PDA

View Full Version : Attn sks experts: Yugo 59 - Draganov - detach mag - legal?

bronco1500
12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
First I tried to do a search. However I couldnt even find any titles with "sks" in them so here I go...

I know the sks can be tricky. I just want to check before I make any changes to the original configuration.

As I understand it the Yugo 59 is NOT a sks. It is a Zastava model 59. The rifle does not say sks on it anywhere. Therefore a detach mag should be ok...similar to the saiga's. But is a draganov stock considered a thumb-hole stock? I seem to remember that it was not considered a thumb-hole stock....maybe I am mixing up a dream with reality. It would be cool. But being cool is not worth a trip to the county lock-up.

Will the bayonet make any difference?

Any help and/or links to info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you gentlemen

Hopi
12-16-2008, 12:29 PM
You can use detachable mags on your Zastava model 59. If you make those changes, you must follow 922r compliance.

The Dragunov stock is indeed a thumbhole stock and would not be legal with detachable mags.

The bayonet is not an evil feature in CA.

bronco1500
12-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Thats the 10 or less thing I have heard about. What are the more common changes that people make. Is it you have to change 10 things to be usa made or is it the gun can only have 10 or less foreign parts. I never understood the meaning.

Oh well on the stock...should have figured.

Thanks!!

niccnak
12-16-2008, 12:46 PM
So if the rifle says SKS on it then its illegal in Cali? Also, how would you make it 922 compliant, (what parts would you need to change)?

Hopi
12-16-2008, 12:48 PM
So if the rifle says SKS on it then its illegal in Cali?
No.

Also, how would you make it 922 compliant, (what parts would you need to change)?

http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Josh3239
12-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Umm, how can the dragunov stock not be a thumbhole stock? It is made specifically so that your thumb penetrates the stock :confused:

No the SKS is not on the ban list, you need to read it. SKS with detachable magazines is on the ban list.

niccnak
12-16-2008, 12:56 PM
can you fix the magazine pretty easily on one thta has detachable magazines, like a bullet button or raddlock or something?

bronco1500
12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
I thought i remembered somebody asked the atf and they stated that it was a specific type of stock and not considered a pistol grip or thumbhole...but this might have been for somebody outside of cali....or i dreamed it up one night.

so I need to change out 5 parts on my 59 to keep it legal with detach mags...Right. I dont have a grenade launcher ( 59 not 59/66)

Hopi
12-16-2008, 1:01 PM
can you fix the magazine pretty easily on one thta has detachable magazines, like a bullet button or raddlock or something?

This thread needs to take a timeout.

The SKS is a fixed-magazine rifle by design. You do not need a bullet button or raddlock, just an original magazine.

Hopi
12-16-2008, 1:02 PM
I thought i remembered somebody asked the atf and they stated that it was a specific type of stock and not considered a pistol grip or thumbhole...but this might have been for somebody outside of cali....or i dreamed it up one night.

Perhaps that was for 922r compliance and a thumbhole stock is considered to be of "sporting" use.....I don't know for certain.

ke6guj
12-16-2008, 1:03 PM
I thought i remembered somebody asked the atf and they stated that it was a specific type of stock and not considered a pistol grip or thumbhole...but this might have been for somebody outside of cali....or i dreamed it up one night.that would be ATF talking about Federal law, not CA law.

jinggoyd1967
12-19-2008, 8:13 AM
If you use a conventional stock (not a thunbhole or pistol gripped), you can have a 10-round detachable magazine and still be CA and 922r compliant.
If you use a thumbhole stock, you must have a fixed mag otherwise it will not be CA compliant although it is Fed legal.

Baron
12-19-2008, 9:24 AM
Perhaps that was for 922r compliance and a thumbhole stock is considered to be of "sporting" use.....I don't know for certain.

I've heard both... yes and no on that one, so in my book it's up in the air

But as far as the OP ask parts I changed out on my Norinco SKS is
Tapco Gas Piston = 1 part
Choate Stock and handguard = 2 parts
Tapco fixed 10/20 mag = 2 parts

That puts the SKS at 10 imported parts, 922r compliant means 10 or less and 10 makes it

As far as detachable mags in SKS are concerned... there were late model made that take AK mags, but I think those are Norinco SKS's and illegal in PRK... I could be wrong though. There are also kits out there to do the conversion, I just don't have the money to fight a wrongful arrest do to a detachable mag in a Non-SKS SKS... But as long as it doesn't say SKS on the rifle anywhere it's not a SKS it's not a SKS, so you can use detacjhable mags as long as no other evil features are present

BTW the original fixed box Mag works the best, feeds the best and loads the best. The tapco one is the second best, but can be a pain to load with stripper clips some of the time