PDA

View Full Version : Pinned and glued AR 15 magwell? WTF over.

Seesm
12-16-2008, 8:52 PM
Just heard through the grapevine they are teaching at gunsmith schools that the DOJ is telling people you must have your "in Ca" AR's magwell and mag drilled to accept a pin to keep it in and then have it epoxyed in..What the f*ck is this about?

Has anyone heard of this?

Supposidly this went through a few months ago... (in ca.)

Yes I know search is my friend but I search and I am bad at it...

Any info please let us all know and did I mention yet the people who make gun laws are retarded...? Thanks

mecam
12-16-2008, 9:22 PM
Just know this by heart and you're golden.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

-

Seesm
12-16-2008, 9:26 PM
Yeah I know this but what kind of sh*t are the DOJ people trying to teach to the new people?

Next week or so I hear they have a sit down so any direct questions you want to ask them let me know and I will forward to my buddy.

I have about 10 questions myself so far already but planning on TONS...

Too much stupid stuff in Ca. Ahhh hate it.

oaklander
12-16-2008, 9:30 PM
You need to find out WHO at the DOJ is spreading this FUD. Last year the DOJ attempted to promulgate an "underground regulation" by posting a similar memorandum at their website. Upon petition to the OAL (California Office of Administrative Law), that memo was pulled down.

Bottom line is that the DOJ can't even attempt to spread this sort of FUD.

Please find out who at the DOJ is attempting to spread this misinformation and PM me and/or hoffmang. We will make it stop.

wilit
12-16-2008, 9:31 PM
Short answer: A year or two ago the DOJ issued a couple of memos saying a fixed mag had to be permanently fixed either by epoxy & pinning or welding. "The Right People" got involved and the issue was dropped.

Super short answer: :xeno:

JeffM
12-16-2008, 9:32 PM
Get names and anything on paper you can get your hands on - emails, letters, etc. I'm sure audio/video of anyone from the DOJ stating the same would be acceptable as well.

The "right people" would be interested in it I'm sure.

oaklander
12-16-2008, 9:33 PM
I've asked the mods to move this to the 2A forum. I will also contact "The Right People" about this. . .

easy
12-17-2008, 3:45 PM
I love "The Right People"!

corrosively_armed
12-17-2008, 9:28 PM
I see keltecs or even bushmaster everytime I go to a certain gun shop that have completely sealed magazine wells. I believe the guns load through the top with a stripper clip. Frankly guys if you want an ar15 just get one of those bushmasters. Saw one a couple weeks ago for 850 One before that was a specops style for around 1500 I think. It sold soon after.

DDT
12-17-2008, 9:39 PM
I would strongly suggest having your buddy record this Q&A session. After all you wouldn't want to miss anything or attribute it to the wrong person. ;)

12-18-2008, 3:38 AM
I see keltecs or even bushmaster everytime I go to a certain gun shop that have completely sealed magazine wells. I believe the guns load through the top with a stripper clip. Frankly guys if you want an ar15 just get one of those bushmasters. Saw one a couple weeks ago for 850 One before that was a specops style for around 1500 I think. It sold soon after.

You must be new here.

ohsmily
12-18-2008, 8:11 AM

:banghead:

No thank you. I don't want one of those piece of crap sealed magazine well guns that force you to load through the top. I will either use an off list AR type rifle with a fully detachable magazine with no evil features or a fixed mag build using a bullet button so I can remove the magazine with a tool and reload it.

lrdchivalry
12-18-2008, 9:50 AM

LOL!!!!! What! You were serious?

Your better off getting an OLL with no evil features and a detachable mag or add a BB and have all the evil features and still be able to remove the magazine with the use of a tool.

bwiese
12-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Just heard through the grapevine they are teaching at gunsmith schools that the DOJ is telling people you must have your "in Ca" AR's magwell and mag drilled to accept a pin to keep it in and then have it epoxyed in..What the f*ck is this about?

Old guard gunshops/'smiths are often late on the info trail.
They could be repeating crap they heard back in 2006.
And many of those ol' boys barely use a computer so they're not up on latest info - and local DOJ isn't really gonna provide helpful info, dont'cha think?

DedEye
12-18-2008, 11:04 AM

What compelled you to provide that advice? Are you afraid off list lowers are going to be banned in two weeks?

nicki
12-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosively_armed

Actually I would prefer a AR 15 with a additional feature, a 4 position switch, safe, semi, 3 shot and full auto. Who really wants a 21st century rifle with a 19th century magazine system?

A fixed and non removable magazine means if the magazine goes bad, you now have a gunsmith problem rather than just change the magazine.

This is why detachable magazines were developed in the first place.

Nicki

NiteQwill
12-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Where have you been?

DDT
12-18-2008, 12:58 PM
What compelled you to provide that advice? Are you afraid off list lowers are going to be banned in two weeks?

If I thought that was the case I'd buy one tonight! At least then I'd be able to register it as an AW during the amnesty period that would likely follow just like every other time.

Suvorov
12-18-2008, 1:27 PM

Iggy? Is that you Iggy? :confused:

Seesm
12-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Old guard gunshops/'smiths are often late on the info trail.
They could be repeating crap they heard back in 2006.
And many of those ol' boys barely use a computer so they're not up on latest info - and local DOJ isn't really gonna provide helpful info, dont'cha think?

Good call Bill. Thanks