View Full Version : Service rifle mentor

12-16-2008, 3:04 PM
Ive been wanting to shoot service rifle competitions for a while now.

Is there anyone in the orange or la county area that can show a total beginner the ropes.

Ive got an m14, a shooting mat and open ears.

12-16-2008, 4:12 PM
Assuming the weather forecast holds for this Sunday (no high winds, no rain), there's going to be an informal (non-sanctioned) 80 round aggregate at the West End Gun Club. That's a good place to practice since the match isn't run very strict as far as time is concerned. You should definitely consider going so you can learn the basic procedures during a High Power Rifle match.

For any Service Rifle HP match, you'll need at least two magazines, since the rapid fire stages require shooting 2 rounds followed by a mandatory reload, and shooting 8 rounds from the 2nd magazine. You'll also need a sling, either a USGI style web sling or a 1907 style leather sling.

For an 80 round aggregate, you need 88 rounds minimum, since there are 4 stages of fire, with 20 rounds for record and 2 sighters per stage. You should bring extra ammo just in case you need to shoot an alibi string though.

After that, everything is 'optional'

There's supposed to be a reduced course High Power match at the Angeles Range, but I don't know who runs that. You could contact the range and see if they can get you contact info for the match director. A reduced course match is a good place to learn since you don't have to worry too much about moving from line to line and is a great way to learn fundamentals (position, NPA, sight picture/alignment, trigger control) and not have to worry much about wind.

12-17-2008, 8:07 PM
Thanks for the information.

Looking at the calendar last night it says the high power match is canceled for this sunday at WEGC.

Ill see if angeles is still holding theirs.

12-17-2008, 8:43 PM
I'm not sure where you're seeing that it's cancelled, but I just got an email from my friend who runs the HP match at WEGC and the match is still on. The only thing that would prevent it assuming the no rain forecast for this Sunday holds, is whether or not the river bed is too flooded for vehicle access.

If you want to go to it, just email m1garandman AT mac DOT com and 'pre-reg'. That way, if it is cancelled due to flooding or weather, you'll get an alert.

This Sunday's WEGC match will be an 800 point aggregate, check-in by 0730, shooting starts at around 0800.

12-17-2008, 9:58 PM
well thats what i get for reading half asleep, was looking at the wrong weekend.

Thanks for correcting me, ill shoot off that email right now.

12-18-2008, 8:23 AM
Hi Josh,

Check the SMGC website in a couple of days and the next year's schedule will be posted.

There are plenty of folks that will mentor you through the H P game.

Just show up for the next practice/ match and myself, or another highly qualified member will take you under wing and show you the ropes.

Hope to see you out there soon,

John Hermsen, President