View Full Version : Gun Activist In-Fighting / Cal Lawyers

Lex Arma
12-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Dear CalGuns.net and calccw.com members:

This letter is addressed to all people who support self-defense civil rights and the right to keep and bear arms.

Feel free to post this on any web page, blog, e-mail blast or shooting club bulletin board.

This memorandum is approved by the offices of: Bruce Colodny, Chuck Michel and Don Kilmer.

There appears to be a turf war developing in California between/among gun rights organizations over who deserves credit (funding?) for various projects, lawsuits and initiatives.

This must stop. It leads to self-inflicted wounds and wasted resources in the California gun rights community.

We have all accepted that our “right to keep and bear arms” is fundamental to our existence as a free people and a free nation. It is at least as important as the freedom to communicate and/or raise our children. Therein lays the complication. Who among us would tolerate anyone telling us how to discipline/teach our children? The stakes are high and they are personal -- because everyone “knows” the best way to protect those things they value most. And because the stakes are high, differences of opinion are perceived as apostasy, which leads to the allegation of treason and/or heresy.

This is error.

Differences of opinion over tactics and strategies are NOT valid reasons to attack anyone’s character, motive, intelligence or commitment to the cause.

The following proposition may seem incredulous to the general public, but if two lawyers have differing legal opinions in an unsettled area of law, there are three possibilities: (1) they are both wrong, (2) one is right and the other is wrong, or (3) they are both right. This is especially possible when discussing gun law. If you don’t believe us, ask other lawyers who have actually litigated gun issues.

For the record: Bruce Colodny, Chuck Michel and Don Kilmer are colleagues who like, respect and trust each other, refer cases to one another, confer with each other often and (believe it or not) have worked well together for over 15 years.

Please continue to have your policy debates and differences of opinion about the best strategies and tactics for securing our rights, but please do not presume to drag our legal reputations and/or our law firms into these debates.

Thank you.

Bruce Colodny, Attorney at Law
C.D. “Chuck” Michel, Attorney at Law
Don Kilmer, Attorney at Law

12-17-2008, 12:45 PM
United, we stand. Divided we fall.

Great post.

12-17-2008, 1:00 PM

I paraphrase my understanding here but I think this is bubbling up out of concerns that somehow one law office or organization was attempting to take the credit for another law office or organizations work.

These are much of The Right People. It comes as no surprise to me and it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone else that the firearms legal community in California is a collegiate and close knit community. The good news is also that that collegiality allows real debate and alternative viewpoints on the best way forward - we do not have a legal monoculture in firearms in California.

However these guys are pros. I suggest no one attempt to drag them into perceived differences.

12-17-2008, 1:07 PM

I'm pleased to note that while certain gun organizations may have some CA political issues as discussed elsewhere, California's "Right People" gun lawyers are unified here in CA, as well on a national basis with other similar folks. And you should not make inferences about them from orgs they happen to represent.

Silviera is most definitely not one
of The Right People !!! ;) ]

12-17-2008, 5:44 PM
I've personally used 2 of the 3 firms listed, and can vouch for their professionalism.

Matt C
12-17-2008, 5:47 PM
People are naturally attracted to drama, and some people like to create it for themselves to get attention.

12-17-2008, 9:14 PM
This thread gives me warm fuzzies.

It's great to see that the north and south of our best and brightest are united.

12-18-2008, 9:04 AM
For some negative energy is better than no energy at all.

01-08-2009, 7:34 PM
Hear hear!

01-20-2009, 2:34 PM
...Differences of opinion over tactics and strategies are NOT valid reasons to attack anyone’s character, motive, intelligence or commitment to the cause...
Oh, God yes, unity is important. I've preached that endlessly, especially in context of those groups that attack NRA.

Indeed, all kinds of vicious attack-dog tactics borne out of self-interest have no place in the RKBA community.

01-20-2009, 11:51 PM
United we stand - divided we fall.

01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
All right, guys - ENOUGH.

01-21-2009, 11:00 AM
All right, guys - ENOUGH.

Good call.

Now that the unnecessary stuff has been pruned let's try to focus on how we can work TOGETHER to move FORWARD.

If you want to be divisive, move on.

01-23-2009, 8:30 AM
Such a basic and fundamental concept. I am all for working together to restore all the rights granted by the Constitution. 2nd amendment protects the constitution best when citizens practice it together.