PDA

View Full Version : CCW/LOC on the job in trucking industry post Nordyke/Heller?

Window_Seat
12-17-2008, 4:51 PM
As some of you here know, I have been following the Nordyke discussions and have even planned on going to the 9th Circuit hearing on 1/15.

Many of the discussions are very interesting, and I am cautiously optimistic about what is in the future as far as some of our rights being given back to us.

That said, as a driver for an LTL trucking organization in CA traveling only in CA, I am wondering if a positive Nordyke ruling will open the door to lawsuits being filed against companies that prohibit CCWing on the job in the trucking industry? Now I'm not trying to imply that I believe Nordyke will be a magic wand for getting back our 2A rights instantly and throwing out all 40,000 gun laws here in PRK, I'm just asking if this will open such a door for this kind of issue.

Likely, all trucking companies that are reputable have long standing policies that completely prohibit their drivers from having firearms on the job, in the truck, etc. If they could, these companies would not allow their drivers to have firearms period. I would like to see that changed to allow LOC/CCW, but that wouldn't happen overnight & it would be as extremely unpopular with company management as... I can't think of any comparison...

If this were to go to court, and drivers were ultimately allowed to CCW/LOC on the job, it would have to be enforced because companies' management would do everything they could to rebel against it by implementing illegal policies & terminating drivers for "other reasons". It's sort of like the "Motor Carrier Employee Whistleblower Act". If you use it, you can bet that it's a matter of when you're out, not if. :eek:

Anyone?

Erik; looking ahead.

bwiese
12-17-2008, 4:59 PM
Probably won't happen.

Perceived risk by conservative mgmt, etc., etc.

Many individual rights are reshaped in the employment context. It's perfectly legal walking down the street with a big "F-U" T-shirt, but try wearing one to the office, they can restrict your freedom of speech when it's on their dime.

Bottom line: you don't have a right to work there. Employer can ban you from doing anything he doesn't want you to do - drive over 55, pick your nose, or even smoke on the job.

If you're unhappy, you have a right to leave and not work for them.

bulgron
12-17-2008, 5:07 PM
Really. Post Nordyke, and with the economy in the dumps and so lots of people out of work, the right answer is to start our own companies with our own definition of what is and is not allowed on the job w.r.t. weapons.