View Full Version : Question on how to clean my wood stock

12-16-2008, 8:37 PM
im getting a new to me (aka used) m1 carbine saturday and im wondering what i should use to clean the wooden stock? imma field strip it down and clean and oil everything but ive only every doin this to all metal and polymer handguns so im wondering what you guys use to clean your wood...whats the secret?

M. Sage
12-16-2008, 8:42 PM
I've always just rubbed wood stocks down with a rag that had a light coat of gun oil or 3 in 1 on it.

12-16-2008, 8:45 PM
it depends on how dirty or gunked up the wood is.. for dirty or gunked up wood.. I wipe down the wood with mineral spirits.. let dry then run in a coat or 2 of BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) for clean wod.. I run in a little Watco Danish Oil and let dry overnight

12-16-2008, 8:48 PM
Depending on the condition, you may want to leave it alone. There is probably a lot of history on that stock (blood, sweat, tears). If it is not a collector piece but a shooter... then go for it. Iíve used denatured alcohol on other rifles where I didn't care about the historical/collector value.

12-16-2008, 9:37 PM
To get grease out of your wood try baking the wood in your oven at 200f-250f with the stove door open a little.
wipe off the oil every 20 minutes until its all gone. This could take a couple hours.