PDA

View Full Version : Varmint Hunting

Brian_L
12-17-2008, 7:36 PM
I'm looking for a nice place to do some varmint shooting, primarily anywhere between one and four hours from the Bay Area.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

BL

popndrop
12-18-2008, 8:04 AM
I used to shoot a lot of squirrels on Ft Hunter Leggit. I've had days where we shot hundreds. Its been a few years but if I was in that area thats where i'd go.

Seesm
12-18-2008, 7:50 PM
Did you eat any? Why shoot 100's of squirrells for nothing...? I hear they are good and I would try em for sure... Just curious...

ghideon
12-18-2008, 9:20 PM
Did you eat any? Why shoot 100's of squirrells for nothing...? I hear they are good and I would try em for sure... Just curious...

Depends on the squirrel type. Tree squirrels, ok. Ground squirrels, NO. The ground squirrels have been known to carry the plague in some cases. Wouldn't even touch the ground squirrels.

popndrop
12-19-2008, 5:24 PM
Depends on the squirrel type. Tree squirrels, ok. Ground squirrels, NO. The ground squirrels have been known to carry the plague in some cases. Wouldn't even touch the ground squirrels.

Thats correct - these were Grounders - I think its probably a felony to shoot that many trees squirrels :) but the ground runners are varmint - not for eating, just for shooting. Plus, when you shoot them with a .308 there isn't much left to eat of them.
I have read that the ground squirrel population is one of the largest carrier of the Plague, so I try not to touch them either.
(we rate the trophy's by the size of their nuts - all I know is that if I was built in those proportions, I don't know when I'd find time to eat)

Seesm
12-20-2008, 12:20 AM
The greys are tree squirrels right? I was sleeping one saturday and I heard a shot and my lady came in and was all excited....

The greys on our land throw acorns onto the roof and it bugs her.. She pulled out a BSA 22cal pellet gun and shot the little guy right between the eye's kind funny... He didn't make it back home... Shoot who knew we could ate him?

ChrisO
12-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Grey squirrel is excellent!!! or tree I mean. ground squirrel I don't even like to touch its like picking up a rat...

Brian_L
12-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Well I'm not so much interested in eating them as I am in finding a decent place to shoot.

Jamez
12-21-2008, 4:23 PM
ok dumb question i know.
Quick and easy way to id a grey from a tree? (just started varmit hunting)
Maybe scare them and shoot the ones that run up the tree? :)

MILLITIAof1
12-22-2008, 1:10 AM
Any other recomendations besides Ft Ligget???

HK93
12-22-2008, 2:32 AM
im lookin for a good location near the sacramento area, any ideas?

Jamez
12-22-2008, 4:02 PM
im lookin for a good location near the sacramento area, any ideas?

I went to Spenceville a couple weeks ago but didn't see a dang thing, not a single fuzzy critter! I'd check the other places but they only allow shotgun. No rifles so i'll just keep trying spenceville.

HK93
12-22-2008, 6:08 PM
ya, i go up to Spenceville almost twice a week, and i hardly ever see a thing!

Brian_L
12-23-2008, 8:42 AM
I went to Spenceville a couple weeks ago but didn't see a dang thing, not a single fuzzy critter! I'd check the other places but they only allow shotgun. No rifles so i'll just keep trying spenceville.

Probably just the weather and time of year. Wait until summer and try again.

Seesm
12-23-2008, 10:35 PM
They all got shot up in Spenceville... :)

Again what are you hunting with maybe my place... :)

giv1tatry
12-24-2008, 12:07 AM
greys are good eats. shooting hundreds of ground squirrels for fun? thats messed up, thats coming from a hunter. we once went camping, and shared a common restroom. location; about 50 yards from the site, and 5 inches under freshly packed dirt. noticed the next time camping, the area was all dug up, disease carrying, i think i know why, thoroughly cooked, i seen les shroud(survivor man) eat one, after explaining how they carried plagues, and mostlikely still do. grey squirrel, look grey/blue, with a big tail, and bolt off at first glance of humans. also large compared to to their ground cousins.

HK93
12-24-2008, 7:19 AM
They all got shot up in Spenceville... :)

Again what are you hunting with maybe my place... :)

17HMR and/or shottie.