PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x54R Question

thinkinblue613
12-17-2008, 1:12 AM
I heard you can't shoot these in the outdoor range... Is that true? Something with "Full Metal Jacket" rounds that the ranges don't allow.

I was wondering if it was true and where I can go to shoot them since most of the ammunition for this caliber are from the military surplus. Also, are there other alternatives?

69Mach1
12-17-2008, 1:33 AM
Most outdoor ranges will not allow any ammunition with a bullet that attracts a magnet, either because it has a steel core, steel jacket, or bimetal jacket. Fire danger is the excuse that they use. Most 54R ammo will attract a magnet. Especially surplus. Wolf copper fmj is "range safe".

BP88
12-17-2008, 1:36 AM
Most outdoor ranges will not allow any ammunition with a bullet that attracts a magnet, either because it has a steel core, steel jacket, or bimetal jacket. Fire danger is the excuse that they use. Most 54R ammo will attract a magnet. Especially surplus. Wolf copper fmj is "range safe".

Hit the nail on the head!

Tho_Sun
12-17-2008, 1:42 AM
During off fire season, you can usually go to burros to shoot magnet attracting ammo. If you want some ammo that is range friendly other times, get stuff like Yugoslavian Military surplus which doesn't usually attract a magnet. You can get them from online ammo dealers. It will usually say non magnetic. Other wise, look for off brands like olympic which is non magnetic. Make sure it says it before you order otherwise it's just a waste of time. GL on your findings.

P.S. If you reload, it's still hard to find the correct caliber as 54r takes .311 caliber as to the usual .308 that they sell out there. If you reload with .308, then you'll notice irradic behavior or minute of a pie plate if not worst.

Capita159
12-17-2008, 1:50 AM
wait for a rainy day =) it'll be cold, it'll be wet, and it'll be extremely fun

BP88
12-17-2008, 1:56 AM
wait for a rainy day =) it'll be cold, it'll be wet, and it'll be extremely fun

Then I suppose the upcoming week would be a great time to go shoot some steel-core ammo.

... but not a great time to ride! Damn this rain! :mad:

sickboy774
12-17-2008, 3:00 AM
I think my buddy bought some PMC soft points at Angeles shooting range

thinkinblue613
12-17-2008, 3:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. Why is some ammo magnetic? What makes it magnetic?

I think my buddy bought some PMC soft points at Angeles shooting range

That is the range I go to. They sell that in the ammunition store?

fusionstar
12-17-2008, 4:35 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. Why is some ammo magnetic? What makes it magnetic??

Steel.

Steel + Rocks/Hard object = Sparks = Fire = Big No-No

thinkinblue613
12-17-2008, 4:46 AM
Steel.

Steel + Rocks/Hard object = Sparks = Fire = Big No-No

I understand now. As long as the bullet says its made with lead core bullets, it will be fine? Even though the only thing that is steel is the casing?

railroader
12-17-2008, 6:14 AM
It can have a lead core and a steel jacket. This will still attract a magnet. Lots of wolf ammo is this way.

thinkinblue613
12-17-2008, 6:48 AM
Wouldn't lead core be magnetically different from steel core?

CSACANNONEER
12-17-2008, 7:03 AM
I understand now. As long as the bullet says its made with lead core bullets, it will be fine? Even though the only thing that is steel is the casing?

It completely depends on the individual range and their rules.

69Mach1
12-17-2008, 9:31 AM
Wouldn't lead core be magnetically different from steel core?

It doesn't matter if the core is lead. If it has any magnetic metal in the bullets jacket, it's going to attract a magnet. The ranges use a magnet to test your bullet tips. If it sticks, it's not allowed. They can't tell if it's just a bimetal jacket with a lead core or if it has a steel core, and they don't care.

Agustav
12-17-2008, 10:44 AM
P.S. If you reload, it's still hard to find the correct caliber as 54r takes .311 caliber as to the usual .308 that they sell out there. If you reload with .308, then you'll notice irradic behavior or minute of a pie plate if not worst.

If you are shooting Mosin Nagant (91/30, M44, M38), you might wanna slug your barrel. I slugged one of my 91/30, and it comes out to be .314. I reload with .311 as it's more common then .314 bullets, and I got 3 MOA 5 shoot grouping. Not great, but close enough for me...

I also slugged my PSL and it comes out to be .312. So, .311 bullets works out great!

Best way to avoid using steel bullets is reload! It's not cheaper, but definitely a great skill to learn! :seeya:

Full Clip
12-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Best way to avoid using steel bullets is reload! It's not cheaper, but definitely a great skill to learn! :seeya:

It's absolutely cheaper if you take a look at the prices for ammo at Angeles.
Also, the Yugo surplus ammo is also corrosive -- a bit of a pain to clean up after if you're shooting a semi-auto like a PSL or SVT-40.

thinkinblue613
12-17-2008, 4:24 PM
If you are shooting Mosin Nagant (91/30, M44, M38), you might wanna slug your barrel. I slugged one of my 91/30, and it comes out to be .314. I reload with .311 as it's more common then .314 bullets, and I got 3 MOA 5 shoot grouping. Not great, but close enough for me...

I also slugged my PSL and it comes out to be .312. So, .311 bullets works out great!

I'm picking my 91/30 this Friday out of Big 5.

How do you "slug" it? Bring it to a gunsmith? I was planning to just so they can see if its alright to shoot. I don't wanna blow my face off.

Man, this is really a let down I can't shoot 7.62x54R without getting "restricted". It's been raining lately but I don't think that matters.

I don't think I can afford reloading. How much would it cost to get started on that?

railroader
12-17-2008, 4:32 PM
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_1980_s_7.62x54R_182grn_FMJ.html http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=195727 Buy this ammo and you are good to go. Non magnetic but corrosive. I've had some stashed for a few years. It's very good brass case ammo. Mark

thinkinblue613
12-17-2008, 4:37 PM
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_1980_s_7.62x54R_182grn_FMJ.html http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=195727 Buy this ammo and you are good to go. Non magnetic but corrosive. I've had some stashed for a few years. It's very good brass case ammo. Mark

Thank you Mark! I've been very worried about my purchase... Saved me a lot of trouble man.

railroader
12-17-2008, 6:16 PM
Sportmans guide sometimes has cheaper shipping than Aim. If buy from Sportmans do a search on google for a coupon code. You can save about $10 on the purchase. http://www.dealtaker.com/SportsmansGuide-coupon-code-a405-c.html Mark

holyhandgrenade
12-17-2008, 6:50 PM
Ammoman has the Yugo surplus stuff for $99 delivered, mine just came yesterday :D

Neither the bullet nor casing will attract a magnet, so its good at virtually all ranges that allow rifle cartridges (I usually shoot at Iron Sights in Oceanside).

Agustav
12-18-2008, 10:01 AM
How do you "slug" it? Bring it to a gunsmith? I was planning to just so they can see if its alright to shoot. I don't wanna blow my face off.

I used a .321 cast bullets and a rod gently tap it into the barrel thru the muzzle end.

M. Sage
12-18-2008, 1:47 PM
It doesn't matter if the core is lead. If it has any magnetic metal in the bullets jacket, it's going to attract a magnet. The ranges use a magnet to test your bullet tips. If it sticks, it's not allowed. They can't tell if it's just a bimetal jacket with a lead core or if it has a steel core, and they don't care.

They also can't tell (and from what I've heard don't care) if the jacket is nickel and the core is lead (GP-11). Hell, most people don't even know nickel is magnetic!

aplinker
12-18-2008, 2:07 PM
They also can't tell (and from what I've heard don't care) if the jacket is nickel and the core is lead (GP-11). Hell, most people don't even know nickel is magnetic!

:yes: