PDA

View Full Version : City Council to Vote on Gun Control Laws

Ding126
12-17-2008, 3:26 PM
KTLA News

December 17, 2008

LOS ANGELES -- The City Council is expected to approve seven laws aimed at stifling gang activity.

The proposed laws were introduced by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and City Council members six months ago, and are part of a partnership between local and federal law enforcement agencies to crack down on gang- and gun-related violence in Los Angeles.

If approved, the ordinances will:
-- allow landlords to evict tenants who illegally posses firearms on the property or within 1,000 feet of the property;
-- ban the sale of .50 caliber ammunition and cartridges;
-- require ammunition vendors to be licensed;
-- allow the seizure of vehicles used by gang members while committing a crime;
-- require face-to-face transactions and record-keeping for all ammunition sales;
-- ban secret compartments in vehicles to hide firearms; and
-- require gun dealers to conduct inventories and report the inventories to the Los Angeles Police Department.

The mayor and council members believe the package of city laws is a good step forward in fighting illegal gang activity. The laws are also supported by LAPD Chief William Bratton.

|

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cato
12-17-2008, 3:56 PM
Makes sense. Antonia Vivalaracia wants to push out the last of the upright citizens and gun stores so that he and his homies can rule the night (and day for that matter). What gang is he affliated with again? Is it the Lott Stoners 13?

paladin4415
12-17-2008, 4:12 PM
There really is no end to the stupid is there?

Arkalius
12-17-2008, 4:29 PM
My reaction to the laws...

-- allow landlords to evict tenants who illegally posses firearms on the property or within 1,000 feet of the property;

This seems fine... it covers illegal posession only... though it could become a problem if landlords have a hard time figuring out what illegal means.

This one is obviously stupid.

Kind of ambiguous, but it seems unlikely to help solve or prevent crimes and is just more work for the vendors. Lack of info on the licesing process and requirements here make it hard to really examine

Sure, sounds great, has nothing to do with guns anyway

-- require face-to-face transactions and record-keeping for all ammunition sales;

Banning of internet sales of ammo to LA... Well I'm glad I don't live there. This definitely sucks.

-- ban secret compartments in vehicles to hide firearms;

Do these come standard or are they optional equipment? Seriously though, is this a big problem?

-- require gun dealers to conduct inventories and report the inventories to the Los Angeles Police Department.

Might not be a bad thing but it depends on the level or burden this puts on dealers.

nick
12-17-2008, 4:59 PM
If approved, the ordinances will:
Real life check - meaning a landlord who found out you had a gun may evict you, and then claim ignorance that it wasn't illegal. After all, good people don't have guns. It'll take some time and money to sue him, especially as you'll be busy rebuilding your life after an eviction
This one's just stupid. Exactly what does it accomplish?
Meaning, if you reload, you'll have to have extra paperwork, looking at how such things are implemented in L.A., or the burden of proof that you aren't manufacturing ammunition will be on you. Good luck suing or fighting being prosecuted by the city, with all the taxpayer money the city gets.
What if it was a stolen car? Will it be returned to the owner, or used to fill the city's coffers? Also, is it legal? I have no love for gangsters (and that's an understatement), but I'm not sure I like the precedent it sets.
Meaning, the good ole' folks in SWAT gear would show up at your door because you've acquired the arsenal of 2000 rounds of .223? Think it won't happen? It's happened already. Not to mention that now there's no escape from whatever tax the bankrupt (both fiscally and morally) City of L.A. would levy on ammunition.
WOuld that include the locked container with a gun shoved under the seat, where it doesn't attract the attention of a thief?
Hmm, am I paranoid, or are we talking about a precursor to gun registration? I can just see the next logical step (informing the City of L.A. of the gun purchases). And it's not like I trust the L.A.'s government any more than I'd trust that of New Orleans

All that being said, can anyone tell me exactly how it helps fighting crime?

Dark&Good
12-17-2008, 5:10 PM
"Hmm, am I paranoid, or are we talking about a precursor to gun registration?"

Isn't the DROS procedure a gun reg already?

HowardW56
12-17-2008, 5:31 PM

It is for handguns...

Dark&Good
12-17-2008, 5:36 PM
I take it as the $35 that I paid for each of my shotguns was the registration fee...

nick
12-17-2008, 5:46 PM

It's a federal procedure, for one. Theoretically, only handguns are registered. And who said I don't have a problem with handgun registration? :)

Also, I have even less trust in L.A. City government and LAPD/LASD than I do in the federal and state governments. I wonder why.

HowardW56
12-17-2008, 5:52 PM
It's a federal procedure, for one. Theoretically, only handguns are registered. And who said I don't have a problem with handgun registration? :)

Also, I have even less trust in L.A. City government and LAPD/LASD than I do in the federal and state governments. I wonder why.

The DROS is a California DOJ system, the 4473 is Federal.

Dark&Good
12-17-2008, 5:53 PM
Got it.

BroncoBob
12-17-2008, 6:42 PM
How many gangsers use 50 cal? My uneducated guess is none.......

NineteenElev3n
12-17-2008, 6:50 PM
Stupid knows no limits.

dfletcher
12-17-2008, 7:31 PM
So banning compartments means a separate item that is brought into the vehicle as opposed to that neat little roll up doored compartment built in by GM or Ford, right? Too bad, in '79 I drove cross country in my '67 Mustang convertible, had a neat little compartment in the center console.

So how do they define compartment if it's not part of the vehicle? Is it written in such a way as to NOT include the locked cases alot of people use going too & from the range?

CowboyShooter
12-18-2008, 9:12 AM
... they missed the obvious one.

"A ban on pants or any other article of clothing that includes a waistband or similar elastic device used to carry a gun."

As Bugs Bunny would say....

E8gsaDdqGzA

:D

Sgt Raven
12-18-2008, 10:53 AM
My reaction to the laws...

Do these come standard or are they optional equipment? Seriously though, is this a big problem?

My 2005 Dodge Ram has 3 of them, my wife's SUV has one, my old '95 Chevy had 2. All stock from the factory.