PDA

View Full Version : Deleware Open Carrier shoots Robbery Suspect in Self Defense

Liberty1
12-17-2008, 7:25 PM
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/18784.html

One of Open Carry.org's Own defends himself from an attempted Robbery. It is unknown if the robber noticed "Dave in Deleware's" openly carried sidearm.

From October 25th...

This happened to Dave_in_Delaware last night...

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081125/NEWS/81125036&s=d

An armed robber who tried to stick up a New Castle area man was shot himself when his would-be victim pulled out his own gun and fired at him.

The gunshot victim later reported to police that he was shot during a robbery that went awry.

New Castle County police spokesman Cpl. Trinidad Navarro said the holdup happened at 5:45 p.m. Monday in the first block of Chesterfield Drive in Garfield Park.

A 37-year-old man told officers that he was taking items out of his car when two men walked up to him and stuck an object in his side and attempted to rob him.

The victim said he thought the assailants were going to shoot him, so he pulled out his own 9 mm handgun and fired one round at the suspects.

Navarro said the man was not sure if he hit either of the assailants, although he did hear a loud moaning sound after he fired the shot.

The two would-be robbers ran off in the direction of Bizarre Drive.

While officers were on their way to the first call about the robbery, a second call came in about an 18-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his upper chest.

The shooting victim told the officers he was shot by a group of men who tried to rob him on Briarcliff Drive.

He was admitted to Christiana Hospital in stable condition.

Officers investigating the first case on Chesterfield Road recovered the gun from the victim and are holding it as evidence.

The shooting and attempted robbery remain under investigation.

No charges have been filed pending the outcome of the investigation.

alex00
12-17-2008, 7:33 PM
HAHA, "shooting victim". I hate it when the news reports an injured badguy as a "victim".

csmintel
12-17-2008, 7:34 PM
i hope they won't charge the man who protected himself.

Dark&Good
12-17-2008, 9:56 PM
"The shooting victim told the officers he was shot by a group of men who tried to rob him on Briarcliff Drive."

Is there a way to prove that the wound is from the OC guy's bullet? I hope so... Then the "shooting victim" would be convicted more severely for lying to the cops in attempt to escape justice.

BenjaminCA
12-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I love this story. Self defense, you cant argue with the outcome, the righteous citizen prevailed whereas the perp got stung. This is a feel good story, and a great example of how things should be. I am looking forward to hearing a story like this someday... "Young mother of 3 shoots a would be rapist after the assailant broke into her home around midnight, the police were still 15 mins away when she called 911 about a disturbance outside her house. As the man lunged for her she quickly unloaded the entire weapon on the intruder, killing him in a matter of seconds due to head and chest wounds. The children were in the bathroom, the oldest of the three (13) was armed with a shotgun. The assailant had a confirmed past of domestic disturbance and drug abuse, prior convictions also include the rape of a college student. No charges will be filed against the mother" .... :43: "In other news, citizens around the world embrace firearms for protection, crime down 5% across the nation in 1 week" "NRA shuts down for lack of things to do as all weapon bans reversed"... "New verse in the bible explains the right to bear arms" ".223 ammo going for 10$ per 100 rounds." I guess I am stretching this a bit...

Jpach
12-17-2008, 10:13 PM
So the guys tried robbing a guy who was carrying OPENLY? Seems kind of odd to do that to an armed guy. I wonder how he was able to draw his OCd pistol, put in a loaded mag, rack the slide and get a round off without the two bad guys thinking to GTFOuta there or to start whoopin him. Something doesnt seem right.

E Pluribus Unum
12-17-2008, 10:23 PM
So the guys tried robbing a guy who was carrying OPENLY? Seems kind of odd to do that to an armed guy. I wonder how he was able to draw his OCd pistol, put in a loaded mag, rack the slide and get a round off without the two bad guys thinking to GTFOuta there or to start whoopin him. Something doesnt seem right.

California has a prohibition on loaded open carry. Nothing says that the state in question does too.

alex00
12-17-2008, 10:23 PM
I believe Delaware allows loaded open carry.

Jpach
12-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Bastards. I guess I assumed that it was unloaded OC because its all I have ever known growing up in this state :(

Theseus
12-17-2008, 10:29 PM
As a member of opencarry.org we did get this information from the man.

He believs that the reason the BG did not see his gun was that the door to his car was blocking it from view.

And Delaware does allow loaded OC.

JDoe
12-17-2008, 10:49 PM
...I am looking forward to hearing a story like this someday... "Young mother of 3 shoots a would be rapist after the assailant broke into her home around midnight, the police were still 15 mins away when she called 911 about a disturbance outside her house. As the man lunged for her she quickly unloaded the entire weapon on the intruder, killing him in a matter of seconds due to head and chest wounds...

It isn't pretty but you asked for something like your story above. WARNING: this 911 call may be disturbing for some people, you will hear a woman in distress, you will hear her shooting her attacker and you will hear her reaction to shooting another human being.

kTAADW9wNvk

BenjaminCA
12-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Chilling.. my heart was pumping pretty hard. I wish people who hate guns would listen to things like this. Why not use a segment like this for a pro gun commercial?

Dark&Good
12-17-2008, 11:42 PM
No charges will be filed against the mother" ...

When this happens, they don't add such lines to the end of the story :D
They say: "The brave mother saved her family - and the authorities (from lots of legislative/administrative work)."

"New verse in the bible explains the right to bear arms" - :rofl2:

Mulay El Raisuli
12-18-2008, 6:30 AM
I love this story. Self defense, you cant argue with the outcome, the righteous citizen prevailed whereas the perp got stung. This is a feel good story, and a great example of how things should be. I am looking forward to hearing a story like this someday... "Young mother of 3 shoots a would be rapist after the assailant broke into her home around midnight, the police were still 15 mins away when she called 911 about a disturbance outside her house. As the man lunged for her she quickly unloaded the entire weapon on the intruder, killing him in a matter of seconds due to head and chest wounds. The children were in the bathroom, the oldest of the three (13) was armed with a shotgun. The assailant had a confirmed past of domestic disturbance and drug abuse, prior convictions also include the rape of a college student. No charges will be filed against the mother" .... :43: "In other news, citizens around the world embrace firearms for protection, crime down 5% across the nation in 1 week" "NRA shuts down for lack of things to do as all weapon bans reversed"... "New verse in the bible explains the right to bear arms" ".223 ammo going for 10$ per 100 rounds." I guess I am stretching this a bit...

Nothing wrong with dreaming!

I'm not Bible scholar, but, isn't it in Luke that we see "When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his good are at peace"?

The Raisuli

CowboyShooter
12-18-2008, 9:12 AM
I believe Delaware allows loaded open carry.

+1000

Delaware is part of "Free America"

I have to say that the guy that defended himself showed a lot of restraint in just popping off one round.
Two bad guys...
you think they are going to shoot you?
Why do you have all of those shiny bullets left inside your gun sir?
They are supposed to be in the bad guys.

:D

Liberty1
12-18-2008, 9:35 AM
+1000

Delaware is part of "Free America"

I have to say that the guy that defended himself showed a lot of restraint in just popping off one round.
Two bad guys...
you think they are going to shoot you?
Why do you have all of those shiny bullets left inside your gun sir?
They are supposed to be in the bad guys.

:D

This is why everyone should always practice double taps when target shooting at close range. Make it a muscle memory reaction. My $0.02.

added: To be clear, that is two rounds into the same assailant, move on to the next threat and reassess...

garandguy10
12-18-2008, 6:22 PM
Deleware could not be too good,Biden is one of their senators.