PDA

View Full Version : So I'm joining the Marines.. going to OCS

niterida
12-16-2008, 6:47 PM
I decided over the summer to join the marines, and have been filling out all the paperwork for it over the past 4 months.

I have a bachelors in mechanical engineering and am finishing my masters in ME in march. I leave for OCS in June.

I go to MEPS on Saturday and am just wondering what to expect on saturday?

just was looking for some personal experience from people who have gone through the whole process.

any info is greatly apprieciated

Darklyte27
12-16-2008, 6:55 PM
Congrats on your decision, you choose the best branch!
You will be welcomed with warm smiles, feeling nice and fuzzy inside! :seeya:

Heres the enlisted side of training, oh so joyful and full spirited Drill Instructors. P.S. Be sure to turn up the volume, as its NSFW.
ldRrk0YphiM

enjoy!

The Soup Nazi
12-16-2008, 8:14 PM
Was looking to hit PLC when thinking about going reservist, but will be putting in for a MECEP package once I hit Corporal. I used to work out with the Berkeley OSO, and have a friend who is on the reserve side trying to go PLC in a red patcher unit in South Bay OSO.

They stress that running is pretty important on the officer side of the house, I try to do a good job in keeping up with the male officers during PFTs, but I remember being dusted by some female officers back in the stumps.

MEPS I'm assuming you'll run into the same deal of waking up early in the morning, busing over to MEPS, and doing the infamous "hurry up and wait" routine while trying to get a physical done.

niterida
12-16-2008, 8:31 PM
They stress that running is pretty important on the officer side of the house, I try to do a good job in keeping up with the male officers during PFTs, but I remember being dusted by some female officers back in the stumps.

Yeah I got the running part down, I have run and biked everyday for years. I timed myself yesterday 3 miles in 18:25 in the rain and 40 degree weather while I was visiting in chico

thanks for the info

Darklyte27
12-16-2008, 9:40 PM
boot is more mental than physical, once you are done with the easy part "boot" the real stuff comes in after.

Hey PFC Liao, what were you *job wise* in mess week?
I was lucky and got to be a "vampire" worked at night, slept all day, then the last day, we didnt get to sleep as we headed up north which sucked *** because we didnt get any sleep for 24 hours.

smokingloon
12-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Which Meps station are you going to?

Make sure you read your contract word for word and ask any questions that you may have.

ghostwong
12-17-2008, 12:11 AM
THANK YOU for your Service!

99blkxj
12-17-2008, 12:24 AM
If it was anything like when I went through Los Angeles MEPS in 99' It will be hurry up and wait.

Barriss
12-17-2008, 8:50 AM
If it was anything like when I went through Los Angeles MEPS in 99' It will be hurry up and wait.

I went through LA MEPS in 99 as well. I can still remember doing the hearing test and something was wrong with the left side of their headphones. I did poorly on my first try but explained to the woman that my ears were just fine. She said "Well maybe you deaf!" I gave it another go on another machine and did fine but I always remembered that.

Anyway, expect it to be a long boring *** day. I don't exactly remember but if you can bring something to help pass the time that would be good (book or w/e, although I don't think I'd bring headphones).

And congrats on deciding to make the jump. I think you're choosing wisely. After I got out of the AF I went back to school which is where I'm at now. I was just talking to the Marine officer recruiter here on campus (from the infamous Code Pink office in Berkeley) and was ready to make the plunge myself. Unfortunately, I developed asthma on active duty which may be tied to my MOS as a firefighter. I received 10% disability for this. I'm not sure how the hell I could get around that since it's totally documented and the regs say you can't have asthma at any point after 13 and join.

Here is a good site for you if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/class186/index.php

Good luck to you

smokingloon
12-17-2008, 10:40 AM
I remember reciting my general orders the whole time. I'm sure the recruiters at the MEPS will keep you busy or you will talk to the other pooles.

What I dont get is why, with a soon to be masters and all, do you want to join the military? It just makes more sense to pursue a career with the education that you already received. You will be making a lot more money along with less BS. Then again, I'm sure it is different on the Officer side.

CavTrooper
12-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Which Meps station are you going to?

Make sure you read your contract word for word and ask any questions that you may have.

Make sure you get the MOS you want in your contract.

Only an idiot goes open contract or "field gaurentee".

Oops, that only applies to enlisted, not officers.

niterida
12-17-2008, 8:24 PM
I remember reciting my general orders the whole time. I'm sure the recruiters at the MEPS will keep you busy or you will talk to the other pooles.

What I dont get is why, with a soon to be masters and all, do you want to join the military? It just makes more sense to pursue a career with the education that you already received. You will be making a lot more money along with less BS. Then again, I'm sure it is different on the Officer side.

I am doing the reserves, for at least the first 3.5 years. I already run a composites company making stuff for race cars, so this will allow me to keep pursuing my dream of running my own business. And if that ever fails, it sure doesn't hurt to have the marines on my resume

And my reasons for joining are many, including the fact that my dad was a captain in the army

frigginchi
12-17-2008, 8:38 PM
When you join the Marines you give up the right to make choices. The fine print says "to the needs of the Marine Corps" meaning that even tho you sign up for a certain MOS they can pretty much stick you where they need you :)

Semper Fi

smokingloon
12-17-2008, 8:38 PM
what kind of stuff do you make for race cars?

Pryde
12-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Make sure you get the MOS you want in your contract.

Only an idiot goes open contract or "field gaurentee".

I am ashamed to admit that this happened to me, but I was stupid and only 19 at the time.
:kest:

Ballistic043
12-18-2008, 5:20 AM
what kind of physical examination do they put you through in order to determine if you can go to boot camp? can they check for athsma? or do they go on medical records?

CavTrooper
12-18-2008, 7:53 AM
Basic sports type physical.

Play with the jewels, look in the tailpipe, blood, urine, eyes, stuff like that.

They dont automatically know your medical history, you have to complete a questionaire on your background.

5hundo
12-18-2008, 8:39 AM
Ugh...

MEPS...

I have been trying to forget about that, actually. They found a hernia at Meps, the first time I went through. That sucked...

Even worse was that after I had the hernia repaired, I had to go BACK to meps...

What to expect...? Well, you'll get up before the sun rises, you'll proceed to get yelled at for the fist 30 minutes while you fill out medical paperwork. You might be allowed to go first because you're an officer candidate. They singled me out and put me in the front of the line when I was there. Which was pretty cool, actually because I got done before anyone else...

You and about a dozen guys you don't know will strip down to your chones and will be given this weird assessment. During the assessment, you'll be asked to perform a bunch of "tests". I don't really remember all of them but I know one of them is to drop to your knees from a standing position. I remember that one hurting a little bit.

I didn't really have a great time on either of the occasions that I went to Meps...

niterida
12-18-2008, 8:48 AM
what kind of stuff do you make for race cars?

Car bodies out of carbon and kevlar, but I am switching away from automotive stuff because it has essentially stalled in this economy.

and MEPS for me is in San Jose, some people have asked.

From what I have understood from my OSO is that I essentially pick my MOS and base before I ever leave in June, because I am in the reserve portion of it. I will probably stationed in Alemeda.

MustangO4
12-18-2008, 9:16 AM
I'm a Marine Captain at Camp Pendleton. PM or email me if you have any questions your OSO can't/ won't answer. Don't sweat MEPS, just get through it. For OCS, integrity, integrity, integrity, you can fail nearly everything and try again, lie once and your gone. We don't want officers that apply "situational ethics".

Personally I'd recommend going active in the beginning, but that's just me. Get your business squared away enough to survive if you have to go. You will eventually.

niterida
12-19-2008, 9:27 AM
I'm a Marine Captain at Camp Pendleton. PM or email me if you have any questions your OSO can't/ won't answer. Don't sweat MEPS, just get through it. For OCS, integrity, integrity, integrity, you can fail nearly everything and try again, lie once and your gone. We don't want officers that apply "situational ethics".

Personally I'd recommend going active in the beginning, but that's just me. Get your business squared away enough to survive if you have to go. You will eventually.

thank you, that really helps to know I can talk to more than just my OSO

I am working feverishly to make sure everything with my composites is long squared away because I know I am going to be gone for extended periods of time. My fiance is a huge part of the operation of it and she will be taking over my portion when I am gone.

oh they also said I am doing my PFT on Saturday as well, we'll see how that goes, I almost coughed up a lung last night from a cold I am getting over

frigginchi
12-19-2008, 5:35 PM
Start making composite weapon parts please :)

thank you, that really helps to know I can talk to more than just my OSO

I am working feverishly to make sure everything with my composites is long squared away because I know I am going to be gone for extended periods of time. My fiance is a huge part of the operation of it and she will be taking over my portion when I am gone.

oh they also said I am doing my PFT on Saturday as well, we'll see how that goes, I almost coughed up a lung last night from a cold I am getting over

MustangO4
12-19-2008, 6:54 PM
Sounds like you have things in order.

How did the PFT go?

PolishMike
12-19-2008, 6:57 PM

How did the PFT go?

Hey Mustang. I haven't heard from you in a while. I know I talked to you about joining up last year and just wanted to let you know I'm in Air Force ROTC now, commissioning summer 2010.

MustangO4
12-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Mike,
Good to hear from you. If you're going AF, don't bother with the pilot bit, you HAVE to join OSI. It is a top notch outfit. I have worked with a lot of their agents, and they are some of the best. If I had to do it again, and was not joining the Marines, that's what I would do with no hesitation at all.

niterida
12-20-2008, 3:38 PM

How did the PFT go?

That was quite possibly the most boring thing ever, but an experience none the least. I was pretty shocked at how young all the other people were.

I was the only officer candidate there, and boy were there some strange kids there.

I didn't do the PFT today, my OSO wanted to get home and prove his wife wrong about what time he would be home. So I will be taking it in a few weeks.

I am shooting for a 100% (300 points) on the PFT, although I don't know if it does me any good, I still want to do it

MustangO4
12-20-2008, 5:05 PM
Fair enough. You make your money on the pull-ups so train to get that perfect. You have to do 20 clean dead hang pull-ups for your 100 points. An incease in 1 pull-up is the quickest way to improve your score. You should NEVER do less than the 100 crunches though. They are expected to me a gimme. For the run, for young officers, 18 is great, but under 21 is acceptable. If you take over 22 though and don't have a leg missing, you basically suck. Going to OCS with a total score over 275 is a good place to start. Some guys will never do a 300 (me for one, but I'm working on the run) but you are expected to be pretty physically fit. Especially as a Lt. You don't have to be the fastest guy in your platoon, but you better be giving that guy a run for his money.

jtv3062
12-20-2008, 5:51 PM
I was lucky and got to be a "vampire" worked at night, slept all day, then the last day, we didnt get to sleep as we headed up north which sucked .

I had nightmares of bacon and pancakes for years. sheets and sheets of bacon, and the griddles full of pancakes, Oh the horror.

The cook we had one night was cool, he let us have have coffee and a call home on the mess hall phone.

niterida good luck and stay focused.

Semper Fi

The Soup Nazi
12-20-2008, 6:09 PM
boot is more mental than physical, once you are done with the easy part "boot" the real stuff comes in after.

Hey PFC Liao, what were you *job wise* in mess week?
I was lucky and got to be a "vampire" worked at night, slept all day, then the last day, we didnt get to sleep as we headed up north which sucked *** because we didnt get any sleep for 24 hours.

They call it Team Week now, probably because they got rid of mess duty albeit. :43: Besides the standard platoon-wide police call of the parking lots, I helped move ancient footlockers and mattresses from 2nd Battalion HQ to some warehouse on base, catching a glimpse of Mainside across the parade deck.

Team week was good. The recruit underground was shooting rumors about how we'd be the last training cycle to have it. Honestly, there's no better time to get someone in the military acclaimated to working parties than right from the start!

lcpl. huynh
12-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Phone watch, truck watch, chow hall duty, mwr duty, police call, field day, working party, pccs and pcis, pm trucks, clean trucks, wash trucks, pm trucks again, stand around and wait for gunny...........still standing around waiting for gunny........missed chow because we're still standing around for gunny.........gunny shows up with a 2 page order regarding the proper use of cold weather gear and when you can wear your beanies and with which uniforms, stressing over a rumor that Jessica Biel got killed, a rumor that started right when the computers got temporarily shut down for a week. Haha, but thats the enlisted side. Just remember us enlisted marines when you go to OCS. Good luck and keep up the PT.

low94noma
12-22-2008, 4:27 PM
Get enough sleep the night before so you can wake up and hop on the bus to MEPS early in the morning. Get there and get a lecture to keep all your sh** in cubbies. Get your medical packet and called into a room to answer medical history questions, take a breathalyzer. From there, you will either do vision or hearing, take blood, blood pressure reading. Go pee into a cup with 4 other guys with a nurse looking at your tool to make sure it is real and your not tampering with your urine. Pile into a big room with 30 or more other dudes and strip into your underwear. Get height/weight/tattoos. Wait wait wait, until an older gentlemen or Hindu woman calls you into their room to drop your undies, turn your head and cough, turn around and spread your cheeks. After that, go over your medical history with the doctor, pile back into the big room, take a mobility test. From there, you get signed off if you pass and eat lunch. After lunch you wait some more until swearing in. That is as much as I can think of.

Darklyte27
12-22-2008, 4:57 PM
Thats what I meant, Team week.. haha do they still use "ears" click sir, "eyeballs" open sir, or ZEROOOO!! Freeze or die!!

JTV, we had to mix 5 gallons of BBQ sauce with 400 lbs of frozen chicken wings and legs with our hands in a horse troff looking thing!! My hands never felt so damn numb before!

I still remember changing into sleep wear standing next to the beach during December too, damn recruits had to keep moving so we had to strip down to tighty whiteys all over again 3 times..

5hundo, I had the same thing, its not uncommon. I had a stinkin hernia too and had to get it fixed and return to MEPS a few months later..

jtv3062
12-22-2008, 5:24 PM
Darklyte, sounds like a B52.

Pvt. Cowboy
12-22-2008, 9:24 PM
What the heck is 'Team Week'? That replaced Mess Duty?

I did MCRD-SD back in the mid-'80s. I got lucky and dished out hamburgers in that little enlisted chow hall over near the PX. Two years later, I actually ate chow there once and watched recruits dishing out hamburgers.

Anyway, I just hope the OP gets a good duty station. I swore that I will never return to North Carolina ever EVER again. EVER.

Soldier415
12-23-2008, 5:54 AM
I got sent way back to the end of the line during the physical at meps. Apparently it is not okay to serenade the doc while he is knelt down performing the hernia check.

Ballistic043
12-23-2008, 9:35 AM
is that slang for you farted in his face?

niterida
02-18-2009, 7:23 PM
I have my PFT tomorrow.
they cut the last one short, because I had cracked 2 ribs back in December and wanted me to be at full health for it.
wish me luck

smokingloon
02-18-2009, 9:05 PM
Don't need luck. You should pass with flying colors.

How the hell do you break ribs during OCS?

niterida
03-10-2009, 9:00 PM
Don't need luck. You should pass with flying colors.

How the hell do you break ribs during OCS?

I am not at OCS, still in school. I hurt them playing with my little nephew in the snow. that's what I get for showing off to a 3 y/o.

anyway, I got a 267, really lame I wanted to do better but didn't have much energy the other day

f4tweet
03-16-2009, 9:47 AM
Marines is capitalized, Sir.