PDA

View Full Version : Colt AR Upper?

mlin
12-17-2008, 4:12 PM
I am new to black rifle world. Is there anyone have experience with Colt upper? Is it worth to buy a Colt upper at around $1000-1100? What's the good alternatives? I heard CMMG is good. What about DPMS or Bushmaster? Thanks.

NRAhighpowershooter
12-17-2008, 4:21 PM
In MY opinion... you're simply buying the Colt name for that price......

Jeffy
12-17-2008, 4:45 PM
Good alternative; LMT, Sabre Defence, Bravo Co. Mfg, etc...

LMT current makes the MK18 Mod 0 Navy

Sabre Defence currently holds the M16A4 contract.

PIRATE14
12-17-2008, 4:54 PM
Is a COLT upper worth a 1000 bucks....depends, got a COLT LWR....

COLT is the STD that all others are judged by....

titan
12-17-2008, 5:25 PM
you can find 6920 uppers for 800-950, new bushys run 700

veeklog
12-17-2008, 6:24 PM
I have a 6920 upper mounted on my registered Eagle Arms/Armalite lower, and besides my LWRC M6A2 upper, it is my favorite AR.

Pryde
12-17-2008, 6:55 PM
Good alternative; LMT, Sabre Defence, Bravo Co. Mfg, etc...

LMT current makes the MK18 Mod 0 Navy

Sabre Defence currently holds the M16A4 contract.

Actually I think that LMT used to hold the contract to make only uppers for the Mk18. According to the big ARFCOM discussion thread, LMTs are individual unit purchased, but most of the 10.5" military uppers that are purchased by DoD are Colt.

Sabre Defence only holds a portion of the A4 contract, they are also being built by Colt and FN.

You are not paying extra for the name, you are paying extra for the QC, all the extra steps Colt uses to check its guns and accountability in the manufacturing process isn't cheap. Lesser gun makers will just take parts off the line, put em together into rifle and ship them off.

I really like Bravo Co and Sabre's stuff but in all honesty, about the only thing that is truly equal to a Colt is a FN. I tend to trust manufacturers that have been building complete full-auto rated guns for decades.

odysseus
12-17-2008, 9:25 PM
Another alternative you might like, Noveske.

hk-p2000
12-17-2008, 9:29 PM
what about a complete bushy. bushmaster upper any good. or soo soo.

titan
12-17-2008, 10:02 PM
what about a complete bushy. bushmaster upper any good. or soo soo.

Mine have never let me down, but neither have my colts. I just picked up a couple bushy complete m4 uppers, very impressed with fit and finish and I know they work well. As the other poster stated Colt MP checks every barrel, bolt. Bushy does this but it's a few in the batch. Some have stated the BC gas key in not staked well enough, I have never had a problem. I don't think you will go wrong with either. If resale is important Colt is king. NEW Bushy is $715 delievered new Colt 6920 is $950, ouch, that what the last one cost but that what the market is doing. Your choice.

aplinker
12-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Mine have never let me down, but neither have my colts. I just picked up a couple bushy complete m4 uppers, very impressed with fit and finish and I know they work well. As the other poster stated Colt MP checks every barrel, bolt. Bushy does this but it's a few in the batch. Some have stated the BC gas key in not staked well enough, I have never had a problem. I don't think you will go wrong with either. If resale is important Colt is king. NEW Bushy is $715 delievered new Colt 6920 is $950, ouch, that what the last one cost but that what the market is doing. Your choice.

For the money there's better than Bushmaster. They lack more than just those two "issues."

Whether a $1K for a Colt is worth it is up to you.

Personally, for that money, I'd buy Noveske.