PDA

View Full Version : AP Ammo Question...

nrakid88
12-17-2008, 6:05 PM
Sorry for being a nube but I remember reading we can't have armor piercing ammo, even though i want it, and now I have a friend telling me its legal to buy or manufacture. I am pretty mixed up and wanna get some black tip .30-06 just for fun to mess up some steel plates, so can I do this or is it just a dream?

AaronHorrocks
12-17-2008, 6:12 PM
AP rifle ammo is fine.

AP pistol ammo is regulated on the Federal and state level.

Due to many people making AK pistols, 7.62x39 is now considered a pistol round. :rolleyes:

M. Sage
12-17-2008, 6:14 PM
Sorry for being a nube ...

It's spelled "noob", "n00b" (with zeros), or newb. What kind of noob spells that wrong? :p

On to your question: I'm 90% sure that the AP ban in CA only applies to handgun ammo, just like the Federal ban. Regular .30-06 FMJ can do some pretty nasty things to thinner plates. I'm fairly sure that it'll punch holes in 1/4" mild steel without too much problem.

CSACANNONEER
12-17-2008, 7:26 PM
AP rifle ammo is fine.

AP pistol ammo is regulated on the Federal and state level.

Due to many people making AK pistols, 7.62x39 is now considered a pistol round. :rolleyes:

It had NOTHING to do with homebuilds! It had to do with commecialy offered guns.

Meplat
12-17-2008, 8:09 PM
Don't spread it around but 7.62X25 military ball ammo (Mauser, Luger, and Tokorev, pistols) will defeat most body armor.

It's spelled "noob", "n00b" (with zeros), or newb. What kind of noob spells that wrong? :p

On to your question: I'm 90% sure that the AP ban in CA only applies to handgun ammo, just like the Federal ban. Regular .30-06 FMJ can do some pretty nasty things to thinner plates. I'm fairly sure that it'll punch holes in 1/4" mild steel without too much problem.

M. Sage
12-17-2008, 8:31 PM
Don't spread it around but 7.62X25 military ball ammo (Mauser, Luger, and Tokorev, pistols) will defeat most body armor.

Why do you think I have a CZ-52? ;) I love the steel-jacketed Romanian FMJ for it, too.

AP is basically defined as having a core of brass, tungsten or steel, or mostly of one of those. They don't even look at armor-penetrating ability. :chris:

nrakid88
12-17-2008, 8:43 PM
SWEET!!! I am so stoked. I am going to stock up on a little and then next time I get a chance to shoot at an abandoned car I will see How much damage she'll do to the engine block and what not. I pray someone leaves a car in the desert for my next trip

domokun
12-18-2008, 12:43 AM
SWEET!!! I am so stoked. I am going to stock up on a little and then next time I get a chance to shoot at an abandoned car I will see How much damage she'll do to the engine block and what not. I pray someone leaves a car in the desert for my next trip

Be safe when you do that. Never know if that round will ricochet back in your general direction if it doesn't punch through and hit you or someone around you.

nick
12-18-2008, 1:17 AM

Quiet, you! Are you trying to create the new kind of evil weapons? :p

That being said, my CZ-52 had an unfortunate encouter with a steel target, which left the said target ruined, and the range people, who shall not be named, mighty pissed. They decided not to make me pay for the target if I let them shoot the CZ-52 in question, in order to test it, of course. They tested it, alright (took a box of 40 Czech surplus rounds to properly test it) and concluded that it couldn't have possibly put those nasty holes in the steel target, and so the holes must've been there prior to me renting it :D

AaronHorrocks
12-18-2008, 9:43 AM
It had NOTHING to do with homebuilds! It had to do with commecialy offered guns.

I didn't say anything about homebuilds.

M. Sage
12-18-2008, 1:44 PM
Be safe when you do that. Never know if that round will ricochet back in your general direction if it doesn't punch through and hit you or someone around you.

The whole round won't come back, but the jacket and/or lead from behind the penetrator will sometimes.

Then again, I've seen evidence of normal ball doing this going through sheet metal.