone have any experience with LRB's AR-15 lowers?? I'm thinking of throwing a few of those in with my order. $109 for a lower isn't bad...

Sumo99
12-18-2008, 9:57 AM
The only difference is the length of barrel. You can pretty much customize the gun to the way you want it. Both the 22" and 18" can be had with the integrated scope mount (M25 receiver). If you know you want to scope it, get the M25 receiver. It's cheaper than buying a standard receiver and a separate scope mount.

JWC6
12-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Good Day: Close to pulling the trigger and ordering (and waiting) from probably LRB either an M14 or M14 Tanker (25). I'm a lefty and this will not be for competitive shooting but generally, blasting and fondling.

At my age I will need a scope pretty soon too. Understand the Tanker can have the scope mounts built in. And I'm a lefty which might prove problematic.

Besides the length, and as I'm fairly new to this dance (just purchased my first M1) was wondering your general thoughts of the M14 vs. M15 (25) Tanker?

cadiz

I got the 18 inch criterion chrome lined M25 specifically for what you described above. i also have a 18 inch Springfield scout with a KAC mount. My friend who shoots lefty had no problem with either. Please note the Springfield M1a required a change to a USGI extractor to function appropriately

vf111
12-18-2008, 11:52 AM
LRB right now has M14 receivers in stock. They do not currently have M25 receivers in stock but I didn't ask what the lead time is either so it may not be that long. And if you plan to scope it, the M25 is the shizznit.

tlillard23
12-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Tanker? isn't that like a NASCAR appearance package on a car? Was there ever a real tanker model used by the military.

If you wan't a short barreled 308, build a 308 AR with collapse-able stock. otherwise get the standard M14/M1A. or if you must, go with the scout.

Sounds like you are buying a little short gun to put a scope on? go get a 10/22.

MT1
12-18-2008, 12:51 PM
LRB right now has M14 receivers in stock. They do not currently have M25 receivers in stock but I didn't ask what the lead time is either so it may not be that long. And if you plan to scope it, the M25 is the shizznit.

ouch - I just bought an SAI assuming that there was a 6 month + wait on LRB...called twice and couldn't get through.