PDA

View Full Version : Ammunition Laws in LA featured on local Fox station.

Harrison_Bergeron
12-16-2008, 11:38 PM
From Fox 11.

Pretty funny, but in a bad way.

http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=8089054&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

We have to protect our helicopters from the scourge that is gang members armed with 50 caliber firearms loaded with ammunition bought in bulk off the internet.

NiteQwill
12-16-2008, 11:46 PM
WTF? I have never heard of a "gang member" using a .50 in ANY crime. The cost alone is prohibited. Helicopters? Cop cars? If anyone can shoot a moving helicopter, I'd have other things to worry about. That got me rolling...

Chris Rock: "How do we solve gun control? Make bullets $3000.... I'd kill you, if I can afford it..."

becxltoo984
12-16-2008, 11:54 PM
How lame .. so the gang bangers well just roll out side the city limits and buy or steal thier ammo !

Dr Rockso
12-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Local news stories always seem to be more biased and factually incorrect than national news stories (about a lot of things, but guns in particular).

Dr Rockso
12-17-2008, 12:06 AM
By the way, who is the d-bag that keeps talking about cop cars and helicopters? I'd go back and watch it again, but once was enough.

I also liked the fact that whenever they mentioned .50 caliber weapons taking out vehicles, they showed not .50 BMG (which would be laughable enough), but .50 AE.

joemama
12-17-2008, 12:19 AM
"bring it on" ok tough guy. I think I would have to start my conversation with this dumb@$$ with "when was the last helicopter/cop car brought down by .50 AE in LA?" Then I would follow up on how they should pass legislation banning uninformed people from publicly speaking on television about something they seem to know nothing about and possibly more legislation on permanently affixing heavy duty duct tape to their mouths.

Harrison_Bergeron
12-17-2008, 12:38 AM
The story that immediately preceded this one was gun related too. Seemed ok, aside from the arsenal talk.

http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=8088951&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Synergy
12-17-2008, 2:00 AM
Yeah I see bangers in Nickerson Gardens or Imperial Courts, rolling around with M82A1's, hid in their pants.

The rules only apply to LA city limits. Criminals cant drive cars, outside of LA city to buy their ammo? WTF? Jack Weiss needs a shoe thrown at him!

CalNRA
12-17-2008, 3:38 AM
Yeah I see bangers in Nickerson Gardens or Imperial Courts, rolling around with M82A1's, hid in their pants.

don't you hate it when someone robs you from 600 yards away?;)

GM4spd
12-17-2008, 5:50 AM
Forget the 50 cal bs,the ammo thing is going to spread to the whole state
and out of state.It won't be long before no ammo will be sold here,along with primers,powder,and bullets--that is
their ultimate goal. Already a lot of internet sellers will not sell/ship ammo to parts of this state. Pete

jrau13
12-17-2008, 7:04 AM
This is a sign of bad things coming I think.......but am praying for the best.

stphnman20
12-17-2008, 7:11 AM
Damn that dude has been watching SWAT one to many times.. You know, the part where the helo got shot down.. lol.. Anyways, he's a moron for calling the NRA's punk card!

yellowfin
12-17-2008, 7:57 AM
don't you hate it when someone robs you from 600 yards away?;)We get robbed all the time here from miles away. I'm in Cupertino and they rob me all the way in Sacramento on a daily basis.

glockman19
12-17-2008, 9:37 AM
I'm tempted to bring a Lee Classic Kit to Council chambers and durring my 2min. allocated for comment produce ammo by hand showing them that in 2 min I can load more than 2 rounds.

BTW, I'd bet with proper shot placement you could bring down a LAPD helicopter with a .308 or .30-06 round.

DVLDOC
12-17-2008, 10:20 AM
WTF is wrong with Jack - O** Weiss@55!

AaronHorrocks
12-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Damn that dude has been watching SWAT one to many times.. You know, the part where the helo got shot down.. lol.. Anyways, he's a moron for calling the NRA's punk card!

And the movie Leathal Weapon is why all flame throwers and parts (even ownership) are banned in california. The idiots in the state capital are getting thier weapon's "knowledge" from other idiots making fictional movies.

RRangel
12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I guess we can expect nothing less from people who are really disingenuous about actually being concerned with "the people" to begin with. As long as the local dumbed down populace is asleep they will continue to get away with it. The example that the city sets in regards to our freedoms is downright criminal in itself, not to mention embarrassing on a national scale.

CCWFacts
12-17-2008, 10:47 AM
You know, I never really much desire for a 50 BMG gun, but watching that video inspires me to want to buy a 50 BMG upper just to spite him.

Trapper
12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I hope the gang bangers were conscientious enough to use environmentally friendly Barnes bullets. Hate to see the fine for shooting down a helicopter with lead bullets, and just think about how many California condors could have been killed!

Dr Rockso
12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
You know, I never really much desire for a 50 BMG gun, but watching that video inspires me to want to buy a 50 BMG upper just to spite him.

.50 BMG is already banned... .510 DTC on the other hand :)

Bruce
12-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Anybody else notice that the .50 cal ammo they showed was .50 Action Express? These idiots don't even know the difference between .50 BMG and .50 AE! Reminds me of the late Sen Patrick Moynihan (D-NY) who went off on a rant, after the .50 AE was introduced, about semi-auto handguns that fired .50 caliber machine gun ammo. :eek:

CCWFacts
12-17-2008, 11:18 AM

Yes, but if I'm doing it to spite them, I would want to get exactly the one that gets the so excited. I happen to drive through Mr. Weiss' district basically every day, including driving by his office building, so it would make me happy to (legally) own one of these things. Also 50 BMG ammo is more available.

And hey, if you look at the shape of his district, you'll notice that it's basically wrapped around the city of Beverly Hills. All you in LA who want to mail order ammo, just open a PO box in BH, right in the center of Weiss' district.

M. Sage
12-17-2008, 1:39 PM
A lot of ammo sellers won't ship to PO boxes.

A .50 BMG upper is legal as long as it's never assembled onto a receiver.

.50 Beowulf is cool, though. :D

CCWFacts
12-17-2008, 2:09 PM
A lot of ammo sellers won't ship to PO boxes.

There are about four mailbox services (not PO boxes) within one block of Mr. Weiss' office, that are all not-in-LA and can receive ammo. In fact there's one almost directly across the street, literally a "stone's throw".

A .50 BMG upper is legal as long as it's never assembled onto a receiver.

If I had one I would assemble it, legally, in California. (Not all lowers are created equal, under the unfair laws in this state.)

nhanson
12-17-2008, 2:13 PM
Folks,
Helicopter shoot down in Viet Nam and Afghanistan were accomplished with 7.62x39, .303 Enfield and assorted other general calibers. In addition, it was accomplished from very close range, treetop in Viet Nam and from above (ask the Russians how many Helios they lost in the canyons of Afghanistan!)

.50 BMG is not a player on Helios other than in the movies......

Enjoy

Fate
12-17-2008, 2:41 PM
Jack Weiss was DOJ Allison Merrilees' mentor once upon a time. Surprised?

CCWFacts
12-17-2008, 3:40 PM
Jack Weiss was DOJ Allison Merrilees' mentor once upon a time. Surprised?

Yes, but this shows, we need to "nip them in the bud", meaning, we need to stop these anti-gun rising stars while they are still at the local levels. Mr. Weiss could be running for Cal. assembly, or other higher offices later in his career. If we could somehow shut off these guys' careers at the lower levels, it would really help.

97F1504RAD
12-17-2008, 4:19 PM
I agree with CCWFacts this is the type of politician that needs to have his career ended now by those of us that vote on the matter. It is his reckless attitudes towards the 2nd Amendment that is really quit frightening to say the least.

M. Sage
12-17-2008, 4:44 PM
If I had one I would assemble it, legally, in California. (Not all lowers are created equal, under the unfair laws in this state.)

I knew I should have said "except for registered AWs." That'll teach me.

jumbopanda
12-17-2008, 5:11 PM
I wanted to throw a shoe at the TV when I saw that moron mouthing off about .50 cals...

eazyle
12-17-2008, 7:42 PM
Here's an update...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-guns18-2008dec18,0,3132923.story

H2H
12-17-2008, 8:47 PM
someone give me a shoe..

Meplat
12-17-2008, 8:52 PM
I could shoot down moving helicopters. I work with Helicopters all the time and have calculated the needed information. A .308 or 30-06 will do in most cases. But a .50 would be better.

Knowledge is power. Try to legislate that out of existence.:43:

WTF? I have never heard of a "gang member" using a .50 in ANY crime. The cost alone is prohibited. Helicopters? Cop cars? If anyone can shoot a moving helicopter, I'd have other things to worry about. That got me rolling...

Chris Rock: "How do we solve gun control? Make bullets $3000.... I'd kill you, if I can afford it..."

Meplat
12-17-2008, 9:09 PM
That can be done by concentrating a whole state full of resources on a single local race. We really need to concentrate on that.:43:

Yes, but this shows, we need to "nip them in the bud", meaning, we need to stop these anti-gun rising stars while they are still at the local levels. Mr. Weiss could be running for Cal. assembly, or other higher offices later in his career. If we could somehow shut off these guys' careers at the lower levels, it would really help.

oaklander
12-17-2008, 9:19 PM
Pretty sure you can STILL legally buy a semi-auto M2.

nrakid88
12-17-2008, 9:33 PM
Who was that idiot who said "no one should be able to have a .50 caliber gun or bullet in there possesion"? I would like to send him a picture of me with a 50 BMG round and a short essay for his delight. Not that he'd read it

CCWFacts
12-17-2008, 9:33 PM
That can be done by concentrating a whole state full of resources on a single local race. We really need to concentrate on that.:43:

You know, that's a good idea. Single out someone like Weiss and work to get him defeated.

City council races often come down to very small numbers of votes. Even "small" amounts of money go a long way in a city council race. Weiss' district, District 5, is open right now and is in a competitive race. I'll see if I can get in contact with some of the candidates.

I would not propose any of them running on openly pro-gun platforms. It needs to be on the QT of course. That's reality. But that's ok.

jumbopanda
12-17-2008, 9:49 PM
Pretty sure you can STILL legally buy a semi-auto M2.

That damn gun lobby is always coming up with loopholes to get by our common-sense gun control laws! We need to close the .50 cal machine gun loophole before these deadly weapons flood our streets! Otherwise police helicopters are going to get shot down left and right!

jumbopanda
12-17-2008, 9:51 PM
Who was that idiot who said "no one should be able to have a .50 caliber gun or bullet in there possesion"? I would like to send him a picture of me with a 50 BMG round and a short essay for his delight. Not that he'd read it

You should dress in baggy clothes, load up on bling, and throw up a gang sign with one hand while holding the .50bmg round in your other. :D

Solidmch
12-17-2008, 9:55 PM
Making guns and ammo illegal seems to work for mexico!:rolleyes:

Runitai
12-17-2008, 11:17 PM
After several council members received a letter from Michel on the letterhead of the Trutanich-Michel firm challenging several proposed gun and ammunition ordinances, Weiss called on his opponent to "fire the NRA as a client or quit the race for city attorney."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't "firing" a client while litigation is pending get you disbarred? Besides, you can't fire your boss. Amazing the people who aspire to write law.

If Trutanich wins, is he going to call on him to fire his constituents?

sb_pete
12-18-2008, 4:34 PM
I'm reminded of the movie "Street Kings"

Ludlow opens his trunk showing a Browning M2 .50BMG to the Korean gangbangers whom he has met with to sell them a "machine gun"
Korean gangbanger 1: 'The f**k is this, we said a MACHINE GUN!
Ludlow: It is a machine gun.
Korean gangbanger 2: The kind you can carry.
Ludlow: tssssss, Couldn't get none 'o those. These baby's got character. Korean War vintage. Maybe even mowed down one of your grandpapasans when he was chargin' the wire at Inchon.
Korean gangbanger: Sh**, it's fu**ing stuck.
Ludlow: F*** it, take the ride. Three large, the VIN's clean.

** Racist insults back and forth**

Korean gangbanger 2: Yo, do you know who the f**k we are?
Ludlow: Yeah, you're a couple a panheads buying a machine gun outta my trunk.

I really can't imagine the scenario where "gangbangers" start using .50BMG weapons. I love the frequent showing of .50AE ammo. Sigh. Idiot politicos mumbling idiot thoughts about idiotic made up dangers.