PDA

View Full Version : SKS...Yugo or Chinese

niccnak
12-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Im thinking about gettnig an SKS and was wondering what are the differences between the Yugo and the Chinese models and also, which do you guys think is better and why? Also, If I put a Dragunov type stock on it, then what do I need to do to make it CA Compliant, and where I could get that done in Southern California? Thanks.

radioburning
12-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I like the yugo. Something about it just seems beefier, or more rugged to me. Stay away from the Dragonov stock for the SKS, they make it a PITA to clean. If you want a Dragonov, get a Dragonov. Or get a Romanian PSL for a lot less $.

acolytes
12-16-2008, 1:10 PM
I just bought a really nice Yugo 59 from a forum member last weekend. You will find some at fair prices here.

Baron
12-16-2008, 4:09 PM
Stay away from the Dragonov stock for the SKS, they make it a PITA to clean.

Actually the ATI one is the one that makes it a pain in the arse to clean. and is really cheap and doesn't come with an upper handguard.... it's really a cheap piece of junk

But Choate make a really nice Dragunov stock that allows field striping and clean like normal. Plus it comes with an upper handguard and spacers for the stock. it's a very sturdy stock

But using either one means you have to play the 922r game. It's not worth it to most people and all the purest will hate you for "Bubba'ing" your SKS

didn't stop me though...LOL

But back to the OP.... The norinco's are cheaper made and have alot of tooling marks. and if they have a bayonet most are the spike "Pig Sticker"... early sino versions have the blade, but those are really rare. Also norinco came out with a shorter barrel version called the Paratrooper with a 16" barrel

The Yugos seem to be alot more sturdy and heavier. they tend to have a blade bayo and most originally had the Gernade lanching Muzzle brake, but that is usually removed or modified to be non functional. most still have the nade sights too

I like my Norinco, but I would like to get a Yugo too... or a Russian, or a Romanian, or a Albanian.... Heck I want em all

workinwifdakids
12-16-2008, 5:11 PM
Yugos are beefier. And the Chinese are Godless communists.

Vacaville
12-16-2008, 6:01 PM
Love my Yugo.

Gator Monroe
12-16-2008, 6:26 PM
Get a 1980 (P series) or newer M59/66A1 blonde Unissued/as new and you are getting a New Rifle that is more Robust than a chinese with fine European Craftsmanship & furniture (But if you can get a D or M chinese paratrooper with a 10 round Fixed mag installed insted of the detachable mag)

railroader
12-16-2008, 8:55 PM
I had 2 really nice 59/66 yugos. I have 2 chinese sks. One is a factory scoped paratrooper and the other is standard one that is clean. I sold the yugos because the chinese rifles are lighter and handle better. The chinese rifles actually have a better trigger than the yugos I had.

Titans
12-16-2008, 10:04 PM
the chinese rifles are lighter and handle better. The chinese rifles actually have a better trigger than the yugos I had.

+ they have chrome lined barrels. The reasons quoted + this made me go with a Norinco SKS. But I really like the looks of the yugo.They got all the extras in front like a bayonet instead of a spike and the grenade launcher site. It looks more aggressive. But you can always add to the Chinese SKS.

Gp100
12-16-2008, 10:08 PM
I have both,Chinese sks ,yugo 59/66 and the really rare early "yugo 59 no grenade launcher".
1.Yugo 59/66 is a rife not a carbine,it is way to long for me and front heavy,but very high quality,it also won't rise as much when you shoot it, it can have gas tube issues and mine did,it ejects shells 2-3 feet,thats the only gun i own that I cant trust.IMO.... NO/maybe:(

2. chinese sks is light short and handy,it also has a chromed lined barrel,it works flawlessly,ejects the brass 14 feet. IMO... YES;)

3.Yugo 59 "no grenade launcher". Now this is the cream of the crop of all sks's
ever made period. Quality is excellent,heavier than a chinese because its built like a tank,balance is excellent,ejects brass 10 feet,and the wood is A+ man I love that gun. With all yugo's you must check the barrel.IMO......HELL YES :D

Quiet
12-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Dragunov style SKS stock = thumbhole stock = meets Federal "sporting purpose" definition = no 922r parts game.

Baron
12-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Dragunov style SKS stock = thumbhole stock = meets Federal "sporting purpose" definition = no 922r parts game.

I've read both yes and no... But I like to be cautious, most people think that you can't even own a SKS... I'm always having to correct people

skateboarder74
12-17-2008, 8:20 AM
Yugo all the way

thefurball
12-17-2008, 8:36 AM
Yugo.

railroader
12-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post

I've read both yes and no... But I like to be cautious, most people think that you can't even own a SKS... I'm always having to correct people
______

Saigas are imported with dragunov stocks and all russian parts. Why would a sks be any different? Mark

AJAX22
12-17-2008, 12:32 PM
chinese have better barrels, yugo's have better (made) trigger assemblies

you pay's your doller, you takes your chance.

Gator Monroe
12-17-2008, 2:24 PM
1949-51 Russian Tula arsonal SKS's (with original spring loaded FP from factory) are best SKS's ever produced but a Recent era (80-89) Yugo M59/66A1 is a far better weapon than any Chinese SKS except a D or M model paratrooper (But for PRK you would have to have a fixed 10 rounder on it)

Alaric
12-17-2008, 5:13 PM
I have used both, and prefer the Yugo. Just be sure to keep it clean. Lacking a chrome lining, the barrel is prone to pitting.

My Yugo 59/66 was like a gateway drug for me. It led me down the slippery slope to my AR, my Sig 556, my Remi.... :)

sedville
10-24-2010, 8:07 PM
i beg to differ that a yugo has a better trigger assembly, everything about my Chinese sks is MILLED ,trigger , gastube, and receiver , plus the barrel is chromelined and has very deep rifling unlike the cheaper made yugo barrels, so i dont see how a yugo is in anyway remotely better than a pre-ban chinese military. seeing how all the yugos i have seen have a Pined barrel. oh and as far as cleaning goes with the dragonov stock on the sks i dont see how anbody could have a problem with cleaning, i can literally take the stock off in 5 to 6 secs with a screwdriver, but i guess if your to lazy to clean your gun properly this could be a problem for you.

sedville
10-24-2010, 8:14 PM
Yugos are beefier. And the Chinese are Godless communists.
they are not beefier and i guess your right about the chinese are communist though lol

pantera52
10-24-2010, 8:19 PM
Yugo for sure. Ive got two.

paul0660
10-24-2010, 8:23 PM
I have had several of both, and kept one Chinese. Better balance, nicely made, chrome barrel.

The yugos were made by commies too, btw.