PDA

View Full Version : Another noob with an AR Question <------

WRXKid
12-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Hey guys, I've been lurking around this site and have just recently muscled up the courage to register. So....Hi.

Ok to the point now. From reading as much as I did on AR15s, I noticed that the majority of everyone here prefers to build their own. Why is that? Is it because you can customize your rifle? or is it because it's a PITA to buy a completely built one? Also, I live in So.Cal (north OC) and there seems to be a lack of knowledgeable gun stores who carry AR lowers etc. what are good honest places to go to pick up a Lower or complete (I hate internet orders).

I ask all these questions because I am a certified gun fanatic and my new venture is to acquire an AR with all the unnecessary evil parts plus BB of course.

Thanks all for your replies.

Kiet

VAHEVAHE
12-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Hey guys, I've been lurking around this site and have just recently muscled up the courage to register. So....Hi.

Ok to the point now. From reading as much as I did on AR15s, I noticed that the majority of everyone here prefers to build their own. Why is that? Is it because you can customize your rifle? or is it because it's a PITA to buy a completely built one? Also, I live in So.Cal (north OC) and there seems to be a lack of knowledgeable gun stores who carry AR lowers etc. what are good honest places to go to pick up a Lower or complete (I hate internet orders).

I ask all these questions because I am a certified gun fanatic and my new venture is to acquire an AR with all the unnecessary evil parts plus BB of course.

Thanks all for your replies.

Kiet

People chose to Build their AR-15s rather then buy them simply because you can customize them exactly how you need them...If you had the option would you buy a already built house or design one exactly how you want it?

CleverName
12-18-2008, 12:53 AM
It's more fun when you build it yourself.

WRXKid
12-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Ok, that sounds good. I was worried there was some underlying, hush hush, bad juju reason why people are building their own and not buying them built. Thanks
K

thinkinblue613
12-18-2008, 12:56 AM
In some cases, its a lot cheaper to build than to buy a complete one. You also hit two birds with one stone when you build it right...

You not only get what you want but you save money.

gcvt
12-18-2008, 1:14 AM
...and you also immediately learn more about how the rifle works, and how to assemble/disassemble it right from the start.

P.S. Welcome to the forums...officially.

The Cable Guy
12-18-2008, 1:32 AM
There are plenty of stores in OC that have and sell AR lowers. I recommend J&J Armory, they're just off the 405 on Edinger. Not too far. I live in the LA county and I went down the OC to get my stuff.

tenpercentfirearms
12-18-2008, 4:23 AM
At this point in time you will find building your own will get you a complete rifle probably sooner than trying to buy one complete. Also they are cheaper when built than buying complete. It is just part of the complicated process of importing them through middle men.

heycorey
12-18-2008, 4:56 AM
If you lived outside of california and wanted a basic AR-15, it's easier and generally cheaper to buy a complete rifle. But because of CA-laws, it's less "stressful" for most dealers to sell OLL's and parts than complete rifles.

On the other hand, it's more interesting to build your own, since you learn more about your new rifle by assembling it yourself. And you get to agonize about which tacticool parts are the tacticoolest for your rifle.

cal_ar_shooter
12-18-2008, 5:24 AM
I would like to say welcome to Calguns.

+1 On building your own. I would recommend that you continue
to read up and ask questions. Lots of questions.

You will find that there are a lot of options and the more you
learn, the more important these options become.

A couple of examples would be, do you want 1/9 twist or 1/7.
223 or 5.56. Flat top or carry handle.

Welcome to the BRD.....:43:

sickboy774
12-18-2008, 7:07 AM
I like being able to build my own because I can buy the parts as my budget allows.

Heavy_Grinder
12-18-2008, 7:25 AM
Theres a sense of achievement once you finally slap that upper on that fully built lower that you completed.

As a calguns member, it's a must that you build at least one OLL.:D You can't even call yourself an official calguns member if you don't.

nuff' said

Barbarossa
12-18-2008, 8:09 AM
This site has ruined my bank account and my drag racing budget.

GWS Eaton gears!

aplinker
12-18-2008, 9:29 AM
My signature has OLL dealers and some useful info on how/what to build.

If you lived outside of california and wanted a basic AR-15, it's easier and generally cheaper to buy a complete rifle. But because of CA-laws, it's less "stressful" for most dealers to sell OLL's and parts than complete rifles.

On the other hand, it's more interesting to build your own, since you learn more about your new rifle by assembling it yourself. And you get to agonize about which tacticool parts are the tacticoolest for your rifle.

That's actually not true.

It's more expensive to buy complete out of state, too. It's the excise tax on firearms.

technique
12-18-2008, 9:33 AM
I have gotten some pretty cheap stuff out of state...$800 for complete Colt 16in Hbar w/ detachable carry handle. MPA 930s for $325.

hamster
12-18-2008, 9:54 AM
I built my own because I can buy the parts as my funds allow, and it's more fun that way. But I do find that because I buy the parts as I have the funds that I pay more for shipping, (because shipping isn't cheap!) So it's a trade off. I did the math, and my complete lower I just built is around $500 including shipping, taxes, and DROS. If you subtracted the shipping, or just included it once, it'd be closer to $450.

sorensen440
12-18-2008, 9:57 AM
dont be intimidated by "building" an AR
Its really more like assembling

1BigPea
12-18-2008, 9:59 AM
I bought my 1st AR (Stag) complete from Coldwar Shooters at a gun show back May or June. It was an impulse and I'm glad I did, i've learned a lot and its a great rifle.

I did opt to build my 2nd AR, CMMG Lower and CMMG 16" Middy MedCon upper. I will be sighting it in at Burro this weekend. As others have stated building it really is cheaper, or was cheaper than just buying it out right. Now with the prices of lowers and LPK's I don't know if it would be cheaper than ordering one and waiting for it.

Either way, welcome to the site, there's TONS of info on here. Watch our for Black Rifle Disease (BRD), it's extremely contagious but a lot of fun. ;)

ar15barrels
12-18-2008, 10:53 AM
From reading as much as I did on AR15s,
I noticed that the majority of everyone here prefers to build their own.
Why is that?

FET avoidance.

DedEye
12-18-2008, 10:56 AM
For the same reason computer enthusiasts prefer to build their own.

sorensen440
12-18-2008, 10:57 AM
For the same reason computer enthusiasts prefer to build their own.
lack of a girlfriend? :p

DedEye
12-18-2008, 11:03 AM
lack of a girlfriend? :p

Speaking of which, where's Shelly been lately :p?

sorensen440
12-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Speaking of which, where's Shelly been lately :p?

Shes been workin weird hours

WRXKid
12-18-2008, 2:20 PM
Nice responses guys! I will be stopping by J & J armory today. Oh man I can feel the BRD coming on. Unfortunately I think I see another hobby coming along.:32:

1BigPea
12-18-2008, 2:38 PM
Nice responses guys! I will be stopping by J & J armory today. Oh man I can feel the BRD coming on. Unfortunately I think I see another hobby coming along.:32:

Good deal, keep us updated! :D

Paratus et Vigilans
12-18-2008, 4:51 PM
Once upon a time, not so long ago, you more or less had to build your own, because no one was selling complete rifles built on OLL's. So, you had to buy a stripped OLL, build it up yourself with a stock, grip, trigger, take down pins, bolt catch, and some kind of legal mag release/mag lock system, or with a MMG and a standard mag release setup, and then you could put the complete upper of your choice on it and go your merry way. Now that things have settled down, there are vendors out there selling the whole shebang. Ten Percent, Cold War Shooters, etc. Build-your-own is now much more a matter of preference than necessity. :)

twistedtahoe
12-18-2008, 5:09 PM
Newbie here....i have been also looking into building my first AR as well. I have a friend in AZ that has an AR 15. He is getting a new upper for his rifle. If i purchase a CA complaint lower that fits his upper...
1. can i use his upper?
2. will it be CA legal?

Paratus et Vigilans
12-18-2008, 5:16 PM
Nood here....i have been also looking into building my first AR as well. I have a friend in AZ that has an AR 15. He is getting a new upper for his rifle. If i purchase a CA complaint lower that fits his upper...
1. can i use his upper?
2. will it be CA legal?

The upper coming here from AZ needs to have a barrel at least 16" long, and also (a) should have no "evil features" like a forward vertical grip or flash hider if you're going with a lower that uses a MMG or U-15 or some other non-pistol grip setup so you can run a standard mag release button, OR (b) you need to install some kind of mag lock device on the lower and then the upper and lower can have all the "evil features" you want, but the rifle still needs to have a barrel that's 16" or longer.

Read up on the AW flowchart yourself to be sure you don't make any mistakes, but that's the basic answer to your question.

aplinker
12-18-2008, 5:20 PM
Nood here....i have been also looking into building my first AR as well. I have a friend in AZ that has an AR 15. He is getting a new upper for his rifle. If i purchase a CA complaint lower that fits his upper...
1. can i use his upper?
2. will it be CA legal?

These guides will help:
http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15
http://www.riflegear.com/t-evilfeatures.aspx

ar15barrels
12-18-2008, 5:57 PM
Nood here....

woah tonto.
too much information.

twistedtahoe
12-18-2008, 6:52 PM
woah tonto.
too much information.

my bad,my bad, edited my post but, if you mean this definition than, yes thats me,

nood:
short for noodle or noodal. a tall, goofy, lanky, dude who does stupid **** that generally makes everyone else laugh.
"Nood! thats the 22nd ked stand tonight. Keep goin dude!"

karleric
12-18-2008, 9:07 PM
Welcome WRX Kid!

Good to see another fellow Subie owner join here! Keep us updated on how your build is going.