PDA

View Full Version : L.A. council panel approves gun control measures

eazyle
12-16-2008, 9:33 PM
I just saw this on the news. Anyone have any updates on this? If it has already been posted, sorry. :TFH:

L.A. council panel approves gun control measures
The proposals would make it easier for landlords to evict tenants who illegally use guns. Ammunition vendors would have to get permits. Sales of .50-caliber ammunition would also be banned.
By Maeve Reston
December 9, 2008
The Public Safety Committee of the Los Angeles City Council approved a package of gun control measures Monday that would make it easier for landlords to evict tenants with illegal firearms and ammunition, place new requirements on ammunition vendors and allow the city to permanently seize cars from some gang members.

The measures were introduced by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, and Councilmen Greig Smith and Jack Weiss, a candidate for city attorney, in May as part of the mayor's antigang initiative.

Nearly 1,000 residents turn in guns in Compton

Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton and City Atty. Rocky Delgadillo appeared at the news conference to show support for the efforts.

Delgadillo spoke in favor of the measure to seize vehicles used by gang members, which originated in his office according to his staff.

Under the eviction measure proposed by Weiss and council members Janice Hahn and Eric Garcetti, landlords could evict a tenant who illegally used guns or ammunition within 1,000 feet of a rental property.

The committee also approved measures requiring ammunition vendors to obtain permits from the Police Commission for sales and to conduct those sales face-to-face with buyers.

Under one of the proposed ordinances, the employees handling ammunition would also be subject to a background check.

Another measure creates a requirement for gun dealers to inspect their inventory twice a year -- reporting any lost or stolen weapons to the Police Department and providing an affidavit of the inspections.

The committee also approved an ordinance banning the sale of .50-caliber ammunition.

Rhonda Foster, whose 7-year-old son Evan was killed in Inglewood's Darby Park in 1997 by a gunman wielding an assault-style weapon, spoke in favor of the measure at the meeting.

No one spoke in opposition to the measures at Monday's committee meeting.

But Long Beach attorney C.D. Michel, the law partner of city attorney candidate Carmen "Nuch" Trutanich, wrote a letter to several of the committee members accusing Weiss of politicizing the issue to benefit his campaign for city attorney.

Michel, who wrote the letter on behalf of clients -- the National Rifle Assn. and the California Rifle and Pistol Assn. -- said the majority of the measures were "costly, naive and ineffective policy" -- arguing that a number of the proposals were likely to face legal challenge and that others were redundant because they address areas already covered by state law.

Weiss noted that lawyers for the city attorney believe the ordinances are legally defensible.

"I've prosecuted gun crimes as a federal prosecutor, and I'm proud that I've worked on gun legislation my entire time in the City Council. It's a sick industry, and this is the type of charge we expect from them," he said. .

Reston is a Times staff writer.

maeve.reston@latimes.com
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-safety9-2008dec09,0,4596644.story

UPDATE****

L.A. council tightens gun, ammunition laws
They are intended to help reduce the city's gun and gang violence, but a lawyer for the National Rifle Assn. says his client probably would file suit to block some of the measures.
7:07 PM PST, December 17, 2008

The Los Angeles City Council approved a package of gun control laws Wednesday, placing new requirements on ammunition sellers and banning the sale of military-style ammunition in the hopes of further reducing the city's gun and gang violence.

The measures ban the sale of .50-caliber ammunition capable of destroying a car's motor, and would require the city's ammunition vendors to be licensed, to sell their products face-to-face instead of over the Internet and report a full accounting of their inventory twice a year to the Police Department.

The council passed laws prohibiting the installation of secret compartments for guns in cars and allowing the city to permanently seize vehicles used by gang members during a crime, which was proposed by City Atty. Rocky Delgadillo.

The council also approved an ordinance that would allow landlords to evict tenants who are convicted of illegally possessing weapons or ammunition within 1,000 feet of the rental property.

A lawyer for the National Rifle Assn. said his client probably would file suit to block some of the measures.

Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who helped develop the ordinances with Councilman Jack Weiss and other members, praised the package at a news conference before the vote.

"We use this to stop a vehicle," Bratton said, holding up a gold, .50-caliber bullet longer and thicker than a finger. "Unless you are out trying to kill Godzilla, and I think the last time we saw Godzilla was in the 1950s, there is no need for this type of weapon" unless it is in the hands of the military or law enforcement, he said.

Villaraigosa dismissed questions about whether the ammunition restrictions would have a practical effect since buyers could simply purchase the bullets over the Internet or in cities where the laws do not apply.

"Part of what we're doing here is leading the way," Villaraigosa said, stating that the measures are another tool to fight gun violence and that he hoped other cities and President-elect Barack Obama's administration would follow suit. "This is the most far-reaching effort of any big city in the country. . . . This isn't about symbolism; it's about results."

The council approved the measures unanimously.

But C.D. Michel, a Long Beach attorney who represents the National Rifle Assn. and the California Rifle & Pistol Assn., said his clients were likely to sue over the new laws governing ammunition sales and vendors because they either conflict with or are duplicated by state law.

Michel, the law partner of city attorney candidate Carmen A. Trutanich, also questioned the effectiveness of the ammunition measures, noting that there are only a handful of gun vendors left in the city and buyers could go elsewhere.

"A lot of these don't really do what the sound bite would portray them as doing," said Michel, who accused Weiss of pushing the measures to get publicity for his own campaign for city attorney. "It's about trying to look like you're doing something when you're not really doing anything. We'll just challenge the ones that are illegal in court."

Weiss, who introduced four of the ordinances and is chairman of the city's public safety committee, addressed the possibility of legal challenges by the NRA at the news conference.

"I think the message from everyone up here to the NRA is pretty simple: Make our day. We will fight you in court. We will win," Weiss said.

Weiss has criticized Trutanich's associations with the NRA, which is likely to be an issue in the city attorney's race.

After several council members received letters from Michel on letterhead of the Trutanich-Michel firm challenging the city's gun and ammunition ordinances, Weiss called on his opponent to "fire the NRA as a client or quit the race for city attorney."

Weiss' campaign also circulated a news article to reporters in which Trutanich refers to the NRA as his client.

But when Weiss raised the issue in early December, Trutanich released a statement stating that the NRA is not his client, he is not a member of the organization and he disagrees with many of the NRA's positions. His campaign manager said he was misquoted when he referred to the NRA as a client in the August news article.

Annie Oakley
12-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Which is why I will probably never live in L.A.. Kudos to Chuck Michel for standing against them.

alex00
12-16-2008, 10:38 PM
"I've prosecuted gun crimes as a federal prosecutor, and I'm proud that I've worked on gun legislation my entire time in the City Council. It's a sick industry, and this is the type of charge we expect from them," he said. .

I'm glad this guy can separate criminal use of guns from the "industry" and presumably from all the lawful gun owners out there. How does he breathe with his head buried so deep in the sand?

tyrist
12-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Which is why I will probably never live in L.A.. Kudos to Chuck Michel for standing against them.

Of all the reasons to not live in LA this is one of the more minor ones.

fred40
12-17-2008, 3:34 PM
does anyone know how many murders were committed with a 50 cal? Just wondering

1064chubbs
12-17-2008, 4:09 PM

Hell at the going rates I can probably get 50rds of 9mm for 2rds of .50 cal

Dark&Good
12-17-2008, 5:56 PM

This is all I could find in 20 minutes:
http://blogs.timesunion.com/underfire/?p=47

BS.

nick
12-17-2008, 6:00 PM
Weiss noted that lawyers for the city attorney believe the ordinances are legally defensible.

You can tell he approaches this with an open mind and the desire to do what's best to combat crime, and not to fight the "sick industry".

DDT
12-17-2008, 6:08 PM
"I've prosecuted gun crimes as a federal prosecutor, and I'm proud that I've worked on gun legislation my entire time in the City Council. It's a sick industry

I didn't even know there was a "gun crimes" industry. I guess that's what you call bad legislation creating gun crimes" out of legitimate exercise of 2A rights.

fred40
12-17-2008, 6:49 PM

BS.

More murders were committed with knifes whats their excuse for that?

Meplat
12-17-2008, 7:33 PM
I'll bet more were commited with base ball bats.

Shotgun Man
12-17-2008, 8:07 PM
Can LA residents buy their ammo over the internet like the article suggested?

pedro_c111
12-18-2008, 1:05 AM
"assault-style weapon"

Thats a new one.

thinkinblue613
12-18-2008, 3:35 AM
When the police and military are the only with high caliber rounds, they have the power to use it on us.

It is funny that these lawmakers make laws against gangs and criminals but those gangs will find ways to break them. That is why they're outlaws! These laws are pointless unless they want to make an "illusion" for the public for the big plans they really have going behind the scenes.

It's sad that it really only affects the law-abiding citizens.

Mulay El Raisuli
12-18-2008, 4:15 AM
"assault-style weapon"

Thats a new one.

Since they aren't "assault weapons"(and since anyone claiming such can be shown to be a fool) using this term is actually something of an improvement. They're still tools, mind, but slightly better educated tools.

The Raisuli

Window_Seat
12-18-2008, 4:30 AM
And who said "gun control" is not top on the list of agendas because of the "economy meltdown"?

Erik; seeing the frog water get really hot "down there".

AJAX22
12-18-2008, 5:24 AM

BS.

Of all of those 'evil uses of .50 cal guns' most were guys committing crimes who were later found to own 50's.... they weren't actually used to commit the crime...

I bet they also had toster ovens.... I suspect there may be a causality in that too :rolleyes:

there were TWO cases of them actually being used in a crime as near as I can tell, one nutjob who killed his wife and kids, the other was an armored car robery.

thats it, thats all,

glockman19
12-18-2008, 6:47 AM
Can LA residents buy their ammo over the internet like the article suggested?

I'm guessing YES. Why? because they have NO AUTHORITY to control business anywhere outside of the city. If they did then Pasadena business would have to comply...they don't.

The whole thing is a joke.

I'd like to question Wiess as to whether he thinks Law Enforcement Officers are there to "protect us". Perhaps the lawyer hasn't read Warren V. DC, the California Constitution and the nation's 2nd amendment.

Aldemar
12-18-2008, 7:18 AM
These are just more of the "feel good laws" these idiots have passed. Let's not forget the ammo sales ban for the 10 days before the July 4th and New Year's holidays. Any gun range within the city limits if effectively out of business for these 20 days. Also the "pocket pistol" ban.

Since these are CITY of LA laws only, one can simply go to Burbank, Culver City or Simi Valley to circumvent these laws.

Al

nick
12-18-2008, 7:43 AM

Knives aren't banned yet, that's why.

cineski
12-18-2008, 8:07 AM
I'm missing what's going to happen with ammo sales? No buying ammo online after this? What's the effective date?

truthseeker
12-18-2008, 8:22 AM
Here is what I don't understand.

They are saying that they are implementing this law to get the .50 cal weapons out of gang members/criminals hands. Well, they will still be able to obtain these items because they do not follow the laws.

Second, then he says only law enforcement and the military should own .50 cal weapons. That statement conflicts with the first statement, because law abiding citizens will also be excluded from owning a .50 cal.

Clodbuster
12-18-2008, 11:51 AM
They'll pass another law saying that it's illegal for criminals to ignore laws :rolleyes:

Clod

Here is what I don't understand.

They are saying that they are implementing this law to get the .50 cal weapons out of gang members/criminals hands. Well, they will still be able to obtain these items because they do not follow the laws.

Clodbuster
12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Black assault-styled bats?

Clod

I'll bet more were commited with base ball bats.

mbrown
12-19-2008, 9:18 AM
Here's a video:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/New_Gun_Laws_Coming_to_LA_Los_Angeles.html

alex00
12-19-2008, 9:35 AM
So they want to protect the helicopters, and police cars from the gangbangers with .50cals? How many laws are already in place to prohibit the activity already? We already have the 50cal rifle ban, laws against shooting at occupied cars, laws against shooting at people, laws against gang members possessing ammo, felon in possession laws, loaded weapon in city laws, shooting in city laws. So for that one in million gang member that actually ever tried to shoot down a helicopter, all the other laws wouldn't stop him, but an LA city ordinance against buying ammo would? :banghead:

steadyrock
12-19-2008, 9:50 AM

Don't give them any ideas. :TFH:

Kruzr
12-19-2008, 10:40 AM
And who said "gun control" is not top on the list of agendas because of the "economy meltdown"?

There is a big difference between the LA City Council and the US Congress.

ChibiPaw
12-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Im just curious.. Im sure they're refering to 50BMG..
Here's my question. If you can afford a .50BMG, why would you live in an apartment, and not your own properties? Either way, gotta love these useless feel good laws. I want my CA tax $ back on the time wasted on concocting this.

MadMex
12-19-2008, 4:22 PM
I feel safer already.

Thank you Antonio VivaLaRaza, you worthless POS.:chris:

RRangel
12-19-2008, 10:10 PM
This is getting rather old. The ordinance in question is more of the same foolish political action that energizes people to create something like Calguns. Hey, I'm getting re-energized.

I have a proposal that everytime the anti-gun zealots open their mouths or create more garbage laws is all the more reason to buy a new gun, finance the Calguns Foundation, or go buy and shoot some more ammo, and introduce someone new to the range. That's my New Years resolution. They open their mouths, and I increase the peace.

Of course the L.A. city council voted yes for what really amounts to their infatuation with victim disarmament. That's what it really amounts to, and they consider disallowing .50BMG ammunition sales icing on the cake.

This hype is totally political in the do nothing tax payer funded world of those who are removing our freedom in return for our hard earned tax dollars. It's the same at the state level and elsewhere where the political elite display an overt disdain for the freedom that made our country great.

It's also overwhelmingly obvious that this is nothing more than political scapegoating of inanimate objects at its finest by Jack Weiss, Mayor Villaraigosa, and Chief Bratton. Instead of less crime, and clean streets, those in the city of Los Angeles get laws that will have zero impact, except for removing our freedom.

lioneaglegriffin
12-19-2008, 10:45 PM
I feel safer already.

Thank you Antonio VivaLaRaza, you worthless POS.:chris:

+1

LMAO! :D

jamesob
12-19-2008, 10:48 PM
thank god they found a solution to the crime and murder problem in l.a.

Meplat
12-20-2008, 12:15 AM
None.

Meplat
12-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Has anyone ever actually found a gangbanger with a .50 BMG?:rolleyes:

So they want to protect the helicopters, and police cars from the gangbangers with .50cals? How many laws are already in place to prohibit the activity already? We already have the 50cal rifle ban, laws against shooting at occupied cars, laws against shooting at people, laws against gang members possessing ammo, felon in possession laws, loaded weapon in city laws, shooting in city laws. So for that one in million gang member that actually ever tried to shoot down a helicopter, all the other laws wouldn't stop him, but an LA city ordinance against buying ammo would? :banghead:

Pointcrossed
12-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Hello, This just proves LA gun control is not working!

Although there were no crimes or shootings performed with .50 cal ammunition There is a much more realistic reason that .50 cal ammunition is banned. People have to realize that it is the start of something very bad and wrong and it will be too late when people realize the truth.

LA only understands the gang related gun crime they have to deal with and what they only assume is the solution. The problem with that is (it only helps the criminals and the police) not the citizens. The system is only designed to keep gangsters and criminals in business. If it was not that way the system would fail and LA police and the legislators jobs would be reduced.

Sunwolf
12-20-2008, 7:38 AM
Read the comments:http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/New_Gun_Laws_Coming_to_LA_Los_Angeles.html?corder= regular#comments