PDA

View Full Version : first time i will be shooting a rifle, next week..questions

GoingPro
12-17-2008, 12:50 PM
next week im going with my pops to shoot my brand new AR...never shot it before....i will be at burro canyon. i have some questions....what type of ammo should i pick up? does ammo brothers have good ammo? a gun cleaning kit which one and does anyone have a site on how to clean an AR? what about burro canyon, do they have ear and eye protection and targets to sell? thanks guys this is going to be the first rifle i have ever shot....my dad used to be a huge gun collector back in the 80s and he sold everything due to divorce so it will be a good experience with him...some father and son bonding

fusionstar
12-17-2008, 1:30 PM
If 5.56 then get some xm193 if .223 then the centurion packs are nice. Otherwise just get some UMC or White Box Winchesters from walmart. If it goes bang at the muzzle its good plinking ammo.

GoingPro
12-17-2008, 1:49 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/daddygspot/AR-15.jpg

getting the troy BUIS on this week. then i will be getting a saiga 7.62 then i will add my optics....i would rather have my rifles that i want first before i get crazy on this project

natejosiah
12-17-2008, 1:51 PM
As for cleaning, here are some links from the Tips for new members thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=54227

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=59251

Fjold
12-17-2008, 1:54 PM
When you go to Walmart to pick up the plinking ammo get a packge of foam earplugs and some of the $5 shooting glasses.

Desert_AIP
12-17-2008, 2:00 PM
Don't forget to get some CLP to lube it.
New ARs need a lot of lube to operate properly.

GoingPro
12-17-2008, 2:06 PM
i dont need to lube it yet right? its brand new

Arkalius
12-17-2008, 2:14 PM
You should definitely lube it. New guns usually aren't very well lubed. Clean the bolt thoroughly and give it a good helping of lube. New bolts and bcgs can be kind of finicky at first until they break in and a good bit of lube in there (especially around the gas rings) can help it break in better.

sb_pete
12-17-2008, 2:19 PM
I always disassemble, clean and relube new rifles before shooting them. For AR's CLP is std (sold as Break Free CLP), dry lubes like TW25b work great though. Alot of guys say good things about Gun Butter.

I assume you won't be slogging the thing through mud and what not, so it really depends on how dry and dusty your area is. Shooting in the deserts of SoCal for example, one can be very gentle with a rifle but still end up with tons of sand/dirt/crap in the action. This will dictate how you want to be lubing the rifle. Dry lubes are more expensive, but save you alot of hassle in those kind of environments.

Many guns take a few hundred rounds fired to work the action into reliability. Some don't. Either way, investing in a couple snap caps and cycling the action while practicing mag changes, clearances, etc and watching TV will do nothing but help.

aplinker
12-17-2008, 2:36 PM
Always, always, always run a moist patch and a few dry ones through a "new" barrel. Lots of crap builds in there from the time it was built to the time you shoot it.

ARs need to be run WET. It's very unlikely it's wet enough now.

Any ammo is fine. ARs should be capable of eating anything you throw at them. Wal Mart is a good choice (assuming your local Wally carries ammo).

cleanguy46
12-17-2008, 2:38 PM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm199/cleanguy46/clp.jpg

Clean and lube your rifle with copious amounts of CLP, wipe her down and she will peform well for you for many years. Have fun and get back with a range report! :D

Dirtbiker
12-17-2008, 2:40 PM
Important safety tip...

The skinny end with the hole goes away from you.

BOSCO
12-17-2008, 4:52 PM
Let the range officer know it's your first time there. The r.o. will let you know the rules as far as wich range is for rifles your caliber and what to do when a cease fire is called. Check out burrocanyon.com for more info on hours and rates. And enjoy your time with your pops!

devildog999
12-17-2008, 5:07 PM
ENJOY IT ;)

Trench Broom
12-17-2008, 7:12 PM
Great place, Burro Canyon. Friendly and helpful staff, seperate ranges for just about everything - even a private rental range. Have fun! :)

GoingPro
12-17-2008, 9:07 PM
thanks guys...i have been shooting hand guns since i was 16. started with my brothers 9mm sig and from there i have always went shooting...ive shot shotguns and handguns only and ive always wanted an AR-15, i didnt know they were legal til mid october... i cant wait to see what this thing can do

Capt. Speirs
12-18-2008, 12:01 AM
What day are you going, I am itching to go again.

stag6.8
12-18-2008, 1:21 AM
What day are you going, I am itching to go again.

I want to go too .....I just completed my second build and cant wait to try it out..... and burro is close to me:D what day are you guys going?

GoingPro
12-18-2008, 12:40 PM
probobly 11am or 12pm tuesday

Capt. Speirs
12-18-2008, 12:52 PM
probobly 11am or 12pm tuesday

Hey, that's my birthday! That's what I want for my birthday, go shootin'. Be sure to check road conditions.

GoingPro
12-18-2008, 10:28 PM
what type of gun oil should i use? where should i put the oil before i take the AR out?