PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Richochet

slaaw
12-17-2008, 9:39 PM
A pal sent me this clip. Is this really possible? I may give up this hobby?

Scary Video Clip (http://members.cox.net/slaaw/50caliber11.wmv)

sorensen440
12-17-2008, 9:43 PM
fake

OutlawDon
Anything's possible. Definitely scary.

sorensen440
Anything's possible. Definitely scary.

not everything is possible
that for example cant happen
not unless your shooting a bounce ball

Wild Bill
12-17-2008, 9:44 PM
I bet that left a mark! :eek:

aplinker
12-17-2008, 10:04 PM
This is old.

It's not fake. It's why you NEVER shoot square to your metal or too close.

.50BMG can ricochet HARD.

csmintel
12-17-2008, 10:10 PM
it's not a fake 440. you just don't know what you typing about.

pat4wd
12-17-2008, 10:17 PM
I can atest to a bullet coming straight back at you.. I would not have thought that could be true either if it had not happened to me.. lucky for me the bullet had lost enough energy to only stick in my skin just enough to make me bleed

Shiloh13
12-17-2008, 10:19 PM
If you watch carefully, you can see the dust kick up where the projectile hits the ground in front of the shooter just before it hits him.

Gp100
12-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Thats why you cant shoot shotgun slugs at the indoor range.

offrdmania
12-17-2008, 10:38 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jonathan Doe
12-17-2008, 10:41 PM
It is totally possible. Once when I was teaching a cadet, she shot a steel plate at 25 yards. The bullet bounced back and hit her in the upper arm. It didn't penetrate, but left a nasty bruise in the arm. She was lucky that the flattened bullet didn't hit her side ways.

andrewj
12-17-2008, 10:45 PM
not everything is possible
that for example cant happen
not unless your shooting a bounce ball

You've never seen a bullet ricochet or skip across the desert floor before?

sorensen440
12-17-2008, 10:47 PM
You've never seen a bullet ricochet or skip across the desert floor before?

I have but not back in the exact direction it was fired from

Doheny
12-17-2008, 10:47 PM
It looks real to me and I've had richocets buzz by me before, but if you look at the website advertised at the beginning, it's a comany that sells video editing software. That it makes me wonder if it's real or not. http://avsmedia.com/

sorensen440
12-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Yes, that's why I'm asking. Lighten up, pal.

He was talkin to me
and I still think its a fake :p

andrewj
12-17-2008, 10:50 PM
I have but not back in the exact direction it was fired from

and hopefully none of us will ever experience it... :hide:

gcvt
12-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Thats why you cant shoot shotgun slugs at the indoor range.

You can shoot 00 and slugs at Jackson Arms ;)

Seesm
12-17-2008, 10:58 PM
I do think it is real... Whenever I hear of people shooting steel I think WHY THE HECK would you do that you already know HOW powerful your .50 cal is so why use metal that could potentially come back to hunt you down?

Steel can and does make the bullet boomerang back.... Lucky most of the time no right at you but towards you if it does NOT go through.

I have had it happen quite a few times, however with small caliber.

So for sure it CAN happen. Is this real?

Yeah and the guy is lucky to be alive IMHO.

OutlawDon
12-17-2008, 10:58 PM
And seriously, why the hell would someone make a fake video like this? As if .50 caliber weapons haven't gotten enough bad press already, now someone makes a fake video to show that it's also dangerous to the operator??

Ricochets can happen. It's not that impossible. We don't know how the bullet hit the steel exactly.

Maybe we can ask Mythbusters to try this myth out.

OutlawDon
12-17-2008, 11:04 PM
6-27-07: BOOM HEADSHOT! This is amazing. Willie, the father of Tina, who made the sandbag rests fires a .50BMG, an Armalite AR-50 and it ricochets off of a steel plate that it should have easily penetrated. The bullet comes straight back and hits him in the head. You can see it hit the dirt about 15 feet in front on him before it clobbers him. Luckily he was uninjured. He's a bit sore today, but otherwise fine. Lucky lucky bastard. He has been advised to buy lottery tickets while he still has so much luck. I don't know about the timing, but you can hear the hit on the steel plate. Time that till the impact on Willie's head... how fast is that 750 grain slug traveling? The range is 100 yards. Amazing.

http://www.madogre.com/Archives/June%202007.htm

JDoe
12-17-2008, 11:09 PM
I had a bullet come back at me once and felt and heard it zing past my head. :eek: That taught me not to shoot at concrete walls. :o

sorensen440
12-17-2008, 11:10 PM
I had a bullet come back at me once and felt and heard it zing past my head. :eek: That taught me not to shoot at concrete walls. :o

LOL im not even going to ask on that one :p

The Cable Guy
12-17-2008, 11:17 PM
It looks real to me and I've had richocets buzz by me before, but if you look at the website advertised at the beginning, it's a comany that sells video editing software. That it makes me wonder if it's real or not. http://avsmedia.com/

Thats probably what the uploader of the video used to compress or switch format of the original or another copy. watermark stamps are not unusual for free trial versions of video compressors and convertors.

BlackonBlack
12-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Yah. seen that. Pretty incredible

Doheny
12-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Thats probably what the uploader of the video used to compress or switch format of the original or another copy. watermark stamps are not unusual for free trial versions of video compressors and convertors.

I was wondering about that after I posted...

In that case, I vote for real.

ohsmily
12-17-2008, 11:26 PM
That one may not be fake. However, there is a group of guys who make fake "ricochet" videos. They have multiple "incidents." Amazingly, they all occur at the same place with similar outcomes (knocks someone's hat off, etc).

Capt. Speirs
12-17-2008, 11:38 PM
I caught a ricochet in the chest and lived to tell about it. 7.62 AP off of a flood control gate about 175 yards away. I thought something hit me, but went into denial and then saw the blood, lots of blood, almost went into shock. It was a piece of shrapnel from the bullet about the size of your little finger's nail. Broke a rib and puncture my left lung, Doc said, had it not hit my rib first it would have been much worse.

fusionstar
12-17-2008, 11:40 PM
real.
Have had it happen but didn't hit me. Came out of a SKS and back at me.. Also happens alot with birdshot at trees.

This guy is shooting at a 90 degree steel target that's perfectly perpendicular to him at a 20 degree angle. If the bullet is not destroyed on impact, it will bounce back directly vertical to your position. But how far depends on the bullet itself. This guy just got unlucky.

rayra
12-17-2008, 11:40 PM
And seriously, why the hell would someone make a fake video like this? As if .50 caliber weapons haven't gotten enough bad press already, now someone makes a fake video to show that it's also dangerous to the operator??

Ricochets can happen. It's not that impossible. We don't know how the bullet hit the steel exactly.

Maybe we can ask Mythbusters to try this myth out.

wtf. Mythbusters is your standard of proof?? You probably think fire can't melt steel.

It's completely possible. And can be deadly. And you absolutely should wear ballistic eye protection at all times.
I've been hit in the lense and had to pluck a mini-ninja-star-like bit of bullet jacket metal out of my leather belt, from shooting steel targets during IPSC drills.

sb_pete
12-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Never had anything come right back at me like that, but I did get hit in the shoulder by a ricochet that I think was from a 9mm last winter at the glass factory. Luckily it was cold and I was wearing a few layers including a sweatshirt and a snowboarding jacket. Felt about like as if somebody had thrown the bullet at me. Didn't hurt, just let you know it had happened. There were alot of people up there that day and I was walking from one side to the other behind the firing line. Kind of scary, but it is rare.

:chris:One more reason to always wear eye protection :chris:

OutlawDon
12-17-2008, 11:48 PM
wtf. Mythbusters is your standard of proof?? You probably think fire can't melt steel.

It was a joke. Lighten up. Read what I said. I said it's NOT that impossible.

MT1
12-17-2008, 11:51 PM
I have had them zing back too close for comfort...wear your eye protection.

andrewj
12-17-2008, 11:56 PM
It was a joke. Lighten up. Read what I said. I said it's NOT that impossible.

Don't dwell on it. Rayra like bustin' people's chops.

5hundo
12-18-2008, 12:37 AM
My grandfather caught a ricochet in the chest once. Luckily, it was from a .32 Auto, so it hurt like hell but he lived...

The noise of the returning bullet is unmistakeable. I'm pretty sure that vid is real...

StraightShooter
12-18-2008, 1:12 AM
At the last Pistol match i went to there was an ar500 target that had been cratered by a high powered rifle. Someone shot it and the bullet hit that crater and came right back. I was standing off to the side and watched the bullet fly right past his head anf past the people standin behind him. It had to have been going at least 450 fps and if it would have hit someone it could have been potentially fatal.

aplinker
12-18-2008, 1:35 AM
At the last Pistol match i went to there was an ar500 target that had been cratered by a high powered rifle. Someone shot it and the bullet hit that crater and came right back. I was standing off to the side and watched the bullet fly right past his head anf past the people standin behind him. It had to have been going at least 450 fps and if it would have hit someone it could have been potentially fatal.

yeah, that's another problem... even if you don't angle the plates straight back, the craters can make them bounce.

This is why metal should be far enough away that energy is dissipated and the likelihood is diminished.

People get peppered all the time at the metal plates pistol line at Angeles.

SFFRONTMAN
12-18-2008, 2:01 AM
I got hit from a 44 mag richocet from about 15 yards, left a good sized bruise on my stomach, and no I wasnt the one shooting it ;).

pat4wd
12-18-2008, 6:19 AM
the one that got me was a straight back return.. So you guys who think it is fake that is too bad:D It can indeed happen..

railroader
12-18-2008, 7:43 AM
I have gotten hit numerous time shooting steel plates with handguns. One time I shot a heavy steel plate with steel core 7.62x54 at about 100 yards. The bullet hit the plate and I could hear it as it came screaming back past my head. Never again. Mark

dgc357
12-18-2008, 8:51 AM
the one that got me was a straight back return.. So you guys who think it is fake that is too bad:D It can indeed happen..

I got hit by a 230 grain 45 ACP bullet at around 20 yrds. Didn't know what happened at first then I looked down and saw the little sucker on the ground in front of me. :cool:

Curtis
12-18-2008, 9:27 AM
It can and does happen. This is a .45 that hit a sink at 20 yards and then me. I was standing behind my BIL who was shooting. It took out an artery and paralyzed my arm and leg for a short time.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp243/eng417/x-ray1.jpg?t=1229621187

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp243/eng417/x-ray2.jpg?t=1229621224

StraightShooter
12-18-2008, 9:31 AM
What the heck are all those springs inside of you?

Barbarossa
12-18-2008, 9:33 AM

Extra buffer springs for when the SHTF. :D

Curtis
12-18-2008, 10:18 AM

The tubes for the vent. I was in a coma when these were taken. They aren't there any more, but the bullet still is.

nrakid88
12-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Extra buffer springs for when the SHTF. :D

Wow, I never trhought of storing springs in my trachea, great idea!

Capt. Speirs
12-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Is that gonna screw up you getting on a plane? Maybe you should get a doctors note.

Guns R Tools
12-18-2008, 1:23 PM
Could it be just the jacket that peeled off projectile and bounced back?

I think it is real.

ukdkbr
12-18-2008, 4:37 PM
You can shoot 00 and slugs at Jackson Arms ;)

I shoot slugs at Iron Sights too ...

NRAhighpowershooter
12-18-2008, 5:00 PM
Back then that indoor Vacaville range was new.. back in '85 I was shooting my 357 at their 25yd range and I was shooting handloaded 125gr JHP's(1250fps) and hade on bullet fragment at the backstop and a big piece of the copper jacket came straight back and stuck me in the forehead.... my female friend that wss there with me pulled it out of me.. bled real good for a short time.. kinda freaked out the staf when it happened as the rnage had only been opened for about 2 weeks at the time.....

762cavalier
12-18-2008, 5:27 PM
I can attest that bullets do ricochet straight back also. I can also attest that a .357 WILL NOT crack an engine block. Shot the engine block and it spit the bullet straight back at me and hit me in the thigh.:eek: Luckily all it did was leave a bruise and scare the crap out of me. So I proceeded to take a covered position and shot the engine block with a 30-06. That did the trick.:D

Seesm
12-18-2008, 8:15 PM
Back then that indoor Vacaville range was new.. back in '85 I was shooting my 357 at their 25yd range and I was shooting handloaded 125gr JHP's(1250fps) and hade on bullet fragment at the backstop and a big piece of the copper jacket came straight back and stuck me in the forehead.... my female friend that was there with me pulled it out of me.. bled real good for a short time.. kinda freaked out the staff when it happened as the range had only been opened for about 2 weeks at the time.....

That is crazy your very lucky to be ok then the next guy who is shooting a motor block.. WHY? Your asking for trouble shooting super hard stuff... I am careful when I shoot to NOT hit hard stuff.... But that is just me.

Deamer
12-18-2008, 9:24 PM
They interviewed the guy in the video on one of those "caught on tape" TV shows a couple months ago.

anthonyca
12-18-2008, 10:01 PM
I can attest that bullets do ricochet straight back also. I can also attest that a .357 WILL NOT crack an engine block. Shot the engine block and it spit the bullet straight back at me and hit me in the thigh.:eek: Luckily all it did was leave a bruise and scare the crap out of me. So I proceeded to take a covered position and shot the engine block with a 30-06. That did the trick.:D

That's the spirit. Never give up. When all else fails get a bigger gun.

fairfaxjim
12-18-2008, 10:05 PM

Engine blocks spit back a lot of bullets. There is one out in the desert where I shoot. We finally just made a rule that it is off limits after too many bullets came back at us. Even .22lr on steel too close is dangerous. Also why GOOD eye protection is important.

porkchop
12-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Wow sounds like there are enough scary experiences here to remind everyone to WEAR EYE PROTECTION! That said, yes bullet ricochet from straight on is completely possible, and I have experienced splash back from the bullet jackets many times. So please, if you're going to shoot metal, make sure it is a safe distance away, freak accidents can happen.