PDA

View Full Version : Difference in M1A Socom California Legal and Others

BigD6765
12-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Okay, I'm wanting to bring out my M1A Socom from Texas to CA while I'm working out here. I know the general rules around "assault weapons" and was under the impression that the big feature on the M1A's is the flash-hider. Being that the Socom has a muzzle break by design, is there anything I have to change on it? I've never done anything to it since I bought it, so it's bone-stock.

I'm just trying to get some of my weapons out here and attempting to understand the myriad of crazy laws...

dfletcher
12-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Socom has a brake - lots of holes, no slots. Same here as TX. Only thing you can't bring are your hi cap mags.

CHS
12-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Read the flowchart.

It will answer your question.

A muzzle brake is not a flash hider.

aplinker
12-17-2008, 7:36 AM
SOCOM is GTG.

This is a good resource, along with the flow-chart:
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalCaliforniaMovingTo

xxdabroxx
12-17-2008, 7:48 AM
Is a threaded barrel an evil feature, or is that only when the barrel is <16" and your muzzle device has to be permanent?

aplinker
12-17-2008, 8:04 AM
Is a threaded barrel an evil feature, or is that only when the barrel is <16" and your muzzle device has to be permanent?

In CA a threaded muzzle on a rifle is never an AW feature. Flash suppressors are.

You're just dealing with Fed and CA short barreled rifle laws that require a barrel to be 16" OAL - which includes a permanently attached muzzle device.

CHS
12-17-2008, 10:54 AM

READ. THE. FLOWCHART.