View Full Version : Bass Pro Purchasing Problem

12-17-2008, 2:02 PM
I would like to point out that I beleive Bass Pro may often refuse to honor their own store policies. Here's what happened:

Recently bass pro had the Browning Cynergy Satin Class shotgun in their monthly sales circular. The price in the add was $1299 the gun usually retails for I think $1499. Well, my friend who was just browsing around spotted the exact same shotgun at Turners for $1099. (I had a $500 gift certificate at Bass pro which I wanted to use) So I called bass pro and asked if them could match the price. The lady on the phone said NO problem we usually match prices from Turners. She took my name and number. About an hour later I get a call back from the manager. He said no can do. He said "Turners was BLOWING out that model and they are discontinuing it" he said I also had no proof that it was the SAME shotgun as the price was not in an ad. I was pretty pissed about that, I mean their own store policy says they will match prices for certain retailers. Turners included. In the meantime my friend purchased the very same shotgun at Turners for $1099 and had a receipt showing the exact same gun and quoted price.

Disappointed I called the 1800 bass pro number and told my case to someone on the phone. She said this should be possible and that she would speak to the manager. Few hours later the manager called back and said he'd meet me in the middle at $1199. Considering the gift certificate this was my only option so I drove down to buy the last one. My friend came along and showed the receipt to one of the asst managers. He was convinced but said he did not have authority to lower the price since it was set by a superior. He did say to come back and show the manager the receipt on pickup "so he could see what he can do".

Since then yet another friend bought the same gun at Turners for $1099.
I emailed Bass Pro's main manager and he still refused to honor the price match. His argument was that Turners is selling the price too low and they are being blown out. Well Bass Pro is doing the same thing with their sales ad! What's the difference. How can Bass Pro not compete with Turners pricing, they sell MANY multiples more guns.

I just want to share my story and get opinions.

Mr. J
12-17-2008, 2:17 PM
That isn't right but you bought it any way. They won and squeezed and extra 100 out of you.

I wouldn't have bought it out of principle but you could look at it as a $500 discount. :D

I would have used my gift card on an item that has a low profit margin and spent my cash elsewhere.

12-17-2008, 2:21 PM
Don't guns usually have a very small profit margin. At least that's what Ive heard. Bass Pro makes most of their money on clothes and other accessories.

12-17-2008, 3:33 PM
It seems their pricematch policy is just a gimmick .

12-17-2008, 4:25 PM
doesn't the fine print for price matching policies exclude clearance and discontinued merchandise?

12-17-2008, 5:08 PM
Does Turners state that the shotgun is discontinued or clearanced? If not then that manager is only assuming and has no proof that turners is blowing them out.